IAH Houston to Galveston pre-cruise questions

Sand and Seas

We will be flying in two days early for our cruise and staying in Galveston at the Tremont House.  (For our first trip to Galveston, decided to really enjoy the hotel and downtown area!)    Planning our travel from IAH airport to Galveston seems to be the toughest part of this trip🤔 

First Question-  What is traffic from IAH to Galveston usually like on a Saturday afternoon in late October?  (Arriving at IAH about 2pm)

In reading posts here it sounds like we should expect a minimum of 1.75 hours.   

Thinking about shuttle service, or booking a car service, or maybe even a one-way rental car?  (we don't Uber/Lyft)

*Has anyone successfully booked a one-way rental to Galveston?

*Will a shuttle take forever dropping people off at the beach hotels before taking us to the downtown area?

*Maybe worth it to book a car service?

Traffic in Houston can be heavy at 3am on a Saturday, but it moves.  No more than 90 minutes would be my guess give or take from IAH.

I've been trading emails today with a car service I've used to/from the port, and they currently charge around $250 for an Escalade with 3-4 people plus bags. That's comparable with Uber's premium service.  I'd do it again for a group of 3.

Royal wanted $90 per person for the bus to IAH, which is a better deal if there are only two of you.  Not so much with 3+.  

Uber quotes out at $130 but potentially in a much smaller vehicle, and 90 minutes is a loooong drive scrunched up three across the back seat of some guy's Prius or Civic.  And that assumes your bags will fit.

We tried Uber XL at Miami for a group of four, and had to decline two different drivers because they showed up with cars too small for our luggage.  Third one showed up in a minivan... 

Enterprise is the only agency I know of on Galveston that does a one-way rental to the island.  I've heard of people renting for the week and paying for parking, which seems really maddening.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Thanks 1

Closer to 90 minutes sounds good.  I'm hopeful that on a Saturday afternoon we are missing some of the worst traffic.  We can't take a cruise-line shuttle as we are going in two days early.   

I would love to hear shuttle recommendations, or if someone was successful with a one-way rental from airport to Galveston.   

Do the shuttles run on time or are you left waiting at the airport for awhile?

I was not able to book a one way rental with Enterprise. 

The other companies will allow one ways but the closest place to drop of is La Marque which is about 20km from Galveston according to maps.