From Freedom to Spirit-Your thoughts???

junglecat

The Carnival Spirit is actually a surprisingly good cruise ship.  I sailed on her quite a few times back in the days when she was homeported in Los Angeles.

First off, I think she's got one of the best Serenity Retreats in the entire fleet.  On so many Carnival ships, the Serenity Retreat is up at the front of the ship, on the top deck, completely exposed to wind.  On Carnival Spirit, she is at the back of the ship, and because of the design of things back there, things are much less windy back there.  Also, the Serenity Retreat has a swimming pool...  which most don't.

Carnival Spirit also has several other swimming pools, one of which has a glass dome that can open or close depending on the weather.  So, if you have a rainy day, they close the glass dome, and the pool area is still a delightful place to relax.

I don't know if it's still this way, but back in the days when I sailed on Carnival Spirit, there was this delightful little lounge one level below the main theater.  These days, it's the Punchliner comedy club, and maybe they remodeled it when it became the Punchliner...  but back when I was aboard it had the most unique and whimsical interior design.  There were dioramas built in to the walls on the left and right side of the lounge.  It's hard to describe, but a picture is worth a thousand words...

CarnivalSpirit2010-VersaillesLounge.jpg

I don't know if it's still that way or if the lounge has been remodeled now that it's the Punchliner...  but I always got a kick out of those unique walls when I was aboard.  Also, the acoustics in that room are amazing...  it was always a great place for a band to play.  I don't know if they ever do that now.  It might be for comedy only these days.

Also, the Carnival Spirit happens to have the best waterslide in the entire Carnival fleet...  the Green Thunder Waterslide.

The downside of sailing on an older ship like Carnival Spirit is that the cabins will lack the amenities you find on some of the newer ships...  like electrical outlets by the bed, or USB charging.  But I think you'll find a lot to like about Carnival Spirit.

If you are curious about even more specific information on Carnival Spirit, have a look at a web page I made about the several cruises I did on her.  Just keep in mind that those cruises were quite some time ago, so a few things may have changed...  but I bet a lot is still the same.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Hmm, any idea which rooms have the gap?  I'd take a 4k if it had a real view, and not just a lifeboat.

Take a look at the deck plans for the Spirit.  On deck 4 you’ll easily see the cabins that are between lifeboats.  They offer a peek-a-boo view at least.

3 hours ago, Spaniel Lover said:

The Carnival Spirit is actually a surprisingly good cruise ship.  I sailed on her quite a few times back in the days when she was homeported in Los Angeles.

First off, I think she's got one of the best Serenity Retreats in the entire fleet.  On so many Carnival ships, the Serenity Retreat is up at the front of the ship, on the top deck, completely exposed to wind.  On Carnival Spirit, she is at the back of the ship, and because of the design of things back there, things are much less windy back there.  Also, the Serenity Retreat has a swimming pool...  which most don't.

Carnival Spirit also has several other swimming pools, one of which has a glass dome that can open or close depending on the weather.  So, if you have a rainy day, they close the glass dome, and the pool area is still a delightful place to relax.

I don't know if it's still this way, but back in the days when I sailed on Carnival Spirit, there was this delightful little lounge one level below the main theater.  These days, it's the Punchliner comedy club, and maybe they remodeled it when it became the Punchliner...  but back when I was aboard it had the most unique and whimsical interior design.  There were dioramas built in to the walls on the left and right side of the lounge.  It's hard to describe, but a picture is worth a thousand words...

CarnivalSpirit2010-VersaillesLounge.jpg

I don't know if it's still that way or if the lounge has been remodeled now that it's the Punchliner...  but I always got a kick out of those unique walls when I was aboard.  Also, the acoustics in that room are amazing...  it was always a great place for a band to play.  I don't know if they ever do that now.  It might be for comedy only these days.

Also, the Carnival Spirit happens to have the best waterslide in the entire Carnival fleet...  the Green Thunder Waterslide.

The downside of sailing on an older ship like Carnival Spirit is that the cabins will lack the amenities you find on some of the newer ships...  like electrical outlets by the bed, or USB charging.  But I think you'll find a lot to like about Carnival Spirit.

If you are curious about even more specific information on Carnival Spirit, have a look at a web page I made about the several cruises I did on her.  Just keep in mind that those cruises were quite some time ago, so a few things may have changed...  but I bet a lot is still the same.

I'm actually quite happy with the ship change. I've sailed the Miracle once, and it was one of my favorite ships. Especially for Alaska, I think the large, open interior spaces will be a huge plus for cold or rainy weather. I appreciate all the insights.

Just checked our Carnival reservation and our assigned inside cabin on the Freedom has become a TBA on the Spirit.  Fortunately our early dining hasn't changed but our bed arrangement has now gone from a king to two twins.  I don't understand how that happened.  I guess I'll keep checking back and if I don't have a definite cabin assignment in a few days I'll call.  

