LIVE The Oasis of the Seas 3/6-3/13/22

On 3/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, Maitaivegas said:

It has the cruise compass and the room service menu. Guest services did not have any cruise compasses in print.

We love the printed Cruise Compass - so we talked to our cabin steward about it on Day 1.  She left printed copies for us every evening, which was great!   I also had heard that when people asked at GS they were told they didn't have any - but I'm not sure if that happened to everyone that asked all week.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:14 AM, Maitaivegas said:

Sorry for my rant-

What frustrates me due to this staff shortage is the lack of places to eat at lunch when I’m port.

I lit can eat at the buffet or park cafe. El loco doesn’t open till 2pm, playmakers at 230pm, Johnny Rockets not till 3pm.

I guess I will eat at buffet, it’s hard to move around inside with my rollator.

stay tuned for pics and thanks for reading 

We were also frustrated about the Solarium Bistro being closed all week.  We wanted to try it for one dinner.  We also often liked using it on past cruises for breakfast on the mornings we went to the Solarium.  We tried Windjammer once for breakfast - it was a zoo.  We didn't go back.  We did the MDR for breakfast two mornings - that was nice - but when we wanted something quicker and/or earlier, we either went to Park Cafe or got room service.

Edited by moonltnite
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Thanks. I am on the March 20th sailing, same itinerary. Up until a few days ago, Day 6 was lobster day in the app, but it just changed to Day 5. I wonder why.....I guess I will have to double-check once I board. I don't want to accidently miss it with a specialty restaurant.

We got the lobster in CK on Day 6 - and I am pretty sure they had it in the MDR that night, too.  The app may show you the menus by day for the MDR - so you may want to see if it shows it on Day 6 there. Of course, we ALSO saw what others commented on in this thread - that the app was sometimes incorrect.  It also didn't always update our dinners.  When we were able to get in CK and nights 1 and 6 - they cancelled Chops for us.  We had Solarium Bistro originally on night 6, but that never disappeared - even though we were called on Day 1 to tell us Solarium Bistro was closed for the week.  Our app still showed Solarium Bistro - and it never showed the CK reservations. 

On 3/9/2022 at 5:39 PM, Maitaivegas said:

So quick update, I have seen kids under 12 not wearing masks. Spoke to an officer walking by and he stated “Per the CDC the unvaccinated adults and children do not have to wear masks”

And yes the risks are low for kids but they can give Covid to the immunosuppressant population.

I am not starting a mask debate, I’m just letting my friends here who love ones have immune issues know where RCI stands.

I thought you needed to be vaccinated as an adult to cruise.....

On 3/17/2022 at 2:29 PM, moonltnite said:

We were also frustrated about the Solarium Bistro being closed all week.  We wanted to try it for one dinner.  We also often liked using it on past cruises for breakfast on the mornings we went to the Solarium.  We tried Windjammer once for breakfast - it was a zoo.  We didn't go back.  We did the MDR for breakfast two mornings - that was nice - but when we wanted something quicker and/or earlier, we either went to Park Cafe or got room service.

Had windjammer for lunch- I only liked the mashed potatoes, salad and the pretzel rolls. The few other things I tried was gross.

I left hungry.

Hi all I’m back. I am feeling much better. In a week I’m going to the pain clinic and they are going to give me a spinal block. If it works then they will perform Radio frequency Ablation (RFA) on me, to temporarily numb some of my bulging discs.

I have taken 2 Covid tests and both are negative.

The filtration system on the ship was really good, I had no allergy issues at all. Also my eyes were not irritated while in doors, so less eyedrops.

I had fun even though I didn’t get to see any shows other then the movie “Respect” which was fantastic. I highly recommend this movie, I realized how much I missed going to the movies.

Tia and I are going to try to watch the whole season of Bridgerton on Netflix. Shout out to Shandra Rhymes for her success with this series. I always try to support POC in the entertainment field.

I was just posting to close out this report but I will be lurking and giving my .02 cents. You all Can’t get rid of me that easily.

Edited by Maitaivegas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok I’m back!! Just thought of something,

My Cabin steward was awesome!!

My cruise was the last one before he signed off but,  I would have never known that based on his service.

Every-time he saw me trying to take that walker in and out of the cabin, he would take it and put it in the cabin or take it out for me.

I never asked him too and actually I was telling him he didn’t need to lol.

So last day of the trip I tipped him $40 cash on top of the pre paid tips. I thought that was a fair amount, he shook my hand so hard I thought I was going to fall.

He was more than pleased, he thanked me  many times for it.

(Kind of tells me I may have over tipped lol) But when I used to go to Vegas 6 yrs ago or so, you tip everyone.

Makes me wonder if other people give extra tips to their cabin steward.

Its just money and I guarantee he needs it more than me, he lives in the Philippines.

So I’m happy I had the cash to help him, he went out of his way to help me.

Edited by Maitaivegas
  • Like 3

On 3/25/2022 at 10:48 AM, Maitaivegas said:

Ok I’m back!! Just thought of something,

My Cabin steward was awesome!!

My cruise was the last one before he signed off but,  I would have never known that based on his service.

Every-time he saw me trying to take that walker in and out of the cabin, he would take it and put it in the cabin or take it out for me.

I never asked him too and actually I was telling him he didn’t need to lol.

So last day of the trip I tipped him $40 cash on top of the pre paid tips. I thought that was a fair amount, he shook my hand so hard I thought I was going to fall.

He was more than pleased, he thanked me  many times for it.

(Kind of tells me I may have over tipped lol) But when I used to go to Vegas 6 yrs ago or so, you tip everyone.

Makes me wonder if other people give extra tips to their cabin steward.

Its just money and I guarantee he needs it more than me, he lives in the Philippines.

So I’m happy I had the cash to help him, he went out of his way to help me.

The two of us gave our cabin steward $70 - $10 per day - on top of our prepaid tip.  So I don't think you overpaid at $40 for you. I think they appreciate it a lot as many either don't tip much - or just do the prepaid tips.  They work so hard - and long hours - and aren't paid that much.   We also tip $5-10 a day when we stay in a hotel .... and room stewards do way more than maids in hotels.  

We were on the same cruise with you!  I didn't realize till last night though that you did a live report. I love that you gave so many details and important details for those with mobility challenges.  I do want to correct that the escape room was open.  We had a great time doing it with the couples we were traveling with and then others that joined us.  It was $19.99 a person. The lack of crew did seem apparent with not having everything up and going as much as it used to be, mostly times of service impacted, but I was sad that the Solarium Bistro was closed all week.  Since I had read on Cruise Critic about the absence recently of printed Cruise Compass, I knew to ask our room steward.  He gave us one each night, which was much appreciated.  I really think this is something they should not get rid of.  There is a lot more information on it than in the app and particularly for our friends who were first time cruisers they were really lost on many occasions (what to wear for dinner, how to plan your departure) without having a printed copy to tell them.  For example, on the Cruise Compass there was a QR code about departure.  Was this anywhere else?  Not that we knew of.  When the crew talked to us about having fewer staff they said it is an issue with the U.S. Govt. and not processing visas fast enough.  They have employees ready to work, but cannot get their visas.  We also noticed they ran out of a lot of items during our cruise.  The very first night they ran out of moscato in the dining room.  We had similar experiences with other types of alcohol and some foods.  Nothing that bothered us, we actually kinda laughed it off. We had an amazing cruise and I think the key to enjoying a cruise right now is to go with the flow and just be positive and happy to be back on a cruise again!   

• Like 2