Southampton Port Walkability

Seafan22

I walked to the Southhampton Mayflower Cruise Terminal from the Holiday inn. We had to walk on some back areas with no side walks and it was about 1 mile.  Berth 102 is closer so I assume it would be easier to walk to.  

Holiday Inn is right by the port gate 8 for NCL' s usual berth 101 at City Cruise Terminal, and a flat five-minute walk from the terminal entrance. For most people it's easy even with rolling luggage., though if you're unlucky with heavy rain a metered taxi will cost the city minimum of about £3.

That's why it's so popular with cruisers sailing out of City terminal.

If NCL Star berths at 102, that's the new Horizon Cruise Terminal - one ship's-length further.

Holiday Inn rooms at the rear overlook the terminal - and your ship when you wake up.

Rooms at the front look down Southampton Water. You can watch your ship sailing in *

When you arrive at the hotel, you may see that the port gate is closed, locked, and un-manned.😧

Don't panic - it's only open when a ship is turning round.

No restriction on walking into the port (applies to all port gates).

At the gate folk can be quizzed about their business by security staff - but laden with luggage your business is pretty obvious 😉.

Holiday Inn  is also pretty convenient for the big West Quay Mall and adjacent entertainment & dining complex, and for waterfront pubs & restaurants and the city's limited old-town sights.

nb - this is Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue. The city as two Holiday Inn Expresses - they're both on the city outskirts.

JB 🙂

(* As long as you're awake at about 4.30 am 😄)

Edited by John Bull

• 1 year later...

Hello

Are you able to walk from Berth 102 at the Horizon Cruise Terminal to Berth 101 at the City Cruise Terminal lugging your luggage with you? or would you need to hop into a taxi? We are disembarking NCL Prima May 12th 2024 and embarking RCL Anthem of the Seas same day. 

On 2/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, Seafan22 said:

If I am staying at the Holiday Inn Southampton, will I be: 1) permitting to walk to the NCL terminal for the NCL Star (which I believe is typically Berth 102), and 2) will it be a reasonable walk?

Thank you.

Follow this thread as I will also stay two nights in Southampton (in a different Hotel) and will board the Norvegian Star...which date is your departure? @Seafan22

1 hour ago, Seafan22 said:

It was walkable for us because the weather was nice. 

Yep, I get it...a taxi will be in our future if its pouring rain upon arrival, as the UK is so well known for its dry, arid weather 😉

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

Hello 

there is other hotels can someone recommend near the port?

Holiday in is fully booked TIA 

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Some are better - and more expensive - than others, but there are none listed that I'd caution against.

Most popular near H.I. / cruise terminals / train & coach stations / city centre & old-town restaurants, pubs, shops, sights, etc are Premier Inn West Quay, Moxy, and Leonardo Royal Grand Harbour (see the thumbnail map at the bottom of that web-page). None of the other hotels on that page are more than a £10 taxi-ride from any cruise terminal.

Fingers-crossed this isn't for around 10th - 24th September, when hotels get booked-out for Southampton International Boat Show.

Don't be enticed by either of the Holiday Inn Expresses, which are both out on the city limits. 

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Some are better - and more expensive - than others, but there are none listed that I'd caution against.

Most popular near H.I. / cruise terminals / train & coach stations / city centre & old-town restaurants, pubs, shops, sights, etc are Premier Inn West Quay, Moxy, and Leonardo Royal Grand Harbour (see the thumbnail map at the bottom of that web-page). None of the other hotels on that page are more than a £10 taxi-ride from any cruise terminal.

Fingers-crossed this isn't for around 10th - 24th September, when hotels get booked-out for Southampton International Boat Show.

Don't be enticed by either of the Holiday Inn Expresses, which are both out on the city limits. 

JB 🙂

Thank you very valuable information