Independence of the Seas - Family Cruise Review

We are from Central Florida and are Diamond members, this was our first time on Indy; and the first cruise for our almost 2 year old boy. 

Going out of Port Canaveral is quick and easy! Parking is $17/day at the port. The terminal is clean, organized, and quick with the boarding and disembarking process (just never say yes to any of the “health questions” and you’ll be right on the ship!). 

It was clear from the beginning of the cruise that staff and even some “supplies” (aka Liquor, Beer, and wine) was short in many areas of the ship. Not as many bartenders and service was slower in the Main Dining Room… we were told night 1 that they were short staffed in the kitchen. It took about 2 hours for dinner, which is about 30 minutes more than we are used to. 

The ship was in great shape overall. Our balcony was a bit “salty” on the glass and floor but by the end of day 2 it was cleaned.  All public areas were in pristine condition. 

Adventure Ocean was packed with kids - consistent “filled to capacity” signs on the doors.  We didn’t end up using the Nursery, although we registered to be able to use it. We were busy keeping him busy elsewhere - like on the street, checking out the blue car or up in the Viking Lounge. We walked around a lot and spent the most time at Splash Away Bay with the diaper area during the open time blocks. See my photo for more on that; perfect for littles in a diaper or not quite potty trained. 

We loved Playmakers, the wings were excellent. They took great care of us, and our little boy liked to “play” SkiBall, and basketball. Alex the manager was fantastic - visited our table, checked on us twice. 

Everyone was very friendly, always greeting our little boy with a friendly hello. Even though they all had masks on, you could tell they were smiling. Faith in Chops was excellent, so kind, and patient with us having him there with us for dinner - and that food is ALWAYS so good, it did not disappoint this time either! It was much better than MDR for us on this cruise because the kitchen in MDR was just too short staffed and took too long. Our service was great, and they apologized but it was also quite warm on Deck 5 of MDR. We were disappointed that the Mater’D never visited our table, as D and D+ we are used to that, but we did see him helping with service at another table. We had breakfast on Deck 3 one day and it wasn’t warm like Deck 5, but food was still slow to come out. Oh - and you can’t get cream cheese that’s more than the glob the size of a quarter! 

We eventually found out from Concierge in the Diamond Lounge that Wonder Of The Seas stole all the well trained experienced staff for its inaugural sailing just the week prior, from all ships, leaving less help on Indy and many other ships. Hopefully Royal can fix this and bring on more help in the kitchen and at the bars soon. It apparently took supplies from all over which was why some bars couldn’t make a margarita or give us a certain beer without going to another location to get it. 

Coco Cay was beautiful - my first time at Perfect Day - and wow, the changes! We did a Day Bed at Breezy Bay at Chill Island and it was so worth it!! Having a spot for our things, not have to search for a place, and that side of the island had much calmer waters. It was great! I only wished they had bar service come to the beds - there was not really any bar service. Photographers were around and got some excellent shots of our little boy. The pool was so clean and nice, a little cold but that was ok to cool off in. Music was a little too loud in the afternoon walking by - not so great for little ears. Splash Away Bay on the island was great - cold water - but fun! You do have to be 36” to go on their 3 slides, but no diaper/potty train requirement - everyone can play! The pirate ship was interactive and another wet place to play for all. We did not go to Thrill Water park. Tacos and Cuban were delicious at Chill Island Food area.

We did not get off the ship in Nassau due to Vaccination requirements for our little one, and having to book an excursion through Royal to get off. We love excursions but there isn’t a lot an almost 2 year old can really do. Also the pier was under construction and we were docked at the very end, so I was glad to miss a long hot walk to the main entrance from the pier. Plus staying on the ship when many others are off the ship is always great! 

They needed more putters on the putting course - lots of people waiting to play because there were not enough. 

The ice skating show Freeze Frame was excellent!! One of the best I’ve seen. 

We didn’t see it for ourselves, but Grease was LiVe! on our sailing and we heard others saying it was great. 

Johnny Rockets was delicious and we all enjoyed it - they don’t dance as much but it was still a good lunch. Great burgers, BLT, and delicious shakes!

We ate for the first time in the Windjammer for dinner, due to not wanting to eat early in MDR, and we were honestly not that excited for the MDR menu that night. Well, we were very satisfied with our WJ choice - made to order ramen, make your own charcuterie, salad bar, lamb shank, stuffed cabbage, Indian, soups, pizza, steak, chicken, moussakka and more… truly impressive. The worst part of that is they don’t come clear your table as you eat so there isn’t a lot of room if you have multiple plates from wanting to eat everything. 

Overall I would cruise on Indy again with a little one, in a connecting cabin, and we still love Royal; they just need to give a little love to their older ship’s staff instead of pulling away staff for newer ships. Everyone did their job; and took care of us, it was enjoyable and just what I was hoping for on our first family cruise. 

46E1EA91-5181-4E9C-B6D9-4B68DCA0D5FB.jpeg

99102A84-FD8C-466A-801B-AD3E0825F6FD.jpeg

09FA5375-5E84-4C42-B1C2-07D17285CB1F.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing! We’re cruising Indy with our (will be 18 month old) daughter in June so it was nice to hear how things are going with the under 2s. My son is an experienced cruiser at this point so hopefully he still enjoys AO. 

Is that a standard shower curtain?  We use those magnetic hooks too and I brought an older sheet that i repurposed.

Can’t believe you didn’t get bar service on the island went renting a day bed.  That is ridiculous.    

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Is that a standard shower curtain?  We use those magnetic hooks too and I brought an older sheet that i repurposed.

Can’t believe you didn’t get bar service on the island went renting a day bed.  That is ridiculous.    

@topnole Yes, that is a standard shower curtain (72”) ordered on Amazon. 

We were disappointed without the service but it was nice to go to the pool bar and get to see a little more of the island since we had not been since it was changed to Perfect Day 👍🏻

7 minutes ago, Air&Sea said:

Thanks for sharing. 

My wife and sons first cruise was on Indy and we all loved it.

We are booked on Explorer OTS this Summer. We are hoping that Royal doesn't let us down. 

Indy is a great ship! Never been on Explorer but have been on Adventure, Voyager, Mariner - Mariner is one of most favorite ships!! Hopefully they didnt take away too many people from Explorer and you get great service on the ship! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondcruiser87 said:

@topnole Yes, that is a standard shower curtain (72”) ordered on Amazon. 

We were disappointed without the service but it was nice to go to the pool bar and get to see a little more of the island since we had not been since it was changed to Perfect Day 👍🏻

My youngest will be on his first cruise soon.  I think I’ll order a new shower curtain.  Didn’t think they would be long enough.  But looks perfect.