Preferred map publisher of Greek islands: Orama v Anavasi?

pdmlynek

We will be visiting several Greek islands in June on NCL Jade this summer, stopping by Patmos, Rhohos, Mykonos, Kefaloni, Kerkyra/Corfu, and Thira/Santorini.  

For several of these islands, I am able to get a map (1:20k to 1:50K range) from the main stream publisher but for others, it is slim pickings.  There are just two publishers that cover each of these islands, namely, Orama (https://www.oramaeditions.gr/ ) and Anavasi (https://anavasi.gr/) , both appear to be based in Greece.  

For those of you who like to do your excursions in Greek islands, do you recommend Anavasi or Orama?  

Thanks!

Edited by pdmlynek

• pdmlynek changed the title to Preferred map publisher of Greek islands: Orama v Anavasi?
  • 5 months later...

Just an answer to my own query of 5 months ago, for those who want to buy detailed maps of any of the islands on your cruise.  I ended up buying a map for every island that we visited, from different publishers.

We liked the Anavasi the best.  Orama is also good. 

Another good map publisher for Greece is Road (www.road.com), but our maps did have a long./lat. grid.

We were not able to find any publishers outside Greece that were comparable to Anavasi, Orama, or Road.  F&B's maps did not have contours, merely idiotic shading where the map makers assume that sun is shining on the islands from the north.  😞 

I cannot help but wonder how many saw this thread and thought, "what is a map?"  Many years ago I had many map sets of Europe (because we do a lot of independent/driving trips).  When we used to go to Europe I would sometimes pack over 10 pounds of maps and map books.   But for at least the last decade, we simply have our phones (and iPad for a larger screen) which is actually much better than the old map sets.   I still have a decent European road Atlas (which stays home) which is helpful for planning long driving trips (I can see the road networks of large areas at a glance).

By the way, I still get a laugh thinking about many years ago when we were driving somewhere in France and got completely lost.  DW was in the passenger seat with a large Michelin map book of France and I asked her "where are we."  Her reply was "how can I find us on the map if I don't know where we are?"   These days we can simply ask Siri  🙂

Hank