Dress to impress explorer

3 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Look at what you have started.😂😂😂😂

Keep well.😉

I know! I was in shock when i saw my post had so many replies. Didn't know it was such a debated topic.

Anyway, at least it answered my question 😄

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2022 at 8:20 PM, pennib said:

We have just done 2 weeks on Explorer (our first time on Marella but we have done around 25 cruises with other companies). We were extremely surprised at the dress codes followed in the evening and lots of people looked really smart. We never ate in the mdr, preferring the alternative restaurants instead but we would never eat evening meal in the buffet which was one of the worst eating experiences we have ever had on a ship. Overall though we really enjoyed the cruise. 

Slight change of subject (phew!) - in which ways was the buffet one of the worst you've experienced? I'm boarding shortly. Also, how busy was the ship and were there many children? Thanks. 

Last 2 weeks February. Food for us was fine. Ate mdr mostly. Only problem for us in buffet was the fact it wasn’t self service. That aside we thought it was good. Quicker in mornings to go for breakfast in buffet than mdr which we like but not good if off for an early start. Late night food good for diabetic husband. 
only a handful of children first week including my Ava and  Alex. Second week more but not excessive considering it was half term week. We had children with us so it wasn’t obvious to us but didn’t seem too bad. Others will have to judge. 
In general food was good in our opinion and sufficient. The sandwich bar on top deck was also good as was the burger bar. Queues moved quickly. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cardiff girl said:

Slight change of subject (phew!) - in which ways was the buffet one of the worst you've experienced? I'm boarding shortly. Also, how busy was the ship and were there many children? Thanks. 

I think Explorers buffet is excellent, especially if you are a salad person. I stopped counting when I reached 12 different types of cheese. This was her first season and the French executive chef had transferred from TUI. Contrast this with Explorer 2 which has a smaller buffet and poor salad selection. The Panini bar was good though. Both ships have several choices of free restaurants for casual eating other than the buffet

• Thanks 1

What was wrong with the buffet? Where do I start? We first went there on our first night on board as it was easy and we were tired. Having to wait ages for a very small portion of freshly cooked food didn’t help. The small portions continued especially with the soup when the waiters clearly thought half a bowl was Ok. Eggs at breakfast looked as if they had been fried the night before and were dried up. Coffee was delivered Luke warm at breakfast.  I could go on. This experience contrasted with our experience in the speciality restaurants for dinner which on the whole were excellent. The dining club in particular  was wonderful and we did the “pairing dinner” as well as items from the menu. Service was excellent in all. Of course you could always go to the mdr for breakfast where it is waiter served. 

• Thanks 1

I had no issues with the buffet last week. It's a shame you can't just help yourself at present but hopefully that will change in time. Was always asked if a portion was enough. 

In respect of kids, a handful of very little and a handful of school age, this will probably change as we get nearer easter. 

• Like 1

Hi.

How it works is you pick up a plate/dish/bowl walk along the buffet lines and there are servers positioned every couple of metres apart, you ask/tell them what you want and they put it onto your plate/dish and they always asked if you wanted more. There is a menu at the entrance that specifies what’s on offer that day. And with it being a buffet you can eat as much as you wish. In the evening what is on offer in the MDR is usually available in the buffet. For drinks there are servers who make your tea and serve coffee and also serve soft drinks and beer and wine.

This is from our experience on Ex2 last October.

if you look on YouTube lots of videos regarding dining options.

enjoy your trip😉

• Thanks 1