Guidance for our day in Honolulu

amyj23

Hello! We will be in Honolulu off the Carnival Miracle from 11am-11pm on Friday, Oct 21st. I have been researching for several days now, and am less overwhelmed now, and feel like I'm getting my bearings. I'm reading a lot of great advice from some of you and have learned a lot, but still want some more guidance/advice. Our group's one ABSOLUTE must-do is Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona and Punchbowl Cemetery (my great uncle is buried there so this is non-negotiable for me). I'm having a hard time understanding how long it will take to do the Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona portion. It says you have to be there an hour before your timed entry to the Arizona. It sounds like the whole thing will take several hours. After then doing Punchbowl, I feel like it will practically be evening. I wanted to do Diamond Head but I see that they close around 6pm, so I think we'll have to drop that. So I thought maybe we could go to Waikiki, see the beach, go to dinner and drinks and just explore that area until we decide to get back to the ship. Is my concept of time accurate here? Am I overestimating how long it will take to do Pearl Harbor?

I have other things on my wish list: I wanted to see the Iolani Palace (just the outside, no tour necessary) and King Kamehameha statue. I'd love to see the capital and maybe go inside. A scenic overlook would be nice. But I understand our daytime hours there are limited.

The second part of my question is about transportation. At first I wanted to hire a tour operator to shuttle us around. It would cost $800 for our group. But I just priced rental vehicles and can't believe how cheap it is for the day. But then I'm overwhelmed by how long it will take to get to the car rental agency, do the paperwork, actually get the car and then get to Pearl Harbor. I want to be as efficient as possible without spending tons of money on an Uber... I saw that parking is free at Pearl Harbor and the Punchbowl. But Waikiki parking sounded difficult and expensive. 

I'm asking so many questions, I realize! I'd love some insight from some of you Hawaii experts. TIA

5 hours ago, amyj23 said:

Our group's one ABSOLUTE must-do is Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona and Punchbowl Cemetery (my great uncle is buried there so this is non-negotiable for me). I'm having a hard time understanding how long it will take to do the Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona portion. It says you have to be there an hour before your timed entry to the Arizona. It sounds like the whole thing will take several hours. After then doing Punchbowl, I feel like it will practically be evening.

I don't know about evening even with an 11am arrival-- if you use Uber or a taxi you can get to Pearl Harbor in 15 minutes to get to the Arizona Memorial and visitors center. That should take 2-3 hours depending on how fast you go through things. Punchbowl is over towards Waikiki so I would suggest another Uber to save time-- about 20 min away by car. 

I have other things on my wish list: I wanted to see the Iolani Palace (just the outside, no tour necessary) and King Kamehameha statue.

Your car will pass by both on the way from Pearl Harbor to either the Punchbowl Cemetery or Waikiki. 

I'd love to see the capital and maybe go inside.

Not worth it in the grand scheme of things. 

The second part of my question is about transportation. At first I wanted to hire a tour operator to shuttle us around. It would cost $800 for our group. But I just priced rental vehicles and can't believe how cheap it is for the day. But then I'm overwhelmed by how long it will take to get to the car rental agency, do the paperwork, actually get the car and then get to Pearl Harbor.

Just utilize one or two UberXLs depending on how big your group is. Super easy to get around and never a long wait. It will come in way less an $800 and be way less of a hassle and time suck than a rental car. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I don't know about evening even with an 11am arrival-- if you use Uber or a taxi you can get to Pearl Harbor in 15 minutes to get to the Arizona Memorial and visitors center. That should take 2-3 hours depending on how fast you go through things. Punchbowl is over towards Waikiki so I would suggest another Uber to save time-- about 20 min away by car. 

Your car will pass by both on the way from Pearl Harbor to either the Punchbowl Cemetery or Waikiki. 

Not worth it in the grand scheme of things. 

Just utilize one or two UberXLs depending on how big your group is. Super easy to get around and never a long wait. It will come in way less an $800 and be way less of a hassle and time suck than a rental car. 

This information is so helpful, thank you! I know the capital seems unimportant but I’ve been able to see a few state capitals in the last few years and I wanted to add another to my list. I’m a dork thar way. (But I’m not going to spend a long time trying to add it to our day.) Sounds like for our purposes Uber will be best! Just found out this morning that a couple from our group just went to Honolulu so they won’t be joining us for any excursion. So now most we’ll have is max of 8 people. And not sure even all of us will agree on our post-Pearl Harbor items. This is my first cruise to an American port with cell service. Having Uber (and internet!) at our disposal will be invaluable!

Don't confuse visiting the USS Arizona Memorial with "seeing Pearl Harbor". You could spend a whole day at Pearl Harbor if you wanted, visiting the various ships and museums, but just going to the USS Arizona Memorial takes maybe two hours total. It depends how early you arrive and how long you spend on the memorial.

