Covid test for returning to Canada by road

ERLEC

For those of you Canadian cruisers sailing out from NY port and crossing the Canadian border by car, where do you go for testing prior to accessing the border on your return to Canada?

We drove to New Jersey last November for a cruise and the test was done by the cruise line before we left the ship. Some cruise lines are still doing onboard testing for Canadians who need a test to return to Canada after their cruise.  Norwegian is supposed to be one of them.  Royal Caribbean used to do it but it seems they do not anymore.

At the end of March we are driving across the border at Windsor/Detroit and then flying from Detroit for a cruise out of NY. After disembarking we are immediately heading over to Bayonne and getting on another ship before we fly home.  Haven't figured out yet exactly where we will get tested but something will work out for us. Part of me is hoping that by April 10 there is no longer any test requirements needed to get back in to Canada.

Have you checked with the Duty Free store where you are crossing the border? I'm not sure about all stores but the one on the American side of the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit/Windsor is doing them in the store before you cross.  We haven't tried it yet, but might if it is necessary on our upcoming vacation at the end of March. 

2 minutes ago, MrsK said:

We drove to New Jersey last November for a cruise and the test was done by the cruise line before we left the ship. Some cruise lines are still doing onboard testing for Canadians who need a test to return to Canada after their cruise.  Norwegian is supposed to be one of them.  Royal Caribbean used to do it but it seems they do not anymore.

At the end of March we are driving across the border at Windsor/Detroit and then flying from Detroit for a cruise out of NY. After disembarking we are immediately heading over to Bayonne and getting on another ship before we fly home.  Haven't figured out yet exactly where we will get tested but something will work out for us. Part of me is hoping that by April 10 there is no longer any test requirements needed to get back in to Canada.

Have you checked with the Duty Free store where you are crossing the border? I'm not sure about all stores but the one on the American side of the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit/Windsor is doing them in the store before you cross.  We haven't tried it yet, but might if it is necessary on our upcoming vacation at the end of March. 

Princess is also providing free testing at the pier for Canadians 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ERLEC said:

Anyone know if Carnival offers testings as well?

Carnival offers limited testing for embarkation.  I haven't seen anything for debarkation. 
They definitely do not offer it for free.

Depending on when you sail it might not be an issue now as it appears it will be lifted April 1. 

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

Depending on when you sail it might not be an issue now as it appears it will be lifted April 1. 

Now I don't have to worry about test results to cross the border back in to Canada, I might have a different problem to solve.

We are doing what I recently heard referred to as a "side to side".  We are sailing out of New York on the NCL Getaway, getting off that ship and immediately going to Bayonne to get on the RCL Anthem.  Our plan was to get the required return to Canada testing on the Getaway and use those results to board the Anthem. 

Now to figure out some options for that testing if we can't do it onboard the Getaway.  I suppose there is always the terminal in Bayonne before we board.

11 minutes ago, MrsK said:

Now I don't have to worry about test results to cross the border back in to Canada, I might have a different problem to solve.

We are doing what I recently heard referred to as a "side to side".  We are sailing out of New York on the NCL Getaway, getting off that ship and immediately going to Bayonne to get on the RCL Anthem.  Our plan was to get the required return to Canada testing on the Getaway and use those results to board the Anthem. 

Now to figure out some options for that testing if we can't do it onboard the Getaway.  I suppose there is always the terminal in Bayonne before we board.

As NCL presumably will continue to provide testing for those whose countries still require one, maybe they'll allow you be tested too if you are willing to pay. Worth checking into.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As NCL presumably will continue to provide testing for those whose countries still require one, maybe they'll allow you be tested too if you are willing to pay. Worth checking into.

I definitely plan to try to get one onboard.  I don't have any objections to paying for it, if need be.  The convenience will be worth it.

• Like 1