Dress to impress explorer

Hi again. Sorry for loads of posts with questions. 

I understand that Explorer is still running at a reduced capacity due to Covid. Is the dress to Impress nights still going ahead?

If not I don't need to pack my tux lol.

Cheers

On 3/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, obiwan8472 said:

I understand that Explorer is still running at a reduced capacity due to Covid. Is the dress to Impress nights still going ahead?

Cheers

Yes one Dress to Impress night once a week and yes bring your tux, many still do.

Too many people can't be bothered to make a bit of an effort.

Oh how I hate to hear that so often spoken phrase by some passengers  " It's your holiday, you paid for it, wear what you like "  Or people who enjoy dressing up in the evening being referred to as " Cruise Snobs " and being told to go with Cunard.

Sad to see that standards have fallen quite a lot since we started cruising with Thomson / Marella. many years ago. Yes the older ships like the Celebration, Spirit and Dream lacked the wow factor of some newer ships but the standards in all areas were much higher. 

Some negative posts on cruise forums this morning about standards on recent cruises. Not just about dress codes but about behaviour of some passengers towards crew, for example passengers  snapping their fingers at bar staff, giving them abuse about slow service etc.

So if you usually wear your tux on Dress to Impress evening, go for it,  and I hope you have a fantastic time on board.

Edited by nancyneptune
  • Like 2

So agree. We were on end of February 2022. First week probably two thirds had black tie etc. second week about half. The standard of dress was appalling in main dining room for this second week. Many were in beach wear. Shorts vests etc allowed. Most hotels we visit don’t allow men in if not in long trousers. If I want to dress down I go to the buffet. We like dressing up a bit. We save long and hard for our trips. Money isn’t easy for us so we want pleasant memories of these times. 
I’d like Marella to actually say No to some of the poor behaviours from passengers that we witnessed with our grandchildren this last month. I will be with them if they do. 

4 hours ago, DiLC said:

So agree. We were on end of February 2022. First week probably two thirds had black tie etc. second week about half. The standard of dress was appalling in main dining room for this second week. Many were in beach wear. Shorts vests etc allowed. Most hotels we visit don’t allow men in if not in long trousers. If I want to dress down I go to the buffet. We like dressing up a bit. We save long and hard for our trips. Money isn’t easy for us so we want pleasant memories of these times. 
I’d like Marella to actually say No to some of the poor behaviours from passengers that we witnessed with our grandchildren this last month. I will be with them if they do. 

I'm with you there DiLC.  Not so long ago the Maitre'D used to turn men  away if they weren't wearing long trousers and closed shoes and a collared shirt. Any hotels we have been in abroad also request men to wear long trousers for dinner in the evening. 

Marella are now saying smart shorts are allowed in the MDR. Shorts are shorts and are casual wear. Not smart casual. Some people don't seem to know the difference between casual and smart casual.

• Like 1

So sorry to see standards dropping, we just think its nice to dress in Tux etc, it is after all only one night per week.  We noticed, on our last cruise, the behaviour of some passengers which was just not acceptable. TUI just happy to fill the ship unfortunately 

• Like 3

This topic comes around again and again. My take on it is that we are all on holiday, if dressing up in full kilt/ tux, cocktail dress is something that you want to do just go for it.

All that we need to keep in mind is that not everyone wants to do this and that is also ok.

We shouldn’t judge each other because their choice of dress is different.

when we are on board I dress as I would in a restaurant anywhere else, My suits went into the bin when I retired and as Idh 2019 says no point in buying one now.

Enjoy your holidays and just concentrate on what pleases you and not on what other people are doing.😉

Edited by Brummijam
Spellung
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Brummijam said:

This topic comes around again and again. My take on it is that we are all on holiday, if dressing up in full kilt/ tux, cocktail dress is something that you want to do just go for it.

All that we need to keep in mind is that not everyone wants to do this and that is also ok.

when we are on board I dress as I would in a restaurant anywhere else, My suits went into the bin when I retired and as Idh 2019 says no point in buying one now.

Enjoy your holidays and just concentrate on what pleases you and not on what other people are doing.😉

Yes this topic does come up fairly often and if people would follow Marella's guidance on dress codes it wouldn't need to.

Swimwear is fine for the pool deck but guests should cover up and wear footwear when going inside the ship. Shorts and t shirts and sundresses fine for the buffet during the day.  Smarter dress for the MDR and other restaurants in the evening just as you would when dining out at a nice restaurant at home. One night a week guests are asked to make a bit more of an effort if dining in the MDR or speciality restaurants. Anyone who doesn't want to dress for this special evening or doesn't want to attend has the opportunity to dine in the buffet restaurant. Yet recently some people have been turning up to the MDR in the evening wearing shorts and vests. I find this disrespectful to the crew and other guests and a complete disregard for Marella's guidelines. 

I can understand why the head waiters are reluctant to challenge some people on this because of the attitude of a growing number of passengers who think they can do as they please and are rude to waiting staff. 

Marella dress code..png

1 hour ago, nancyneptune said:

Yes this topic does come up fairly often and if people would follow Marella's guidance on dress codes it wouldn't need to.

Swimwear is fine for the pool deck but guests should cover up and wear footwear when going inside the ship. Shorts and t shirts and sundresses fine for the buffet during the day.  Smarter dress for the MDR and other restaurants in the evening just as you would when dining out at a nice restaurant at home. One night a week guests are asked to make a bit more of an effort if dining in the MDR or speciality restaurants. Anyone who doesn't want to dress for this special evening or doesn't want to attend has the opportunity to dine in the buffet restaurant. Yet recently some people have been turning up to the MDR in the evening wearing shorts and vests. I find this disrespectful to the crew and other guests and a complete disregard for Marella's guidelines. 