So if you reserve tickets for a 12PM or 1PM you should be done an hour or so later. Here is the link for reservations. https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

You can only book 60 days out so sometime after August 21, 2022 go book your tickets.

Punchbowl depends on how long you spend there and if you want to see your uncle's  specific grave. It should be easy to find online the location.

If you then Uber to Downtown for Iolani Palace and the State Capitol Building, by then you are getting late in the day on a work day. Traffic can be horrendous.

Hiking Diamond Head is definitely out; there isn't enough time and it would be too hot anyway. Diamond Head is best done before 8AM.

So after Downtown, Waikiki is your best bet, but I'd make reservations for a place to eat. I am assuming you want something with a nice view, so a Friday night, reservations would be essential. Do you have a budget in mind for dinner?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Don't confuse visiting the USS Arizona Memorial with "seeing Pearl Harbor". You could spend a whole day at Pearl Harbor if you wanted, visiting the various ships and museums, but just going to the USS Arizona Memorial takes maybe two hours total. It depends how early you arrive and how long you spend on the memorial.

So if you reserve tickets for a 12PM or 1PM you should be done an hour or so later. Here is the link for reservations. https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

You can only book 60 days out so sometime after August 21, 2022 go book your tickets.

Punchbowl depends on how long you spend there and if you want to see your uncle's  specific grave. It should be easy to find online the location.

If you then Uber to Downtown for Iolani Palace and the State Capitol Building, by then you are getting late in the day on a work day. Traffic can be horrendous.

Hiking Diamond Head is definitely out; there isn't enough time and it would be too hot anyway. Diamond Head is best done before 8AM.

So after Downtown, Waikiki is your best bet, but I'd make reservations for a place to eat. I am assuming you want something with a nice view, so a Friday night, reservations would be essential. Do you have a budget in mind for dinner?

Thank you! That is good info as well. Especially about time frames for Pearl Harbor.
I already have the location of my uncle’s grave. I also saw that there are beautiful views from the cemetery area. So that will be good. 

I can cut the capital and the palace if it’s too late. I would like to see them but it’s not the end of the world if we can’t fit it in. I guess we’ll just have to come back one day to really explore!
As far as dinner, we don’t really have a price cap. But we will be dressed very casually. Someone from our group who just came back was raving about Waikiki Brewing. We seek out breweries wherever we go anyway, but she said they ate there twice because it was so good. Not sure if they have reservations but I will definitely keep that in mind. Sunset will be about 6pm that night so we definitely want to keep that in mind when planning our evening!

If you are dressed "very casually" I'd start looking for reservations at Duke's Waikiki, Hula Grill, House Without A Key, Monkeypod Kitchen at the Outrigger Reef (not open yet, but will be by the time Oct rolls around), maybe Tiki's Grill, Hau Tree Lanai or Banyan Court at Moana Surfrider. HWAK isn't taking reservations for dinner currently and I am sure neither is Monkeypod Kitchen, but keep checking.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you are dressed "very casually" I'd start looking for reservations at Duke's Waikiki, Hula Grill, House Without A Key, Monkeypod Kitchen at the Outrigger Reef (not open yet, but will be by the time Oct rolls around), maybe Tiki's Grill, Hau Tree Lanai or Banyan Court at Moana Surfrider. HWAK isn't taking reservations for dinner currently and I am sure neither is Monkeypod Kitchen, but keep checking.

After I read your last post I looked at Duke’s and saw we could make a reservation 90 days out. I will check out your other recommendations. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi Amy, we are on with you which is now Radiance. We are also looking for suggestions so very interested in the info here. Wish we got there earlier and had more daylight hours. Please check out our rollcall .

5 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

Hi Amy, we are on with you which is now Radiance. We are also looking for suggestions so very interested in the info here. Wish we got there earlier and had more daylight hours. Please check out our rollcall .

What you see/do depends on what interests you personally and is important to you. Also if this is your first time or not, do you have plans for a land based trip one day, etc.

We did sign up for one tour but after would like to spend a little time at a beach. Is there one within walking distance of the port? Not sure if the ship docks near Waikiki. I spent a few days pre NCL cruise years ago and saw the highlights.

5 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

We did sign up for one tour but after would like to spend a little time at a beach. Is there one within walking distance of the port? Not sure if the ship docks near Waikiki. I spent a few days pre NCL cruise years ago and saw the highlights.

It depends on which dock you are in and what consider walkable. Pier 2 is just about 1 mile from Ala Moana Beach Park, which is a very nice beach. The Aloha Tower is another 3/10 of a mile beyond Pier 2.

But The Bus stops very near both docks, Uber and cabs are cheap and plentiful at the dock. If you want to go into Waikiki to one of the beaches there, it depends on what you want to do at the beach. If you want catamaran rides, outrigger canoe rides, etc, that is Waikiki Beach. If you want quiet and fewer people, that is Fort DeRussy Beach; if you want no waves, that is Kuhio Beach, and so on.