ferry through canal tour

LDinCT

I have booked this for our Zaandam sailing and I'm having second thoughts. Do you go through any locks while on the ship or is the only way to see locks is on the ferry. I'm reading that the trip takes 8-10 hours. I don't have that kind of patience to stay out that long in the hot sun and I'm sure my child won't either. Is it really that long. I'm also reading about not enough seats and the buses being a problem. Thinking I'm going to sorely regret this excursion. Anyone been on any HAL ferry shore excursions? Thanks.

Hi there: Maybe I can help you. Even though I sailed the Panama Canal on Princess, it was r/t from Fll and was called a partial transit. The ship did go through one of the locks(Gatun Locks) then it sailed into Gatun Lake and then passengers using tenders went off for their excursion. I did the ferry ride on Princess when then sailed across Gatun Lake and went through the other two locks on the pacific ride. Then we boarded a bus for the ride back. Now it did take 7-8 hrs and I would imagine with a child that would be a long time for he/her. Baut it was a great excursion and am not sorry that I took it. If you have any more questions just ask.

marilyn

We have the ferry excursion booked on the 3/5 Zaandam sailing. Many posters have been pleased with this excursion. Here's a review from a year ago: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=143158&highlight=ferry

Even the posters that have been happy with the excursion comment on how long it is. I've read that it can be about 3 1/2 hours on the ferry (more if there are long waits for the locks) and about 90 minutes to return to the ship by bus. There's some additional time involved in tendering off the Zaandam after the Gatun Locks and getting to the ferry.

This is our first trip to Panama, and since I don't know when we may return, I'm determined to ride all the way through the canal. We have two teenagers, and I'll make sure they have their ipods and a book. We've subjected them to many other long rides and they are always good sports. (and we've agreed to go on the zipline canopy tour in Costa Rica.)

I'm fascinated by the canal, so I know this is the right excursion for me, even though it's a long one, but it all depends on what interests you.

I'll see if the ship has some additional information about the ferry - a/c, bathrooms, seats, etc and how full it is. If I'm assured of getting a seat, air conditioning is available as well as refreshments and bathrooms I should be ok. Thank goodness for ipods and books. Now this is really bad, thinking of getting the ipod video because this is such a long cruise and there may not be too many kids on board.

I just have a hard time commiting to such a long shore excursion on vacation.

I'd be interested to hear what you find out from HAL (although it would take a lot to dissuade me from this excursion).

I see you've been on the Vision, too. We did the Mexican Riviera on Vision last year and loved it. We've never been to the Caribbean and are really looking forward to the Zaandam.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes! As a parent you know your child better than anyone else. If you already feel they will need to be electronically entertained on this excursion, by all means don't do it! Wait until they are mature enough to enjoy and appreciate it. I'm sure your fellow passengers will be grateful, too.

Just last week I did Carnival's ferry tour through the canal. It was quit interesting but a bit overpriced at $175. We traveled from the Atlantic side (Colon) to Balboa on the Pacific where we boarded our ferry. The ferry passed through both the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks onto Gaylord Cut before stopping and us getting back on the bus at Gamboa. We didn't go all the way through end to end. Lunch was a bit spartan with a plain turkey sandwich and a muffin + plus all the soft drinks and water we wanted. All things considered it was a good tour.

One word of advice ...book a tour in Panama. Don't go out on your own.

Archived