St Peter Port - Guernsey - port of call information

On 7/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, Adventures ahead said:

We had the pleasure of touring around the island on a previous cruise and did an excellent walking tour with Annette Henry (booked in advance). Looking forward to returning!

Can we get a taxi from the port to the Underground Hospital or German Occupation Museums?

Would the taxi wait or could they call for a return taxi?

Cash or credit card for a taxi? Approx cost?

If only wanting to visit one, and spend the rest of our time in St. Peter Port, would you recommend one over the other?

Yes, you can take a taxi from the port to either the Underground Hospital or German Occupation Museum.  There are limited taxis at the port, there is a rank approx 100 meters away, again could not guarantee that there will be taxis waiting when you arrive.

The taxi would wait (for a fee), otherwise it would be difficult to obtain a return taxi.  

Cash is acceptable, some may have credit card machines, but not all.

I would not have any idea on costs.

If you were only to visit one, I would say the German Occupation Museum.

You could access both sites by using public transport if you wish.  see www.buses.gg

Otherwise there are accredited tour guides who could arrange tours to both sites and more.  Tours of Guernsey (who are 5 star rated on TripAdvisor) do offer a Highlights of Guernsey tour which takes in The Little Chapel, the Underground Hospital and The German Occupation Museum.  These are private tours.  see www.toursofguernsey.com/tours

I hope the above helps.  Whatever you choose to do ashore, enjoy your day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

@Guernseycruiser
We will be visiting St. Peter Port next month, 4 adults and 1 three year old toddler.

We are looking at doing the Petit Train, am I correct that we can not book these tickets in advance, but only at the port?

Do you have any suggestions of what to do after that tour that will keep our toddler engaged.

Yes you are correct, you cannot book tickets for the Petit Train in advance.  When you arrive on the pier, you can book tickets for a specific time later in the day, you do not have to wait and queue.

To be honest, suggestions for a toddler are limited if you are going to stay in St Peter Port.  There is a children's library (within the public Guilles Allez library), which would have things to amuse.  Guernsey Museum at Candie Gardens may have something, currently there is a Lego exhibition but this is due to finish shortly.  There are some small farms etc and beaches, soft play areas, parks etc but these are "out of St Peter Port" therefore you would need transport.

Thanks for the response. I think she will be fine if we walk around a little bit, do the train tour, and then find a quick bite to eat. Just looked at the museum’s website and the childrens area looks interesting, adding that to our maybe list. 

10 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

Yes, you can take a taxi from the port to either the Underground Hospital or German Occupation Museum.  There are limited taxis at the port, there is a rank approx 100 meters away, again could not guarantee that there will be taxis waiting when you arrive.

The taxi would wait (for a fee), otherwise it would be difficult to obtain a return taxi.  

Cash is acceptable, some may have credit card machines, but not all.

I would not have any idea on costs.

If you were only to visit one, I would say the German Occupation Museum.

You could access both sites by using public transport if you wish.  see www.buses.gg

Otherwise there are accredited tour guides who could arrange tours to both sites and more.  Tours of Guernsey (who are 5 star rated on TripAdvisor) do offer a Highlights of Guernsey tour which takes in The Little Chapel, the Underground Hospital and The German Occupation Museum.  These are private tours.  see www.toursofguernsey.com/tours

I hope the above helps.  Whatever you choose to do ashore, enjoy your day.

Very helpful! Thanks very much!

For a good look around the German Occupation Museum, about how much time would you suggest we should we allow?

My FIL was with the Canadian army in Caen after the liberation, so my husband is interested in WWII stories.

I thought the Underground Hospital might be more interesting, in a way. However, sounds like there's a lot of walking (we're not lazy, just slow!).

Edited by Adventures ahead

20 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

Very helpful! Thanks very much!

For a good look around the German Occupation Museum, about how much time would you suggest we should we allow?

I would allow at least 1 hour 15 minutes to walk around the Museum,  although as I see your subsequent post that you are particularly interested in WWll stories, perhaps you should allow 1 hour 30 minutes.

