Can I bring this on H.A.L.?

MisterMatthew

I have something, pretty similar, to this.  It's smaller.  Allows for two USB plug-ins.  And, still allows an electrical item (one) to be used. 

Can this be brought on the ship?  Or, does it fall under the umbrella of "no power strips", etc, etc, etc.

61kz7TkI9mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's fine.  We always carry an extension cord that allows us to plug in 3 devices at its end.

Not sure why you said "no power strips".  The HAL FAQ explicitly allows power strips and multi-plug outlets (without surge protectors...not sure why that is):

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.health-safety.prohibited-items.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

Susie, okay.  Thank you.

I've got an inside cabin --- zuiderdam.

We spent the month of January, 2022 in an inside cabin on the Zuiderdam (Deck 7 aft starboard) and there were two USB ports at the desk.  I always bring a 10' extension cord with multiple outlets on the opposite end.  Another tip is to acquire a European style 220v USB charger so you have another usb source from an often unused outlet (there are 2 of them).

• Like 2

In my experience, non-corded adapters are not questioned.  If i looks like a power strip, it will be confiscated.  Here is an image from a HAL Safety briefing so if it looks similar to this, it will be confiscated:

HAL-Prohibited-Electrical-Adapters.jpg

If you think that HAL will have the Ship Engineer come and test your suspect power strip to verify that it does not have surge protection, they will not do so.  Your power strip will be confiscated and held until you disembark (Look for a table on the hallway to the terminal).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Btimmer said:

We spent the month of January, 2022 in an inside cabin on the Zuiderdam (Deck 7 aft starboard) and there were two USB ports at the desk.  I always bring a 10' extension cord with multiple outlets on the opposite end.  Another tip is to acquire a European style 220v USB charger so you have another usb source from an often unused outlet (there are 2 of them).

I pack a 10-foot USB cord to bring USB power to my nightstand if necessary.  Since most USB devices are 110/220V, I bring multi-outlet European adapters to take advantage of the 220V outlets to save the 110V outlets for those devices that are not variable. You can also purchase multi-port USB adapters for a laptop that can charge more devices.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Magellens has nifty looking travel "power bar" - anyone have experience with this one?

However,  the "over-voltage" power protection sounds like another way of saying indeed it has the forbidden surge protector.

https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=118,3732&T1=MC8319#pr-reviewdisplay1

Edited by OlsSalt

On 3/24/2022 at 2:32 AM, Crew News said:

In my experience, non-corded adapters are not questioned.  If i looks like a power strip, it will be confiscated.  Here is an image from a HAL Safety briefing so if it looks similar to this, it will be confiscated:

HAL-Prohibited-Electrical-Adapters.jpg

If you think that HAL will have the Ship Engineer come and test your suspect power strip to verify that it does not have surge protection, they will not do so.  Your power strip will be confiscated and held until you disembark (Look for a table on the hallway to the terminal).

From the HAL prohibited items FAQ link provided above, power strips, multi-plug box outlets/adapters and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed unless determined to pose a hazard.  Under that guidance, it appears the original poster's power block would be permitted.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, OlsSalt said:

However,  the "over-voltage" power protection sounds like another way of saying indeed it has the forbidden surge protector.

https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=118,3732&T1=MC8319#pr-reviewdisplay1

Over Voltage is another way of stating "Surge Protector".

Ship Power systems are not designed the same ways as land systems. Surge Protectors can cause problems to the ship and/or the Surge Protector Device. 

Do NOT use it on the ship.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the HAL FAQs

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.health-safety.prohibited-items.html

I see the following:

• Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers, *electric extension cords with surge protectors."
  • *    Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be confiscated.
Edited by RGEDad
Added Second item from FAQ list