Passports Needed Or Not?

wizard-of-roz

It is true, don't need passport until Jan 1, 2007. I'm also doing Northwest in Sept, and decided to just apply for the darn thing and get it over with. My local news tonight did a story on this exact issue, and apparently only 25% of Americans already carry a passport, so bet the passport agencies get REALLY busy later this year.

OBTW, you don't need a passport to enter Canada; you need it to get back into the US!:eek:

What you might need from a legal perspective and what the cruise line requires may be two different things.

Check to see if the cruiseline requires a passport as a condition for boarding. Their rules may be stricter than US Immigration.

Art

Here's the scoop right off the Celebrity site. :rolleyes:

What documents will I need to travel?

Subject: Online Check-in and Documentation

Before Leaving Home:

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship.

Caution:

The requirements described below are either required by government regulations or reflect Celebrity Cruises' travel policies. They are subject to change without notice.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify all travel documents and obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation and family legal documents required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries. For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Important:

Celebrity Cruises domestic sailings are all sailings originating and ending in ports located in the U.S., Canada and Mexico including Panama Canal sailings. All other sailings are considered to be international sailings. These include itineraries in Europe, South America and Australia/New Zealand including re-positioning sailings originating or ending in their ports. U.S. citizens traveling on our international sailings are required to have valid passports.

Domestic Sailing Requirements: Starting December 31, 2006, the United States government is proposing the introduction of new passport rules.

U.S. Citizens: The new proposed U.S. passport regulations would take effect gradually over the next few years:

By December 31, 2006, passports will be required for all air and sea travel to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, and Central and South America.

By December 31, 2006, passports will be required for all air and sea travel to and from Canada and Mexico.

By December 31, 2007, passports or other accepted travel documents will be required for land border crossings to and from Canada or Mexico.

By January 1, 2008, all Americans departing and returning to the United States will be required to have a valid U.S. passport.

For information on obtaining or renewing a passport, visit the State Department's Website. U.S. passports are valid for ten years, so the initial cost averages out over subsequent vacations - especially if you cruise frequently.

U.S. Naturalized Citizens: A U.S. passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended as it will speed-up your ship check-in formalities. In the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required.

Good Luck!

...for requiring passports to Canada and Alaska! Is this true?...

You will not need a passport for entry into Canada this summer. Last time I checked, Alaska is still part of the USA so standard ID will be always be good. :rolleyes: You can use a regular domestic stamp for sending a postcard from an Alaskan port back to the lower 48.

Les

For air and sea travel, the date is Jan 1, 2007. Land travel is a year later. All Alaska/PNW cruises stop in B.C. to comply with the Jones Act.

Check with the cruise line. Have to have the documents they specify to board their ship, right?

It's not a stupid question to ask about a passport for an Alaska cruise because since all cruises need to visit a Canadian port during an Alaskan cruise, everyone who does an Alaskan cruise after this summer, will need a passport after this Alaska cruise season.

will be found at: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

At this time it is scheduled for 1 Jan 2008.

John, I think this is the second time you posted this same message. On another thread previously. You did not read carefully and are at risk of badly informing someone. That statement only applies to land crossiings with Mexico and Canada. I posted the correct information on that thread as well. I guess you didn't see it.

All arrival and departures via air or sea must have a passport after Dec. 31, 2006. Anyone flying or curising to/from a foreign country, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean included, as of Jan. 1, 2007 requires a passport.

Now to the orignial OP, no passport required for any reason for the portion of your cruise that will touch Canada in 2006. BC and DL are sufficient.

What you might need from a legal perspective and what the cruise line requires may be two different things.

Check to see if the cruiseline requires a passport as a condition for boarding. Their rules may be stricter than US Immigration.

Art

Not likely, if they expect to compete successfully with the other cruiselines. US Customs and Immigration rules apply. There was some confusion on cruiseline websites when the original regulation revisions were published but before the public comment period had expired. Now that the dates have been extended, the cruiselines and other tour operators should be showing the same effective dates for passport requirements.

We'll be doing the Northwest and Alaska in September, 2006. I was told we did NOT need passports because the date had been extended until 2007 for requiring passports to Canada and Alaska! Is this true?

Does anyone know the facts?:confused:

Thanks,

Roz

Roz, you do not need passports in 2006. From 2007 onward, you do.;)

John, I think this is the second time you posted this same message. On another thread previously. You did not read carefully and are at risk of badly informing someone. That statement only applies to land crossiings with Mexico and Canada. I posted the correct information on that thread as well. I guess you didn't see it.

All arrival and departures via air or sea must have a passport after Dec. 31, 2006. Anyone flying or curising to/from a foreign country, Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean included, as of Jan. 1, 2007 requires a passport

You are correct, I failed to click on the FAQ details and never saw the phase in schedule that is posted. Seems to me they could have just put that in the main paragraph and made it simple to see. Thanks for correcting my bad posts.

There is NO downside to getting a passport ASAP.

You may not NEED it but it's the gold standard of ID even if you're not leaving the US.

WRT Canada, it's been several years now since the border guards on land started getting fairly grumpy with passportless visitors. That's why we got ours in early 2002 -- and were happy to have them along when we started cruising other regions later that year, even though they weren't NEEDED.

They're good for 10 years (five for kids) so once you've got yours, you don't have to worry about it again for a loooooong time.

There is NO downside to getting a passport ASAP.

You may not NEED it but it's the gold standard of ID even if you're not leaving the US. quote]

Precisely why I took DD to apply last week. She has no travel plans, but you just never know! Decided to get it over with before the passport offices get REALLY busy as the deadline approaches.

The passport agencies were extremely backed up this December, January and February- even after announcing the change of requirements to 2007. A co-worker applied with 2 months advance notice and received her passport the day before she left- after she had already paid for another set of certified b-certs.

If you think you will be traveling anytime during 2007 where a passport may be needed- I'd suggest applying now. The rush fee is $60 per passport- plus shipping costs- and why not spend that money on board instead, right?

Archived