19 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

My FIL was with the Canadian army in Caen after the liberation, so my husband is interested in WWII stories.

I thought the Underground Hospital might be more interesting, in a way. However, sounds like there's a lot of walking (we're not lazy, just slow!).

The Underground Hospital is very interesting, it is difficult to choose, and to be honest, I would try and see if you could visit both.  

• 2 weeks later...

Guernseycruiser, we will be cruising to your lovely island in August and having been there before I have targeted the following plan:

Take bus 91 to the German Occupation Museum then walk to Little Chapel and Underground Hospital, take bus 71 back to town.  Is it feasible to walk from the museum to the other two sights?  I have a map from prior visit and it doesn't look tooooooo far.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:54 AM, knot knormal said:

Guernseycruiser, we will be cruising to your lovely island in August and having been there before I have targeted the following plan:

Take bus 91 to the German Occupation Museum then walk to Little Chapel and Underground Hospital, take bus 71 back to town.  Is it feasible to walk from the museum to the other two sights?  I have a map from prior visit and it doesn't look tooooooo far.

You can either take the 91, 93, 94 or 95 to the German Occupation Museum.  They all take the same route to at least the airport, and the stop for the museum is the one before the airport.  Yes, you are correct, the 71 is the bus back to town from the Little Chapel or The German Underground Hospital.

Personally I would say it is a long walk from the Museum to the other two sites.  The other thing to take account of is that the best time to visit The Little Chapel is early in the morning before the cruise ship coaches arrive.  Therefore, if it were me, I would:-

1) Take the 71 bus to The Little Chapel (allow 30 minutes at the site)

2) Then walk to The German Underground Hospital (google says the walk takes 15 minutes) (allow 40/45 minutes at the site)

3) Take the 71 bus then to the airport and walk to the German Occupation Museum (still only 5-7 minutes) (allow at least 1 hour at the site, preferably a bit longer)

4) Take the 92, 93, 94 or 95 back to St Peter Port from the Museum

You would need to look at the bus times to see if it works, I have put in brackets how long I think you could spend at each location.  Please remember you need to arrive at the German Occupation Museum no later than midday, as the museum closes around 1/1:15pm each day.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

You can either take the 91, 93, 94 or 95 to the German Occupation Museum.  They all take the same route to at least the airport, and the stop for the museum is the one before the airport.  Yes, you are correct, the 71 is the bus back to town from the Little Chapel or The German Underground Hospital.

Personally I would say it is a long walk from the Museum to the other two sites.  The other thing to take account of is that the best time to visit The Little Chapel is early in the morning before the cruise ship coaches arrive.  Therefore, if it were me, I would:-

1) Take the 71 bus to The Little Chapel (allow 30 minutes at the site)

2) Then walk to The German Underground Hospital (google says the walk takes 15 minutes) (allow 40/45 minutes at the site)

3) Take the 71 bus then to the airport and walk to the German Occupation Museum (still only 5-7 minutes) (allow at least 1 hour at the site, preferably a bit longer)

4) Take the 92, 93, 94 or 95 back to St Peter Port from the Museum

You would need to look at the bus times to see if it works, I have put in brackets how long I think you could spend at each location.  Please remember you need to arrive at the German Occupation Museum no later than midday, as the museum closes around 1/1:15pm each day.

I hope this helps.

The reason I had it on the reverse was the early closing of the Occupation Museum.  I’ll try to get DH up and out early and follow your plan.  Thank you so much for the time and thought you put in to your reply!

16 hours ago, knot knormal said:

The reason I had it on the reverse was the early closing of the Occupation Museum.  I’ll try to get DH up and out early and follow your plan.  Thank you so much for the time and thought you put in to your reply!

No problem, happy to help.

Just noticed that the number 71 bus is not currently going past the Underground Hospital or the Little Chapel due to roadworks.  I think this is due to be in place until mid August.  Please check www.buses.gg for up to date information.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Guernseycruiser said:

No problem, happy to help.

