St. Lewis in November - Mississippi River Cruise

tgo's

I will be sailing on the Mississippi Queen this November, and at the end of the cruise spending a couple days in St. Lewis. I would love to hear people's advice on where to go and what to see. I will be in town from Nov 8th to the 10th - will there be any events happening that I should plan for?

A very important question to me - where to eat while I am in town. When I travel I like to stay away from chain restaurants and eat somewhere that is localy owned and run. Food I like to eat - just about anything - Italian is a favorite - since it is St. Lewis I would love to hear about great places for barbeque. Restaurants don't need to be fancy - just have good food.

Any advice for me on how to get around town? I do not want to rent a car.

Thanks in advance for sharing your favorites with me.

We went to St. Louis for our honeymoon MANY years ago. I do still remember going up the arch. I think that is something everyone visiting St. Louis should do. We also went back in the summer and went to Grant's Farm where the Clydesdales are raised. I don't know about doing that in November. I guess a lot would depend on the weather. They also had a great zoo. I bet it is even better now.

Hope this is some help.

St Louis is a great place to visit. We live about 25 miles west of downtown st louis. As Sheffie said, the arch is the best place to first visit. St. Louis has a great public transportation system called the Metro Link. You can buy day passes or one way passes to ride around the town. It goes to tons of places such as the arch, Union Station (old train station now a St. Louis landmark mall area which I highly recommend for shopping and lunch, they got a great hard rock cafe there.)

From Union station you can walk to the savvis center (hockey rink where the St. Louis blues play) or you can walk to the new busch stadium they are building. It will be done by the time you are here maybe you can take a tour of the stadium. If you like beautiful buildings I also recommend the fabulous fox theatre. It's were all the broadway shows come, it is absolutely breathtaking!! One of my other favorite stops is the brewery tour. you get to tour the anheiser-busch brewery, it is really alot of fun and you get free samples at the end of the tour.

Hmmm. The zoo is awesome, the St.Louis science center is amazing!! The art museum is a must see!! All of these attractions are in Forest Park which you can take the link to and walk around this HUGE park and visit the different attractions. Grant's Farm is nice, but it is in the south side of town. I would recommend the others since they are more in downtown st louis.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!! Or if you need any website or anything else just let me know. My email is lorahutches@hotmail.com St. Louis is a great city to visit TONS of free attractions for the whole family to enjoy!!

Lora

Forgot about your dining question. St. Louis has a great place to eat on top of the millinium hotel. it rotates as you dine and you get a great view of the city from up there. The food is also excellent. There is also a part of town called the Hill. OMG, the italian food here is UNBELIEVABLE. The restaraunts are mostly family owned and operated, and amazing. This is one area you should look into for a great diner or lunch.

http://www.diningstl.com/TheHill.htm

I am looking forward to my time in St. Louis (so sorry I miss-spelled this in the original post).

The hotel provided by the Cruise line will be across the street from the Arch - and going to the top is high on my to do list.

I have been hearing great things about The Hill area and plan to go there - any specific favorites I should be checking out?

Thank you for the tip on the view restaurant - My St. Louis stay is at the end of the cruise so I don't know what my budget for restaurants will be - or how much I will still be wanting to eat :rolleyes: - but this is now on my list - even if it is just to go up for an appetizer and dessert for light meal.

I have been hearing great things about the Zoo and am glad to hear it will be easy to get to and has so much more to do in the same area. I think St. Louis has some of the Seattle elephant handlers on loan right now to help in the delivery of your baby elephants - My niece has told me I have to get pictures of the baby elephants.

Please keep any other advice comming as you think of it - and thanks again.

Rigazzi's is one of my favorite restaurants on the hill.

The Laclede's landing area is also interesting. There are quite a few restaurants there. There used to be a dinner theatre place on the landing called the Royal Dumpe. Bawdy humor, lots of fun.

Have a great trip!

Archived