Mediterranean - Current freedom to explore

Jammy Bun

Could anyone who is currently onboard, or who has VERY recently disembarked a Viking cruise, tell me what the current situation is regarding self-exploration in Spain, France, Croatia and Italy.

We are booked to cruise for 2 weeks in early June, from Barcelona to Venice, and our final payment is almost due (British T&Cs).  We did a very similar cruise less than 3 months ago, and are aware that most of the Covid protocols onboard are still in place, and have decided we could live with that - but the deal breaker is going to be if we have to stay in a Viking bubble again.  That part of the world is very familiar to us, and we aren't interested in most of the tours, just want to get off the ship to have a wander, maybe a drink and a meal, and soak up the local atmosphere... at our own pace!  

If you can help with this information you'll make our decision easier. Thank you.

This question keeps coming up every few days. We are cruising from Barcelona to Venice beginning April 9, so I share your interest in this topic. Since this will be our first vacation in three years, I am happy to get ashore even in a bubble, but your circumstances are different. With a final payment coming up, I understand your concern. 

Italy has announced it will drop the Covid state of emergency March 31. There is much speculation that the cruise exploration restrictions will end then as well. So far, I have not been able to find any confirmation of that prediction, so I hope an answer comes before your payment date. 

An up to date thread "Italy-Adriatic-Greece March 2022" covers conditions in some of your travel areas, and independent exploration is still prohibited in Italy at this time. Not sure about Croatia, but my reading leads me to believe that Spain and France do allow you to go ashore on your own.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

An up to date thread "Italy-Adriatic-Greece March 2022" covers conditions in some of your travel areas, and independent exploration is still prohibited in Italy at this time. Not sure about Croatia, but my reading leads me to believe that Spain and France do allow you to go ashore on your own.

Thanks for your kind response.  I hope your cruise goes well and you don't have to jump through too many hoops! 

Spain was in fact allowing independent exploration in December/January when we last cruised - but Viking didn't allow us off unless on a bubbled tour. 

The paragraph below is from the Explore Safely section of My Viking Journey. Viking no longer requires exploring in a bubble, but requirements of the host country take priority. Still waiting with fingers crossed for Italy to drop that requirement. I will be fine with the Viking excursions we have booked, but I do like to stay behind after a tour for some wandering on our own when transportation is available. 

"Shore Excursions & Exploration

We have redesigned our land program to monitor destinations for the prevalence of COVID-19 and further limit group sizes. Depending on conditions at the time of sailing, shore excursions may be limited while in port. All shore excursion motor coaches will be fully sanitized, and face masks are required while riding. Additionally, face masks may be required on shore excursions to comply with local regulations. Guests may explore independently while following requirements in the country they are visiting."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1