cheap or sell-off cruises

6starrs

There used to be several web based cruise brokers where you could find good last minute deals (3 weeks or less from date of cruise) or could reserve a cruise a year or so ahead of time and get some really good pricing. But with RCL and Celebrity requiring prices at cruise outlets not be lower than the prices at RCL and Celebrity web site and other cruise lines finding it easier to fill ships, these type of bargins seem to be harder and harder to find. I use *****, blueseas and ***** to research prices but none of them seem to have had many really great deals lately.

Good luck.

Just like getting a good stock tip - you have to have relationship. Take your TA to dinner or to play golf.

I use to buy drinks for my broker and he'd remember me when some "odd-lots" came across his desk.

I have a friend that is a TA. I get her passes for shows and she calls me when a cancelled trip comes across her desk or a private group that has guaranteed so many units has excess space to fill.

The short and sweet - develop a good relationship.

I have a really good Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) who I have booked my last several cruises with. She emails me from time to time with specials, and if I call her about them, she manages to find some little extra 'perks' for me....sometimes reduced fare, and sometimes shipboard credit.

It helps to establish a relationship with your booking agent - whether it be a PVP or a local TA. I've never heard of any online agencies who give a flip about saving you any money.:rolleyes:

Also - if you book cruises in the off-season, they're always less expensive. One reason I normally cruise in September is that it's off-season. Any cruises in the summer months or for any spring break or holiday time - always cost more.

I believe alot of time is is just that TIMING, I have booked early and watched after final payment the price drop. I have booked when there is a flash special, called TA he said that the special was not on screen and then he called me back after he reserached it and I got a 14 day cruise for 950 for inside. BUT I did the web searching...

We just booked a 4 day mini cruise and we watched and tried to time the fall of the price and then book. We found that about three to two weeks from these small length cruises they discount the cruise. We had a 4 day for 250 in January and we waited to long and it was 375 when we called. Supply and demand.

I have alot of travel web sites memorized and the ones that offer good deals.

Also a TA that will go to bat for you is also important.

Marlene

I hear about all these people getting this amazing cheap deals on cruises. Where are you booking them from. would love to take more cruises with the family. always looking for a bargain:) :o :p

As mentioned above there are lots of sources.... but bottom line is to get the rock bottom price usually you need to be willing to go at the beginning or end of a season like Alaska, non prime time like when kids are in school, or during potential bad weather time like hurricane season in Florida.

So if a person is flexible, not looking for the premire route like Med in the summer, the possibilities are there. Ours have come in many forms like Sunday travel section in the local newspaper, last minute email offers from the cruise line, web searches, and our TA research.

All of the above.

I do believe the key is to be flexible. If you the kind of person who goes with the flow, doesn't care about where or when you're going, what kind of cabin your getting or where it's located AND are able to drop and go at the last minute, you might be able to get some very inexpensive pricing.

I find most people are pickier than this or cannot accommodate the last minute vacation experience.

That being said, some of the most unhappy cruisers I know are those that chose on the basis of fare alone and totally mis-matched the cruise to their personality. They came away with a never again attitude, cruising is not for us. To me, sale or not, their choice ended up being no bargain but instead a total waste of money.

I do a lot of work with RCCL and Cel and if you booked a cabin in Sept and in January the cabin fare dropped, most times they will adjust your fare simply for the asking. So you might keep that in mind. You'd get selection choices, pay off time and the possibility of a price adjustment, though it's no guarantee!

I'd love to get low fares all the time but for me, I have found my vacation value extends far beyond pricing alone.

Price shouldn't be the bottom line, but I'd definately shop around.

My sister paid $600+ for the same cruise I paid ~$300 for. You can save ALOT of money by shopping round.

Price isn't the bottom line, but it definately should be given some attention.

I have to agree with all the advice. If you look around you CAN find the right cruise at the right price. The very best bargains may well be the repositioning cruises if price per day is your primary concern BUT that usually means boarding in one geographic area and landing in a totally different port that may be half way around the world! Not that that is a bad thing. Sometimes you can get free air with the cruise! Don't just compare cost per day per person. You have to look at the perks. Upgrades, free air, onboard credits, coupon books etc etc. That said you can always go to ANY travel agency and build a relationship with them that WILL eventually pay off when you are flexible! You may wind up with your dream vacation at a ridiculous price when it includes lots of perks.

do a google search for on-line cruises. etc

vacations to go.com

We went last april on the celebrity Constellation, 7 days in April. booked two months in advance. $500/person .Now this was an inside cabin but it was still a great cruise. We love a balcony but we also have 4 children, two in private schools 1 in college and 1 in grad school. YES !! for us money has to be a priority.

We had thought about a long weekend to the Napa valley and found a NICE &B COST ABOUT $200/ NIGHT AND HERE WE GOT A CRUISE FOR WHAT 4 NIGHTS WOULD HAVE COST.

our next cruise is feb,06. Celebrity, Summit,14 day CC class aft cabin. Now that one is our splurge.

But i wouls absolutely check out that web site

Good luck

Nadine

Flexibility is the number one key factor. You have to be ready to go when the availability is there.

We just booked a rate with RCCL for a 7-day Western Caribbean for the highest category Inside Guarantee for $379 pp. We got the rate about 10 days ago, and the cruise leaves on March 4th.

Now...if we get upgraded, things will be even better with the world...but we're happy just to be sailin'! :D

Archived