Royal Caribbean and same sex marriage recognition

Lexster

Does anyone happen to have any insight on this? I know that RC's home port is the Bahamas and they don't recognize same sex marriage, but what about on the ship? If, say, my husband were to get injured on the ship and needed to go in the clinic, would they recognize me as legally next of kin or would I have issues? I'd just like to be aware. Obviously the hope is to never need to even be in the situation, but you never know what could happen.

• Thanks 1

We visited the medical facilities on Royal Caribbean a few times, (minor incidents) we were both present and treated very well. Staff was very respectful.  I do worry about how we would be treated if we had to go to a hospital in the Bahamas or one of the Caribbean islands, hopefully we will never find out.  We bring a copy of our Certificate of Marriage with us, just in case.

Enjoy your cruise 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vibe said:

We visited the medical facilities on Royal Caribbean a few times, (minor incidents) we were both present and treated very well. Staff was very respectful.  I do worry about how we would be treated if we had to go to a hospital in the Bahamas or one of the Caribbean islands, hopefully we will never find out.  We bring a copy of our Certificate of Marriage with us, just in case.

Enjoy your cruise 🙂

Thanks! That definitely makes me feel better. Honestly, we're just going to get off the ship in Perfect Day and spend the day. We'll probably only go to Nassau just outside the port to the shopping areas for a couple hours before getting back on the ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lexster said:

Thanks! That definitely makes me feel better. Honestly, we're just going to get off the ship in Perfect Day and spend the day. We'll probably only go to Nassau just outside the port to the shopping areas for a couple hours before getting back on the ship.

Enjoy!  Make happy memories. 🏖️

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On board - Yes, the ship recognizes you as a married couple.  In January, we cruised 2 weeks to Hawaii on Princess Cruises and every time we walked by a kiosk, the panel lit up with a Happy Anniversary to us (16 years, which was  1-21)!  Before gay marriage was legal, we had Durable Power's of Attorney...  Those should still work in countries that don't recognize our status in America.

No description available.

Edited by MishelleMcc
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, MishelleMcc said:

On board - Yes, the ship recognizes you as a married couple.  In January, we cruised 2 weeks to Hawaii on Princess Cruises and every time we walked by a kiosk, the panel lit up with a Happy Anniversary to us (16 years, which was  1-21)!  Before gay marriage was legal, we had Durable Power's of Attorney...  Those should still work in countries that don't recognize our status in America.

No description available.

I travel with that paperwork which is a pain, but you never know, whether or not a legal document in North America would be honored elsewhere IDK.

That's nice that the Princess board did that, I'm assuming it knows your nearby because of the medallions?

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:41 AM, Lexster said:

Does anyone happen to have any insight on this? I know that RC's home port is the Bahamas and they don't recognize same sex marriage, but what about on the ship? If, say, my husband were to get injured on the ship and needed to go in the clinic, would they recognize me as legally next of kin or would I have issues? I'd just like to be aware. Obviously the hope is to never need to even be in the situation, but you never know what could happen.

My recommendation is for an Advance Healthcare Directive on each other. My then partner, now husband, went to the medical center on a Princess ship with an upset stomach, now we know better. Anyway, he was kept in observation for many hours, in the mean time they would not release any information to me, even if  I called from the cabin. Fortunately our travel agent was on the same cruise and she was able to get some information. 
We are married now, and have Advance Healthcare directive and Power of Attorney on each other. Keep paper copies and pdf files on our phones. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, atexsix said:

I travel with that paperwork which is a pain, but you never know, whether or not a legal document in North America would be honored elsewhere IDK.

That's nice that the Princess board did that, I'm assuming it knows your nearby because of the medallions?

Yup!  the Medallions worked pretty well for us on board!  Good Idea about traveling with the paperwork...  We are Doing Panama Canal (Old Locks) in Jan 2023... 

• 8 months later...