Flightseeing in Ketchikan

winter560

16 hours ago, HalfWhit said:

We did it in 2009. Took a sea plane to the Misty Fjords and landed in what I thought was a lake, but it was still the ocean. It was amazing and worth every penny. Enjoy. 

We booked with Island Wings - an independent tour operator - basically same tour as @HalfWhit.  They were fantastic!

We also used Island Wings and have her booked again for our September cruise. She lands on an alpine lake and we get about 30 minutes to walk around on shore. Fantastic trip!

Some tour operators land in Misty Fjord and you only get to stand on the pontoon for a few minutes. Spending time at the alpine lake was outstanding.

www.islandwings.com

On 3/1/2022 at 6:05 PM, outdoorphoto said:

Some tour operators land in Misty Fjord and you only get to stand on the pontoon for a few minutes. Spending time at the alpine lake was outstanding.

That is a tour that I took as a shore excursion and it was one of the best that I have ever done.  Worth whatever it costs!  

Island Wings is who we booked with.  Very professional.  The day we were to go, Michelle had a late pick up at a bear viewing sight.  We were told that Randy of Mountain Air would be taking us.  He was a good friend of Island Wings.  These are both pilot owned.  He was an exceptional pilot and we landed at a lake also.  

I would love to recommend Randy as well, but sad to say he was involved in a mid-air crash that was not his fault in 2019.  I would not recommend booking thru the cruise line.  They were using the other company at the time.  Not saying this to scare anyone, wanting to remember Randy.  

• Like 1

Have flown with Island Wings 3 times and have another booking for this summer. Nice people and great excursion. 

And we also have flown with Randy and was very sad to hear about the accident. He was a great guide and pilot. 

Edited by 5waldos

The flightseeing "community" is Alaska is a very tight knit group, fully supportive of each other. Stick with one of the local aviation companies (not Taquan Air.)

We were booked with Seawind Aviation in 2019 for a tour which was cancelled due to weather. Fast forward to 2020 when we booked a Traitors Cove Bear tour with Seawind in August. Absolutely wonderful and highly recommend Steve & Lesley's company.

https://www.seawindaviation.com/

15 hours ago, DogLover said:

The flightseeing "community" is Alaska is a very tight knit group, fully supportive of each other. Stick with one of the local aviation companies (not Taquan Air.)

We were booked with Seawind Aviation in 2019 for a tour which was cancelled due to weather. Fast forward to 2020 when we booked a Traitors Cove Bear tour with Seawind in August. Absolutely wonderful and highly recommend Steve & Lesley's company.

https://www.seawindaviation.com/

I didn't see my typo until now and cannot edit ... not 2020, but 2021! D'oh!

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Is it very difficult getting in and out of the seaplane? I have a chronic high grade ligament tear in my ankle, but am otherwise in good shape. I workout every day, so it's not like I am disabled. Just some difficulty with my ankle. 

My experience, it really does depend on one's physical abilities.  Younger, no issues.  In my mid-70's with much less strength in my legs and arms.  I need something firm to hang onto in order to get up from a seated position.  The seaplane on which I flew had folding seat backs and the seats were low to the floor.  When I tried to arise by grabbing onto the back of the seat in front of me, the seat back collapsed.  I couldn't get up.  The pilot/guide had to help me get me to my feet when other guests had deplaned and helped me out of the plane.  I was so embarrassed.  But, I could not help it.  Loved the tour/experience; clearly, though, it's one that I won't do again.   

Another vote for Island Wings. Have flown with Michelle and her pilots several times and booked again this summer.

And as far as the difficulty of getting in and out- there are always big strong men to help. My friend was in a wheel chair and they literally carried her into the plane. The trip was well worth any embarrassment she experienced. They did put her into the most convenient seat to get in and out of. She highly recommends taking the trip. 

• Thanks 1