Difference between Thomson and Marella

The main difference for me is the present ships are much better than the old ones. Explorer is a gem, at least as good as P&O's now two mid range ships. Of the four IMO Ex2 is a disappointment and not as good as the Discoveries. The 'new' Marella Voyager deck plans are worrying with a poorer layout than Explorer, however Marella deck plans are usually different than aboard the ships!.

One thing that has not changed is solo passengers not being able to book balcony cabins. This irritates me as I will now only cruise in a balcony cabin so it is good bye Marella 😢

I managed to book the only single balcony cabin on the Dream a few times. I so liked the Dream, the layout, Tides in the evening listening to Tom and Maris, the lovely waiters in the dining room who always remembered you. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tizzy-Jo said:

I managed to book the only single balcony cabin on the Dream a few times. I so liked the Dream, the layout, Tides in the evening listening to Tom and Maris, the lovely waiters in the dining room who always remembered you. 

Agree with you, the good old day's. We still watch Maris, live, on YouTube 😊

On 3/12/2022 at 8:30 AM, bluewater2111 said:

Last summer we cruised and noticed that some things had changed over the years. For example no food gala night, they used to be magnificent and also no atmosphere in the dining room and no pavlova nights! 

Anyone else?

Some of the changes are due to Covid restrictions but not all. Most of the cutbacks are since they changed the name to Marella and became AI. 

Strange that they now call it an AI cruise when in fact there are now more extras to pay for than ever before. 

The standard of food in the MDR has dropped considerably. 

No wine waiters often means a longer wait for drinks with waiters having little knowledge of wines.

Don't like that you can only get certain drinks in certain bars.

Cocktails vary quite a lot from bar to bar. Some on the basic drinks package are very disappointing. 

No Buffet Magnifique or Baked Alaska Night. 

Afternoon tea in the lounge with a classical duo used to be included in the basic price. Now £15 pp with a couple of singers from the show team.

On the positive side the crew are as hardworking and welcoming as ever.