New to Sunshine, have questions

Bollycats

I've been reading about the parking situation in Charleston. It seems like everyone is in one line to enter.  If we get there earlier than our check in time do we just wait in the terminal until our time? (like other ports) From videos I've seen it looks like you enter the building, check in, then take a shuttle to the ship. I'm thinking it has to be according to your check in time when you can actually take the shuttle.

I will have the Cheers package for the first time so I never paid attention before. How do the self-serve beer and wine stations work? Do I scan my card and it sees I have the drink package and doesn't charge me? Then you fill the glass? Is there a soda station too?

Does the dining room offer specialty coffees with my Cheers package or do I have to get them at the coffee bar?

16 hours ago, Bollycats said:

I've been reading about the parking situation in Charleston. It seems like everyone is in one line to enter.  If we get there earlier than our check in time do we just wait in the terminal until our time? (like other ports) From videos I've seen it looks like you enter the building, check in, then take a shuttle to the ship. I'm thinking it has to be according to your check in time when you can actually take the shuttle.

I will have the Cheers package for the first time so I never paid attention before. How do the self-serve beer and wine stations work? Do I scan my card and it sees I have the drink package and doesn't charge me? Then you fill the glass? Is there a soda station too?

Does the dining room offer specialty coffees with my Cheers package or do I have to get them at the coffee bar?

I went in January. The way it worked for us was that once you go to the first check-in terminal they check all of your documents and COVID (test and vaccination) proofs. Then you grab a seat and wait. They did not look at boarding times for us at all until they started calling groups for the shuttle. When they called groups by boarding number, they did check your boarding pass to make sure of your time as you walked out of the terminal to board the shuttle. 

I can't answer the cheers question. I only got coffee at Java Blue. I did not see any soda stations. 

3 hours ago, mondello said:

@ninjacat123 Can you answer since you have the homeport advantage?

This thread has some great input from other cruisers with regard to Sunshine parking, etc.

Wanna_Cruise is correct about specialty coffees.  Java Blue had some tasty coffee drinks.  Remember that fresh juices are NOT included in Cheers.  If in question, ask first if included in Cheers if in doubt.  I'm cruising on Sunshine March 28 (in 26 days!!) with my mom this time and will be negotiating the parking situation as well as needing a wheelchair for my mom. Tytanbri detailed the parking protocol just how I experienced it. Please let me know if there are other questions about Sunshine and I'll try to answer or I bet another CC member will know👍😎

Edited by ninjacat123

Thanks, everyone, that's just what I needed. I figured it wasn't a "free for all" at the terminal. But videos I watched made it look that way. We can sit and wait if we get there early. I really want to get through the long line of cars as early as possible. 

I'm glad about specialty coffees in the dining room. I don't want to stand in a long line at the coffee bar if I don't have to. 

Good to know about the self serve machines-don't want to be charged when I shouldn't be. 

Regarding the self serve beer stations.   This is from carnival

"All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer (including self-serve beer stations - PYOB) and wine and champagne by the glass, with a $20.00 USD or lower menu price, per serving

42 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

Good catch! I see that now under FAQ's. Thanks!

Make sure you ask for top shelf liquor in your drinks.  Try a drink you've never had before.  I tried a Negroni and it wasn't my cup of tea (so to speak) so I waited 5 minutes and ordered a different drink.  I then found I like bourbon drinks because I could try something out of my usual and not think about the cost.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

There is no sitting and waiting in the terminal in Charleston. There isn't room for that. I don't know how strict they are about arrival times honestly. I've always chosen an arrival time that worked for my schedule and arrived within that timeframe.