I can understand why the head waiters are reluctant to challenge some people on this because of the attitude of a growing number of passengers who think they can do as they please and are rude to waiting staff. 

Marella dress code..png

Hi Nancy. I pretty much agree with what you say regarding dress code in general but my point in my earlier post was in regard to the dress to impress night.

By choice I don’t want to wear a suit and also by choice I don’t want to eat my evening meal in the buffet restaurant. We all like to dine in a nice restaurant and to have a waiter service If we look back at other posts on this subject people often ask how many actually do the tux cocktail dress thing and it’s usually less than fifty percent these days. Which would mean a half empty dining room whilst I am having to eat my dinner in the buffet that can’t be right can it?

Keep well😉

• Like 1

Ah the old suit/tux debate again. every years this rears its ugly head. apart from the last 2 years of course.

Personally I dress in smart Casual as its MY cruise and nobody tells me what to wear as for many years as an Engineering manager and having to wear a suit at work and travelled the world in a suit. why would I go on Holiday to wear a suit or Tux .

Its all down to personal choice and Marella now encourage the smart casual.

I thank you.

RR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brummijam said:

Hi Nancy. I pretty much agree with what you say regarding dress code in general but my point in my earlier post was in regard to the dress to impress night.

By choice I don’t want to wear a suit and also by choice I don’t want to eat my evening meal in the buffet restaurant. We all like to dine in a nice restaurant and to have a waiter service If we look back at other posts on this subject people often ask how many actually do the tux cocktail dress thing and it’s usually less than fifty percent these days. Which would mean a half empty dining room whilst I am having to eat my dinner in the buffet that can’t be right can it?

Keep well😉

Hi BJ. You will be fine in the MDR with smart casual. that is all I wear.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Hi RR. We eat in the MDR  every night, as you said earlier “ it’s my cruise “

Yes but it is also everyone else’s cruise as well, I am sorry but I don’t want to eating in the MDR in the evening sitting next to someone wearing shorts and a T-shirt if you want to dress like that use the restaurant that suits that style.That’s why they have different dress codes in each restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, markmichelle87 said:

Yes but it is also everyone else’s cruise as well, I am sorry but I don’t want to eating in the MDR in the evening sitting next to someone wearing shorts and a T-shirt if you want to dress like that use the restaurant that suits that style.That’s why they have different dress codes in each restaurant.

Apology accepted.

just tell me where in any of my posts have I said that I turn up to the MDR in  shorts and flip flops? This thread was about the dress to impress night and should people be compelled to wear a tux or suit or posh frocks.

Keep up mate.😉

38 minutes ago, markmichelle87 said:

Where have I said I am wearing shorts...get your facts right?? I said I dress Smart casual with Trousers and a shirt.

18 minutes ago, Brummijam said:
44 minutes ago, markmichelle87 said:

Apology accepted.

just tell me where in any of my posts have I said that I turn up to the MDR in  shorts and flip flops? This thread was about the dress to impress night and should people be compelled to wear a tux or suit or posh frocks.

Keep up mate.😉

++++

Edited by Rebel Rouser
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Keep well😉

Hi Brummijam,  you don't have to wear a suit. Smart trousers and a collard shirt is perfectly acceptable on Dress to Impress Night  Some men add a smart waistcoat. 

What I and many others object to is people turning up to what is meant to be a special evening wearing sports shorts and t shirts / vests. It has happened. 

Each cruise will differ in the number of guests in formal wear but most will take the opportunity to get suited and booted as per Marella guidance.

• Like 2

We have just done 2 weeks on Explorer (our first time on Marella but we have done around 25 cruises with other companies). We were extremely surprised at the dress codes followed in the evening and lots of people looked really smart. We never ate in the mdr, preferring the alternative restaurants instead but we would never eat evening meal in the buffet which was one of the worst eating experiences we have ever had on a ship. Overall though we really enjoyed the cruise. 

On 3/23/2022 at 12:49 PM, DiLC said:

Hi Brummijam get your facts correct, I did not say you dressed in shorts and a T-shirt but the person in the quote above had said some people have.

I am all for people dressing in what they feel comfortable in but if a restaurant has a dress code the person should  abide by it not complain that they should change it just to accommodate them as “it’s my cruise”

Apology accepted.

• Haha 1

my original post.

Your reply.

Yes but it is also everyone else’s cruise as well, I am sorry but I don’t want to eating in the MDR in the evening sitting next to someone wearing shorts and a T-shirt if   you   want to dress like that use the restaurant that suits that style.That’s why they have different dress codes in each restaurant.

When you put  You  in your post it is usually directed toward the person that you are replying to.

Regards 😉

Edited by Brummijam

My point was not that people should wear black tie etc but that I wouldn’t go into the mdr straight ftom sunbathing wearing what to me is beach wear and carrying beach towels and associated paraphernalia. This was what happened every night especially during our last week. I would like to see people smart and if one’s version is shirt and trousers that’s fine by me. If I want to dress up I will but I won’t go to mdr in shorts and skimpy top. That’s not a vision I’d subject anyone to!😂

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DiLC said:

My point was not that people should wear black tie etc but that I wouldn’t go into the mdr straight ftom sunbathing wearing what to me is beach wear and carrying beach towels and associated paraphernalia. This was what happened every night especially during our last week. I would like to see people smart and if one’s version is shirt and trousers that’s fine by me. If I want to dress up I will but I won’t go to mdr in shorts and skimpy top. That’s not a vision I’d subject anyone to!😂

And I agree 100% with you.

Keep well.😉

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, obiwan8472 said:

Cheers

Look at what you have started.😂😂😂😂

Keep well.😉