Currently on Encore and have a question

christybell

Hi

We have cruised Escape a couple of times and really like the ship. Often spent the morning on deck front at the ship and afternoon aft  Currently on Encore and struggling to find any outdoor spots for some sun worshipping that isn't pool deck!! ( which was packed on sea day with only 1700 passengers on board)

Am I missing any secret spots 😎? Seems like a severe lack of outside space compared to other ships with no outdoor access to the front of the ship and no loungers aft.

Any suggestions for a quiet spot with loungers?

Having a great time regardless 😌 

Compared to the Bliss (also a Breakaway-Plus class ship) the Encore moved the laser tag to where Spice H20 was and expanded the Vibe to the space where the laser tag was.  The only free sun deck space is the pool deck and the area on the deck above it surrounding the pool.

For this reason I'm planning to avoid the Encore in any way possible.

One of the biggest complaints about the Encore is it's lack of free sun space.  I was on the Escape for the first time earlier this month and I missed the Observation Lounge as a quiet space to relax, but I am not a sun worshiper.  My quiet spot on that ship was the Waterfront but on the shady side.  Wish I could give you a more positive answer but I will go totally off topic and recommend Onda for dinner. Possibly one of the best meals I have ever had on an NCL ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

One of the biggest complaints about the Encore is it's lack of free sun space.  I was on the Escape for the first time earlier this month and I missed the Observation Lounge as a quiet space to relax, but I am not a sun worshiper.  My quiet spot on that ship was the Waterfront but on the shady side.  Wish I could give you a more positive answer but I will go totally off topic and recommend Onda for dinner. Possibly one of the best meals I have ever had on an NCL ship.  Enjoy your cruise!

Still off topic... what did you have at Onda?

Back on topic... sailing on Encore for the first time in less than 2 months.  Thanks for sharing the info about the lack of that kind of space.

11 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Still off topic... what did you have at Onda?

It was back in September and I honestly don't remember but there were 4 of us who each had a different appetizer, entree and dessert and we all loved them.  And about half way thru the meal they brought us a white pizza that we talked about the rest of the cruise. We wanted to go back just to get that pizza but ran out of time.  Sorry I wasn't much help but I don't think you will go wrong with whatever you order.

Thanks folks appreciate the replies.  This was booked last minute as the dates worked after Covid cancelled our Jan trip so I hadn't really investigated the ship and assumed it was a lit like Escape.

The observation deck is stunning, just wish you could access outside for best of both worlds.

Will check out Onda, thanks!

1 minute ago, debenson0723 said:

It was back in September and I honestly don't remember but there were 4 of us who each had a different appetizer, entree and dessert and we all loved them.  And about half way thru the meal they brought us a white pizza that we talked about the rest of the cruise. We wanted to go back just to get that pizza but ran out of time.  Sorry I wasn't much help but I don't think you will go wrong with whatever you order.

This very helpful... I'll check out the white pizza for sure.  Had eaten in Onda before and enjoyed what we had very much.

We spend a lot of time relaxing (i.e. reading) on the waterfront when on breakaway class (and breakaway+) ships.   Chairs are comfy and you can choose between sunny or shady side.    

We don't plan to do Encore because our sundeck of choice is H2O Spice and NCL for some bizarre reason) chose to replace it with a laser tag arena or similar money grab.  That of course doesn't help your current situation, but maybe someone at NCL reads these boards and can "fix" the Encore during a future refresh.

From the deck plans it appears you are correct and the only complimentary sundecks are on 16&17 around the pool.   It's possible there's a small area on 18 just forward of the deck 17 port side sundeck.   (It's unclear if that's reserved for Haven or public, since there are several higher spots specifically listed as Haven sun decks.  The Vibe area on Encore is pretty large, which is also too bad.    Seems like NCL chose to turn any potential adult (quiet) sun spots into money grabs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

I was under the impression Encore (and Bliss for that matter) was purpose-built for Alaska, i.e. colder location where people might not want to be outside the whole time.

That makes sense - it's got the big (climate controlled) observation lounge.   That's also supposed to be a great quiet spot for reading and relaxing, but probably will go underutilized on Encore's current Caribbean itineraries.   I'm on Joy next week (which also has the observation lounge) and am looking forward to checking it [observation deck] out as a good read/relax spot.   From the videos, photos and reviews, it looks like NCL struck a better balance between adult quiet areas and active zones with the Joy.  (They still managed to cram in a laser tag, racetrack, and fairly large Vibe area without sacrificing the Spice H2O.  Though I have seen complaints about the pool area itself.)  The Joy was originally designed for the Asian market but was refitted for US audiences a couple years back. 

1 hour ago, scorpioncrawl said:

Also, is there a walking track

There's a "Jogging track" clearly called out on the deck plans, deck 17, just be mindful of people actually jogging. https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/encore/deck-plans

Oh, and that jogging track passes between a screen and the superstructure when it crosses at the forward end (you can kind of see the support structure indicated on the deck plan), or it does on the similar ships Bliss and Joy.  A quick search of ship tours on YouTube should have at least brief showings of the screen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorpioncrawl said:

Is there an outdoor movie screen on Encore? One site states there is, another says no. Also, is there a walking track? And is there soft serve ice cream anywhere?

Yes. Movies are shown outside.

Yes. Walking track.

Yes. Soft serve in buffet.

Was on the Encore in December. Loved it.

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone can comment.

I’ve been on the Escape, and love it. I’m going on the Encore in a few weeks, and definitely looking forward to the Observation Lounge.

From what it sounds like, Bliss seems to be the ideal ship now, combining the best of each of the two aforementioned ships (Spice H2O/deck space from Escape and Obs Lounge from Encore). Is this true?

If so, I may look into Bliss in the future!

46 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

I’ve been on the Escape, and love it. I’m going on the Encore in a few weeks, and definitely looking forward to the Observation Lounge.

From what it sounds like, Bliss seems to be the ideal ship now, combining the best of each of the two aforementioned ships (Spice H2O/deck space from Escape and Obs Lounge from Encore). Is this true?

Take a look at Joy as well.   Very similar to Bliss.   Probably the choice between East and West coast itineraries will be a deciding factor.  

There are a few other differences (Bliss has thermal suite and studios, Joy has inside suites and has a huge hot tub in H2O).

8 hours ago, christybell said:

Any suggestions for a quiet spot with loungers?

My favorite outdoor spot on the Encore, as well as some of the other BA and BA+ ships, is Deck 8 on the waterfront.  My inside favorite is the observation lounge on Deck 15.  Each ship, even those of the same class, is a bit different, so some like the Encore feature less space in the sun and more indoor lounge areas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

I have been on Bliss 3 times and Encore twice.  I always say if Bliss had Onda on it, I would probably never sail another NCL ship but her.  The Bliss is very quiet and smooth...half the time I can't even tell if we are moving (and I have sailed the Panama Canal, Pacific Coastal and Mexican Riviera so various seas).  The Encore to me is very creaky and if you follow some posts on that ship, has some problems in the aft area (and I had a very loud cabin in the front).  I really want to try the Joy but without a Thermal Spa or studios (I am mostly a solo traveler), I just can't get myself to book it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 8:09 PM, debenson0723 said:

I really want to try the Joy but without a Thermal Spa or studios (I am mostly a solo traveler), I just can't get myself to book it.

Kind of off-topic, but I'm trying the Joy in less than 10 days!  Got a deal on a balcony as I just booked this past weekend.  I can compare them for you, but I do hear the Joy seems to have some vibration issues in the aft cabins.  I agree that the Bliss sailed SMOOTH, could hardly tell we were moving!