Disembarkation timing/travel to airport

1kaper

Our departing flight from IAH is now leaving at 12:30 on the day we disembark.  It is an international flight (to Canada). 

I was looking at the Galveston Express and the earliest one departs at 9:00 and it says it will be 2 hours.  That would get us there under the 2 hours required for international check in. 

I was planning to get an Uber/Lyft but now seeing that that might be an issue.  If I had time to spare, I would try it but don't want to get stuck without transportation. 

I see the Carnival shuttle has a time that leaves at 8 am.  It says we arrive in port at 8.  Do we arrive earlier?  How long will it take us to get off?

What is my best option here?

Disembarkation is so much easier and faster than in past in Galveston .

Improved new RCL procedures , new improved terminal infrastructure , and customs facial recognition   provide this so much better and faster disembarkation !  

On 3/5/2022 at 6:11 PM, dan4182 said:

Is Canada still requiring a Covid test to get back into the country?

App. 2 hours from the pier to IAH is right, on a good day maybe 1:45.

Yes, but I am doing the test on the ship the day before.  So that is good.  Only worry is the time it will take to get off the boat and to the airport. 

It is ~70 miles from the port to IAH and the "freeway" goes through the center of Houston, a city of 4 million.  Depending on the day and time the trip varies.  The earlier the OP leaves for IAH the better.  In order to be off the ship by 8:00 or a little before requires you to carry off your own luggage instead of checking it the night before.  A 12:30 international flight is cutting it close IMO.  

I am in a similar situation so didn't want to start a new thread but I was wondering whether you can choose to leave the ship in your own time or do you disembark in groups at a certain time?

Our flight (domestic) isn't until 8pm on day of disembarkation so we have no rush but need to schedule a time for the shuttle. Can I have breakfast on the ship and leave around 11-12?

For the OP.... ships coming into Galveston are almost always at the dock before 0600 unless something's slowed you down on your sea day.  If you're able to convince Guest Services that you have an early flight, you might be able to be "approved" for early "Self Assist" disembarking.  Our daughter is disabled, so we've been able to be approved on that basis.  You'll need to haul your own bags, which can be a problem for some people. 

We've done Self Assist the last three cruises, and our strategy is to "camp out" with our bags on the deck used for the gangway no later than 0630.  One person stays with the bags while the others go get breakfast and return so the bag-watcher can also eat.  Everyone is ready to go by 0720, and by that time there's almost always a queue building. 

The closer you get to actual disembarking time, the harder it will be to get an elevator... 

Once you step foot off the ship, it goes very quickly if you don't have to wait for checked bags.

On our RCL cruise two weeks ago, we were off the ship at 0725, and standing outside on the curb at 0736.  The facial recognition for exiting is a huge time saver... Not sure if Carnival is also using it at Galveston, but they should.

It's around 90 minutes to the airport assuming no accidents along the way.  Traffic in Houston may be heavy, but it usually moves at a good pace.  

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Thanks 1

For the second poster.... they pretty much want everyone off the ship no later than 1100, and preferably out of the room by 1000.  That gives Housekeeping four hours to flip all the rooms for the people boarding that afternoon.

16 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

For the OP.... ships coming into Galveston are almost always at the dock before 0600 unless something's slowed you down on your sea day.  If you're able to convince Guest Services that you have an early flight, you might be able to be "approved" for early "Self Assist" disembarking.  Our daughter is disabled, so we've been able to be approved on that basis.  You'll need to haul your own bags, which can be a problem for some people. 

We've done Self Assist the last three cruises, and our strategy is to "camp out" with our bags on the deck used for the gangway no later than 0630.  One person stays with the bags while the others go get breakfast and return so the bag-watcher can also eat.  Everyone is ready to go by 0720, and by that time there's almost always a queue building. 

The closer you get to actual disembarking time, the harder it will be to get an elevator... 

Once you step foot off the ship, it goes very quickly if you don't have to wait for checked bags.

On our RCL cruise two weeks ago, we were off the ship at 0725, and standing outside on the curb at 0736.  The facial recognition for exiting is a huge time saver... Not sure if Carnival is also using it at Galveston, but they should.

It's around 90 minutes to the airport assuming no accidents along the way.  Traffic in Houston may be heavy, but it usually moves at a good pace.  

Thanks!! 

We have a cove balcony so from what I’ve read we are lower meaning we will be off sooner so that should help with elevators as well. Or even just use stairs. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just popped back to update. 

We checked with guest services and told we could meet at 7:30 for self disembarkation for priority guests and those with early flights. 

We ended up in port early and we’re cleared early. We didn’t even get to the meeting spot before they started letting people off. 

we were off and into a Lyft before 8 am. I was a little worried about the Lyft because there weren’t  many drivers and it took a bit for someone to pick it up.  But it ended up being a lot longer walk to get off than I expected. 

The fare was $83 or so. Plus tip. 

We had smooth sailing right to the airport and made it with tons of time for our 12:40 flight. People in the Facebook group reported hitting traffic after us. 

I don’t recommend it but it worked out for us. 

i actually half hoped we missed our flight to stay for another night. 

• Like 1