Just noticed that the number 71 bus is not currently going past the Underground Hospital or the Little Chapel due to roadworks.  I think this is due to be in place until mid August.  Please check www.buses.gg for up to date information.

Looking at the route map, the only bus I see going to Little Chapel is 71.  I guess we'll try to walk or save the 2 til next time.  Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, Guernseycruiser said:

Hi Everyone

As a local Guernsey person, I can't wait to see the cruise ships back in our waters in less than 2 months time.  I have tried to find an old Guernsey thread with information, however have gone back over 20 pages (and 2 years) to no avail, so I thought I would start a new thread.  To be honest, much of the information on the old thread would now be out of date anyway, so why not start out new!

A few quick points of information:

Guernsey is a tender port, with a picturesque tender ride into our beautiful town

The main street is less than 100 meters from the tender pier

Whilst there is a "round the island bus" (it is currently GBP5 per person however is due to increase shortly), this will not take you to the main attractions, therefore I do not recommend this.  It is the same price to "hop on" and "hop off" buses all day.

Whilst St Peter Port is a beautiful town, why not also venture further afield to see what Guernsey as an island has to offer

I DO NOT recommend hiring a car, unless you are used to driving on the left hand side of the road, and you are used to driving in small lanes that sometimes are only one car width wide

There are many interesting place to visit, and it depends upon your interests: The Little Chapel, The German Occupation Museum, The German Underground Hospital, Castle Cornet, Victor Hugo's House to name just a few

Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during WW2, and there are many extremely interesting museums and fortifications that you can visit.  Some have had enhancements in the last two years, and there are some additional fortifications that are now accessible which were previously not open to the public

Victor Hugo lived in exile here for 15 years, and the only property he ever owned during his lifetime is located in Guernsey, which is open to the public for tours

For those of you who have read or seen the film "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", you will know that the author took inspiration whilst she was visiting Guernsey, and some guides offer tours based on the book/film

For those of you who have visited before, you may wish to consider a day trip to either Sark or Herm.  These are small islands located close by.

Guernsey has its own currency (Guernsey Pound) which ranks 1:1 with the British Pound.  You can only spend Guernsey notes in Guernsey, and whilst you may wish to take home some as a memento, if you are spending cash, please ask for your change "in English".  Cards are widely accepted, however please note it is "cash only" to enter the German Occupation Museum.  If you end up with Guernsey currency at the end of your cruise, you can exchange this at any UK bank, which should still be on a 1:1 basis.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I will do my best to answer.

GuernseyCruiser

On 2/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, Guernseycruiser said:

Hi Everyone

As a local Guernsey person, I can't wait to see the cruise ships back in our waters in less than 2 months time.  I have tried to find an old Guernsey thread with information, however have gone back over 20 pages (and 2 years) to no avail, so I thought I would start a new thread.  To be honest, much of the information on the old thread would now be out of date anyway, so why not start out new!

A few quick points of information:

Guernsey is a tender port, with a picturesque tender ride into our beautiful town

The main street is less than 100 meters from the tender pier

Whilst there is a "round the island bus" (it is currently GBP5 per person however is due to increase shortly), this will not take you to the main attractions, therefore I do not recommend this.  It is the same price to "hop on" and "hop off" buses all day.

Whilst St Peter Port is a beautiful town, why not also venture further afield to see what Guernsey as an island has to offer

I DO NOT recommend hiring a car, unless you are used to driving on the left hand side of the road, and you are used to driving in small lanes that sometimes are only one car width wide

There are many interesting place to visit, and it depends upon your interests: The Little Chapel, The German Occupation Museum, The German Underground Hospital, Castle Cornet, Victor Hugo's House to name just a few

Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during WW2, and there are many extremely interesting museums and fortifications that you can visit.  Some have had enhancements in the last two years, and there are some additional fortifications that are now accessible which were previously not open to the public

Victor Hugo lived in exile here for 15 years, and the only property he ever owned during his lifetime is located in Guernsey, which is open to the public for tours

For those of you who have read or seen the film "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", you will know that the author took inspiration whilst she was visiting Guernsey, and some guides offer tours based on the book/film

For those of you who have visited before, you may wish to consider a day trip to either Sark or Herm.  These are small islands located close by.

