Credit Card Cash Back Category

offtopic

Hello all, I have two of the same credit card (I don’t think I’m allowed to say what card/bank) that at my current tier I get 4.5% cash back on 1 category each card up to $2500 in spend per card per quarter.

I booked an ocean balcony on an upcoming Symphony sailing, for which I already paid the $500 deposit through a big box wholesale club website and that already processed in the travel category for 4.5% cash back with the charge being directly from Royal. I plan on putting the rest of the cruise balance which is about $1500,  on that card to get 4.5% on that.

My question is, if I book the deluxe beverage package and the unlimited dining plan for about another $1500 on the other card, will it charge it as a generic Royal Caribbean travel purchase like the deposit/fare came through as or something else? On my second card I can keep it as travel or if the cruise planner codes as something else like online shopping, I will have to change the category from travel to online shopping to get my 4.5% cash back or I will only get the default 1.5% cash back for “everything else”.

Thanks for any insight/experience.

Edited by offtopic

Thanks, but I believe the name or title of the charge and the code it bills as can be 2 different things. It would make more sense to still bill as travel to me than as online shopping or services since it’s all for travel on the ship.

5 minutes ago, offtopic said:

Thanks, but I believe the name or title of the charge and the code it bills as can be 2 different things. It would make more sense to still bill as travel to me than as online shopping or services since it’s all for travel on the ship.

Both of my AMEX always just says Royal Caribbean...regardless of what I'm purchasing...your cards may be different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offtopic said:

Hello all, I have two of the same credit card (I don’t think I’m allowed to say what card/bank) that at my current tier I get 4.5% cash back on 1 category each card up to $2500 in spend per card per quarter.

Yes, you can say it's BofA Customized Cash Rewards with 50% Preferred Rewards bonus.  😉 

• Haha 1