NCL voicemail today regarding testing for children under 12

texas poker

My husband seems to think that the voicemail saying that unvaccinated children under 12 must have a PCR test means that vaccinated children under 12 can disregard any testing requirement.  Anyone have any insight on this?  I think our vaccinated kiddos still need a negative antigen test to board.  

You should review the information on the NCL website. Under 12 needs PCR within 72 hours prior to sailing and will be tested at the pier before boarding and before disembarkation   
according to the website. Connect directly with NCL

Edited by kruiserkatie

56 minutes ago, academytim said:

So my two year old has to have a PCR test? I already paid for a reserved antigen test two days before sailing. When did this change?

What is really weird is that we have two cabins booked and he received this vm, but I did not.  Kids booked in both rooms.  But, yes, it seems like your 2 year old would have to have a PCR.  I was really hoping they would relax the requirement given the most recent CDC updates.  

2 hours ago, kruiserkatie said:

You should review the information on the NCL website. Under 12 needs PCR within 72 hours prior to sailing and will be tested at the pier before boarding and before disembarkation   
according to the website. Connect directly with NCL

When I booked (less than a month ago)…the requirement was an antigen test 2 days prior. Then it changed to an antigen test 2 days prior and additional testing at embark and disembark. Then it changed again to a PCR test within 72 hours and the additional testing at embark and disembark. How often do you recommend I review the information on the NCL website as it’s apparently been three different requirements within the last month. Shall I check every 4 hours for updates, or is it a reasonable expectation for them to notify me of changes when they happen?

I’ve now been on the phone all morning getting a refund for his antigen test I had already scheduled and paid for, and now booking the PCR test which costs more than double what the antigen test did. 

I 100% get that requirements can change. It just would have been nice to learn it from NCL instead of having to read about it on CruiseCritic. I would have been pretty pissed, and reasonably so, had I shown up with an antigen test…which is what they required at the time of booking…and they denied boarding due to needing a PCR test, with them never bothering to update me. Which it seems like exactly what would have happened had I not been browsing the NCL forum on Cruise Critic. 

Edited by academytim

36 minutes ago, kruiserkatie said:

I understand your frustration completely! It is a moving target which is unfortunate! And impacts all of us. I was simply answering your question in the hopes of helping out.

Apologies. I may have vented some of my frustration here. I was really questioning as to when the change happened, so I could decide how upset to be that NCL didn’t notify me. I appreciate you trying to make sure I had the most up to date info. I’m just hoping that if it changes again I’ll be notified. I shouldn’t have to be a cruise critic member to find that stuff out. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Please confirm that I am understanding correctly...

I am sailing with a fully vaccinated 10 year old. He will require an antigen test 2 days prior to boarding? For proof of vaccination, would I just bring his original (handwritten) vaccine card? In BC, under 12 is not eligible for the electronic version of vaccination certificate...

Thanks

24 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Please confirm that I am understanding correctly...

I am sailing with a fully vaccinated 10 year old. He will require an antigen test 2 days prior to boarding? For proof of vaccination, would I just bring his original (handwritten) vaccine card? In BC, under 12 is not eligible for the electronic version of vaccination certificate...

Thanks

Hi there.

My family sailed on the Getaway last week with our kids 10, 12, 15 & 17.

Your family will need an antigen test completed two days before sailing. So if you are sailing on Saturday, your tests need to be completed on Thursday. In our case, we were sailing Sunday and tested on Friday. The PCR test is required only for children 12 and under who are not vaccinated.

For our proof of vaccination, we printed out our Government of Ontario document which contains a QR code (that they did not use) but also shows each shot as well as brand and date given. In your case, I would recommend that you make a copy of the vaccination card and bring both the original and a copy with you.

You will show this along with your test results at check in and will also need it upon your return to Canada. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JillK said:

Hi there.

My family sailed on the Getaway last week with our kids 10, 12, 15 & 17.

Your family will need an antigen test completed two days before sailing. So if you are sailing on Saturday, your tests need to be completed on Thursday. In our case, we were sailing Sunday and tested on Friday. The PCR test is required only for children 12 and under who are not vaccinated.

For our proof of vaccination, we printed out our Government of Ontario document which contains a QR code (that they did not use) but also shows each shot as well as brand and date given. In your case, I would recommend that you make a copy of the vaccination card and bring both the original and a copy with you.

You will show this along with your test results at check in and will also need it upon your return to Canada. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

Perfect! Thanks! I know that our province doesn't provide the "official" government proof of vaccination for those under 12 (I'm planning on using that for myself and my teen) so fingers crossed the original vaccine card suffices!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 9:43 PM, texas poker said:

My husband seems to think that the voicemail saying that unvaccinated children under 12 must have a PCR test means that vaccinated children under 12 can disregard any testing requirement.  Anyone have any insight on this?  I think our vaccinated kiddos still need a negative antigen test to board.  

He is making an invalid assumption.