Guernsey has its own currency (Guernsey Pound) which ranks 1:1 with the British Pound.  You can only spend Guernsey notes in Guernsey, and whilst you may wish to take home some as a memento, if you are spending cash, please ask for your change "in English".  Cards are widely accepted, however please note it is "cash only" to enter the German Occupation Museum.  If you end up with Guernsey currency at the end of your cruise, you can exchange this at any UK bank, which should still be on a 1:1 basis.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I will do my best to answer.

GuernseyCruiser

Thanks for the info.  We really enjoyed Sark the last time we were there.  We are bringing our kids and grandkids this time and would love to take them there.  Is there an affordable option of getting over to Sark once we tender into the dock?  

32 minutes ago, Berta said:

Thanks for the info.  We really enjoyed Sark the last time we were there.  We are bringing our kids and grandkids this time and would love to take them there.  Is there an affordable option of getting over to Sark once we tender into the dock?  

Maybe. Is there not a tour available from the ship?

Isle of Sark Shipping Company www.sarkshipping.gg runs regularly scheduled trips between Guernsey and Sark.  Around £30pp, I believe for a day trip.  The good news is that they have a new vessel Corsaire de Sercq that makes the trip in about 35 minutes, compared to nearly an hour previously.  Naturally, that timetable needs to work with your arrival and departure times to be of any use.

There are private charter services such as guernseyboatcharter.com   Those are full boat charters, so expect close to £600 for up to 12 people.   I'll check with a friend who is close with the Guernsey Harbour for other options, and perhaps Guernseycruiser will add some options. 

We are doing a walking tour in the morning and then will have a few hours. We were going to go to Castle Coronet but now I’m thinking maybe Victor Hugo House or German Occupation Museum. If you had to choose between those three, which would you choose and which would be easiest to get there? We’re coming next week. 

17 hours ago, D C said:

Maybe. Is there not a tour available from the ship?

Isle of Sark Shipping Company www.sarkshipping.gg runs regularly scheduled trips between Guernsey and Sark.  Around £30pp, I believe for a day trip.  The good news is that they have a new vessel Corsaire de Sercq that makes the trip in about 35 minutes, compared to nearly an hour previously.  Naturally, that timetable needs to work with your arrival and departure times to be of any use.

There are private charter services such as guernseyboatcharter.com   Those are full boat charters, so expect close to £600 for up to 12 people.   I'll check with a friend who is close with the Guernsey Harbour for other options, and perhaps Guernseycruiser will add some options. 

Not really much more I can add to the detail provided by D C.  I am not sure if the ships excursions use the same Sark ferry or whether they go directly from the ship, therefore if there was an issue with the Sark ferry, it may be a concern.  Yes, they have a new ferry, unfortunately it does not go that much quicker than the old vessel, a friend travelled on it earlier this week and said 45 minutes for the transfer.

6 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

We are doing a walking tour in the morning and then will have a few hours. We were going to go to Castle Coronet but now I’m thinking maybe Victor Hugo House or German Occupation Museum. If you had to choose between those three, which would you choose and which would be easiest to get there? We’re coming next week. 

It is more an issue of timing rather than choice:-

1) Victor Hugo's House - you will need to book a tour in advance via their website (you cannot walk around the house on your own), they are not open on a Wednesday, and on cruise ship days they are busy, so I would look now for availability.  The house is a 15/20 minute walk from the pier, mostly uphill, not suitable for those with mobility issues.

2) The Castle is a 15 minute walk on the flat from the pier, however I recommend that you arrive no later than 11:45am so that you can watch the firing of the noonday cannon.  There is also a short 20 minute play by local amateur dramatics which maybe of interest.

