Cruise booked on board

s0479

I have a question - I think I unfortunately know the answer but folks on here are so savvy I thought I would verify.  I booked a future placeholder cruise while on a cruise in 11/2021.  I had 90 days to book a cruise (with lower deposit of $200 and OBC).  I booked an Alaska cruise in 12/2021.  I generally use Marriott Vacation Club points for the cruise and I let my travel agent (the one I'm required to use) know this but wanted to wait to use the points because things were still so uncertain (I had done this for my prior cruise).  When I called last week (since close to final payment) to apply the points I was told because I hadn't applied the points when I booked....my only option was to cancel and rebook...needless to say I wasn't happy but had no choice according to them.  So for my actual question- they cancelled my cruise and took my refundable deposit and made it OBC and said I lost my other OBC (for booking on board).  Is this true?  I thought it would move with me - as it has in the past.  I'm thinking that because I had to actually cancel the cruise vs just move the current cruise to another sailing that is why I lost it?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Not sure about lots of your question but why was your refundable deposit turned into OBC? Is that what you wanted? Seems like "refundable" means that you should get the money back. A far as the rest- Have you read the information on the Marriott Vacation Club to see whether they say that use of points is required at booking? And if so- why didn't the required TA say so? Seems to me that you could argue that she/he should have provided that information up front when you booked.  Of course if they have already cancelled the cruise it is unlikely that you can get Celebrity to return the OBC but it seems to me that Marriott should take some responsibility for your loss.