I booked the Freedom a year ago for a cruise to Alaska, May 2023 for 50th wedding anniversary.  Four cabins together on lido deck since we are going with our grown children.  I am also waiting to see how the cabin situation pans out.  I understand changes; however, I called when the most recent dancing of the the ships started to inquire about changing and/or cancelling and was assured that Freedom was NOT leaving Alaska.  So much for assurances.

22 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

My suspicion is that they'll try to put us in 4K rooms, which offer big windows, but a glorious view of a lifeboat.  

Not sure about you, but we've got a lot of time before our cruise, so if that is what happens, I'll just have to keep my eye out on upgrade offers/rates.

We love 4K's, not for Alaska though. . We're hoping they'll put us in an obstructed ocean view. We've got time to figure something out, we don't sail until next August. 

Waiting to see how this all pans out. We were booked on our first Lido stateroom on the Freedom but now cant do that on the Spirit. This happened to us on the cruise we had booked when Covid hit. We booked our first lido and then they switched ships and we were booked elsewhere. Then covid hit and it was cancelled anyway, twice!

11 hours ago, jus4fun said:

I booked the Freedom a year ago for a cruise to Alaska, May 2023 for 50th wedding anniversary.  Four cabins together on lido deck since we are going with our grown children.  I am also waiting to see how the cabin situation pans out.  I understand changes; however, I called when the most recent dancing of the the ships started to inquire about changing and/or cancelling and was assured that Freedom was NOT leaving Alaska.  So much for assurances.

2 hours ago, MalleyCat said:

We love 4K's, not for Alaska though. . We're hoping they'll put us in an obstructed ocean view. We've got time to figure something out, we don't sail until next August. 

2 hours ago, dltvermont said:

Waiting to see how this all pans out. We were booked on our first Lido stateroom on the Freedom but now cant do that on the Spirit. This happened to us on the cruise we had booked when Covid hit. We booked our first lido and then they switched ships and we were booked elsewhere. Then covid hit and it was cancelled anyway, twice!

Try signing into your Carnival account and see if the new assignment is listed there.  We were not notified we had to check for ourselves.  Our selected inside cabin is now a TBA.  Talked to a Carnival rep and she could not tell me when we will actually know our new location.  Looks like we are now a "guarantee" even though our Freedom cabin was midship near an elevator.

6 minutes ago, farjar said:

Try signing into your Carnival account and see if the new assignment is listed there.  We were not notified we had to check for ourselves.  Our selected inside cabin is now a TBA.  Talked to a Carnival rep and she could not tell me when we will actually know our new location.  Looks like we are now a "guarantee" even though our Freedom cabin was midship near an elevator.

Right now ou s isn't updated.  However, our email said they'd have things set by Mar 12, so the TBA may be just the placeholder they are using as they migrate things over.  I wouldn't expect they won't be able to say much till after that date

• Like 1

I am super nervous as my June 2023 booking is gone. I had an aft wrap and the long side balcony next to it. We booked about 2 years out to get this. And I know Spirit's wraps are suites.

We had the exact rooms booked for June 2020 and Covid cancelled them.  

On 3/2/2022 at 12:24 PM, farjar said:

They must be working on it now because it shows how many days til I sail but no bookings. When I try to put in my booking number it cant be found.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:01 PM, xkritter said:

I am super nervous as my June 2023 booking is gone. I had an aft wrap and the long side balcony next to it. We booked about 2 years out to get this. And I know Spirit's wraps are suites.

We had the exact rooms booked for June 2020 and Covid cancelled them.  

I'm feeling the same way!  We had an aft balcony, the aft wrap next to it, and another balcony room one room away.  This is a re-booking on a covid cancelled cruise for my son's graduation.  We cruise on January 14, 2023.  I'm still nervously waiting to get our room assignments.  I did note that there are 6 fewer aft balcony rooms on the Spirit compared to the Freedom.  I really don't want to lose our room configuration...

My bookings have been updated.  The result isn't good.  We went from an aft balcony, the aft wrap next to it, and another balcony room one room away to 3 different rooms on 3 different decks.  The balcony is still a balcony, but the aft is gone - supposedly upgraded to a Premium Balcony room.  I don't know if I consider that an upgrade.  Yes, it's a bigger balcony, but it's not an Aft Balcony.  Our Aft Wrap was upgraded to an Ocean Suite, but at the expense of all of our rooms being split up so badly.  I'm so disappointed.  I've called in to the Resolution Team, and they can do nothing.

Hi 

I can't complain. I was moved from an "obstructed interior" (which wasn't an option on the Spirit) to an OV. Not the greatest location, but I believe I can get moved to something preferable. 

Considering that originally I thought I might be moved to an "obstructed OV" (which I wouldn't have liked), what I got is an upgrade, more than fair for me.