3) German Occupation Museum - would be my recommendation if you are interested in WW2 or the Occupation, I consider this the best Museum on the island.  Unfortunately their opening times are 10am to 1pm, with last entry at midday.  You will also need to take a bus to reach this museum, approx 25 minutes from St Peter Port, any of the buses that are going to the airport are fine, 91, 93, 94 or 95.  The bus station is a 2 minute walk from the pier, the Museum is a 5 minute walk from the nearest bus stop.

Could you change your walking tour to the afternoon, which would provide more options?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guernseycruiser said:

Not really much more I can add to the detail provided by D C.  I am not sure if the ships excursions use the same Sark ferry or whether they go directly from the ship, therefore if there was an issue with the Sark ferry, it may be a concern.  Yes, they have a new ferry, unfortunately it does not go that much quicker than the old vessel, a friend travelled on it earlier this week and said 45 minutes for the transfer.

I recall hearing, but have never confirmed that they essentially charter one of the IOSS vessels for the day for the cruise excursions that pick up directly from the ship as a tender would.   Certainly a faster and more reliable means of getting there & back.    

I was hopeful the Corsaire was faster.  Not that it isn't a nice ride even on the old Bon Marin.  Just would serve to maximise time on Sark. Hopefully will find out in person next summer! 🙂

They do have an excursion from the ship but it includes the horse drawn carriage ride and is a bit pricey, especially for 12 people.  Would love to just catch the ferry on our own and explore Sark.

54 minutes ago, Berta said:

They do have an excursion from the ship but it includes the horse drawn carriage ride and is a bit pricey, especially for 12 people.  Would love to just catch the ferry on our own and explore Sark.

Ahhh.. no option for a self-tour with bicycle rental?  That would be a nice alternative.  Not that the carriage rides aren't nice, and have done them twice myself (both times with others who were new to the island).

When are you in Guernsey?

Edited by D C

3 hours ago, Berta said:

I would check out the timetable for the Sark ferry to see if it works for you.  The bicycle rental is a great idea by D C as you will see much more of the island.  They do have E-Bikes for rent as well it you prefer, these are probably limited in availability (my friends rented the last 3 that were available on the day earlier this week, it was not a cruise ship day, and even then ended up renting from 2 different providers).

https://www.sarkshipping.gg/timetables

The timetable sometimes varies, so you are best to check the date you will be arriving by starting a "dummy booking" which will provide the exact departure times.

4 hours ago, Berta said:

And do beware if you go to Sark on your own.  If you catch traffic at the wrong time, it's sheep gridlock. This chaotic seen just outside our B&B as we tried to make it to dinner one evening.

image.png.3433b42111fb12f07213e42d654c2aff.png

image.thumb.png.526605c3b5d945c8a9a383112c27557f.png

Edited by D C

Hi @Guernseycruiser, 

I'm planning to walk from the port up to the Candie Gardens.  I've read one can borrow a key for Victoria Tower from the Guernsey Museum.  Do you know anything about the key?  Is there more than one key?  I can't find much information online.  Thank you!

Edited by SomewhereGirl

2 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Hi @Guernseycruiser, 

I'm planning to walk from the port up to the Candie Gardens.  I've read one can borrow a key for Victoria Tower from the Guernsey Museum.  Do you know anything about the key?  Is there more than one key?  I can't find much information online.  Thank you!

You have it exactly right! 

The museum is just up from the gardens. The key is at the main desk in the museum, and is given to one party at a time. The tower is just a short walk from the museum. Here's DD unlocking the tower back in 2016.

Screenshot_20220813-173202_DS file.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, Guernseycruiser said:

Just to give you the heads up, the walking tours do not usually go past Victor Hugo's House, as it is a little out of the main area, and up a steep hill.  I would highly recommend that you take a tour of the house itself, it is absolutely amazing inside.  

I too will be cruising August of 2023...How would I get to the Victor Hugo house from the cruise pier? Are there independent tours or would I book a one hour tour and have to get there on my own?  If so, are there taxis instead of buses?  Thank you for your info.