Has Anyone Had Luck Booking Flights Using The Delta Reserve AMEX Companion Certificate

mikewomb

I’ve been able to use mine, but it has been an issue when I’ve wanted to make changes. I usually can’t make changes online, so I have to call. And wait times are terrible right now. As it stands, though, I was able to purchase 2 RT first class tickets to Vancouver for a very reasonable price. 

• Like 1

We have been successful (using both the Platinum and Reserve cards).  Sometimes it takes  a bit of compromise, departure and arrival times may not always be what we wanted but its still been worth it.  Also the Reserve cards free use of the Sky Club (cardholder always has free access while he gets 4 free companion tickets) has made it worth the annual cost.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:35 AM, CoG72crewz said:

We used our Delta Reserve companion fare to fly from Atlanta to FLL this past November.  It was a a last minute trip and fares were outrageous so the savings covered our annual fee easily. 

Did yours work to Canada…as it says 48 states only…that’s great

4 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

Did yours work to Canada…as it says 48 states only…that’s great

If you claim residency in Hawaii, Alaska or the Virgin Islands, they'll let you book DOMESTIC flights outside of the lower 48.  Since the person you quoted said they flew from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale I doubt they went to Canada.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:09 AM, mikewomb said:

We have this card from AMEX and once a year you get a certificate for one companion in any class. Basically 2 for 1. I spent many hours online trying to book it for our Beyond cruise in November, and kept getting an error message. I called Delta..I was on hold for 1 hour, and was told by the rep that it didn’t work for Fort Lauderdale or Miami. I found that a bunch of hogwash.  Wanting to know if anyone has or has not been success with this card going to either of those cities. Thanks in advance

Personally we found the Delta Amex card useless. We both had the Delta Amex Reserve card and one of the perks was up to a first class BOGO ticket. Good luck on trying to find flights. Even dealing with Delta’s reps was a pain. They simply do not have time to help. I feel for them and can sense their frustration. We both ditched the card for a different Amex. The annual fee was $550.00 each. The airlines continue to reduce the benefits of areas like Skymiles too. Add to that we now live on the west coast and United has better options even though we feel that Delta was the best of the major carriers. 

34 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you claim residency in Hawaii, Alaska or the Virgin Islands, they'll let you book DOMESTIC flights outside of the lower 48.  Since the person you quoted said they flew from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale I doubt they went to Canada.

The poster said Vancouver, and that is in Canada 

21 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

The poster said Vancouver, and that is in Canada 

Ah, you quoted the wrong person; I do wonder if Delta made an exception as the rules don't allow Canada although if they're a Canadian resident they could have different rules.  Congrats on your $550/each score! 

On 3/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, JFontaine said:

I book this on the Delta website (log in, certificate in my wallet), but on some flights eligible seats are never available, even the day they go on sale, thanks to Delta's forecasting models. Depending on your savings, it might make sense to try West Palm Beach.  

As soon as the flight schedule became available, I have been searching for companion ticket to FLL for January 2023.  No luck!  Between CVG and FLL, none of the flights - NONE - are coded for companion fares (all are code "N").  Ditto for return. Flying into PBI or MIA is not a good idea since we would have to pay huge Uber fees to get back and forth to FLL.  Searched several days surrounding preferred date.

I called Delta (Gold Medallion number), and was told (not for the first time), that American Express sets the number of tickets available for companion fares - there is nothing Delta can do.  BTW - on the flights I checked, only two tickets had been sold - plane almost completely unsold.  

1 hour ago, Pushkin said:

As soon as the flight schedule became available, I have been searching for companion ticket to FLL for January 2023.  No luck!  Between CVG and FLL, none of the flights - NONE - are coded for companion fares (all are code "N").  Ditto for return. Flying into PBI or MIA is not a good idea since we would have to pay huge Uber fees to get back and forth to FLL.  Searched several days surrounding preferred date.

I called Delta (Gold Medallion number), and was told (not for the first time), that American Express sets the number of tickets available for companion fares - there is nothing Delta can do.  BTW - on the flights I checked, only two tickets had been sold - plane almost completely unsold.  

I would call again. I was having no luck..called the medallion desk, and she moved the return flight out one more day, and bingo…all the hours I had spent were wasted.  Ticked first class. I had never heard that about Amex …I would be on the phone with them to clarify that. Good luck. Ours was also to ft lauderdale in Jan 23.  Also Miami isn’t a big deal. They have a slick train that costs almost nothing, or you can do a car or taxi for less than $50 

Their website should work the majority of the time, one doesn't necessarily need to call if they have some time.  Yet a rep could be helpful in immediately locating alternate dates and/or nearby airports.

I've learned years ago that if your cruise ends on a Sunday, it's almost always cheaper to book a hotel for the night and take an early flight Monday.

• Like 1

I have The Delta Amex Reserve card and was sitting on 2 companion passes due to COVID. We are going to Hawaii this spring with friends and found I was able to gift 1 of the passes to them to use. We are flying to SEA using the passes and doing an overnight so we can fly out to Hawaii the next morning. We will be doing the reverse to fly home. Booked the tickets in Dec. 21 online with no problem. 2 first class tickets AZO to SEA for $770.00. Similar price for friends flying ORD to SEA. Plan on using the Sky Club passes on this trip. Just made the fee for 2 years worth it.

• Like 1