Advice Requested: 4 1/2 days for post cruise (with kids)

xavier2005

I would appreciate any advice you can offer! We have 2 kids ages 11 and 5. Our cruise (Radiance) ends in Seward on June 3. Our flight leaves at 2:00 am from Anchorage on June 8th, which leaves us about 4 1/2 days.

Some of the options we are considering:

1) We were thinking of taking the train to Anchorage leaving at 6:30pm, but don't know whether to spend the night in Seward or take the train on the day we arrive. (by the way, what do we do with our luggage while touring around Seward prior to taking the train?)

2) Once we arrive in Anchorage, we will likely need a hotel for the night and begin the next day. That leaves either 2 or 3 nights for Denali depending on whether we stay in Seward. We originally wanted to rent an RV/Motor Home for 3 or 4 days but are not sure if it is a good idea due to our 2am flight coupled with required return hours for the RV agencies. If we rented a car, we could return at airport just prior to flight.

I've tried to estimate the expenses of RV vs. Rental Car and Hotels, including gas mileage and it seems to be very close. So, the decision is based mostly on what would be the better experience given the constraints of our schedule.

3) If we spend a night in Seward (leaving only 2 nights for Denali), do you recommend spending one night in Talkeetna or driving further into Denali to spend both nights?

Thanks!

We have two kids, ages 9 and 5 and are going in July. We have been twice to Alaska without kids and not on a cruise. We still are finalizing plans for our post cruise and aren't the experts but here are a few thoughts/ personal opinions:

1. Go to Denali. Don't miss it. I would highly recommend one of the bus rides partly or fully into the park (we are going the entire way but there seems to be some debate on that point on the boards. We camped at Wonder Lake so have a soft spot for the end of the road). You might consider the rafting, seeing the sled dogs, or even flightseeing from Talkeetna. I wouldn't stay at Talkeetna personally-- stay nearer the park entrance. There are a variety of options. We are staying at the Denali Cabins. Eat pancakes at the Alaska Salmon Bake restaurant and pizza at the Lynx Creek pizza, assuming they haven't changed.

2. I would go with car/minivan rather than the RV just because the short time and odd hours makes the RV seem like more of a hassle but either would be good.

3. We liked Seward but we camped and took a 1/2 day glacier cruise so you might view that as repetitive. We hiked the Harding Ice Field trail, which was awesome but may be too much for your kids (3,000 ft elevation in 3 miles if I remember right). In your shoes we probably would head straight up to Anchorage rather than spending the day in Seward.

4. Crow Creek Mine near Girdwood could make a nice stop for kids if they want to do panning for gold (rent in Seward or drive back down from Anchorage).

5. Sunset over the Cook Inlet near downtown Anchorage.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

One way to go might be to head out toward Denali the first day stopping in Wasilla to see dogs, If you rent a car you have the option of stopping wherever you want depending on the kid’s mood. Bring a book on tape that will interest them as it’s a long drive. Maybe the next day go on a shuttle if the kids can deal with that (Max distance fish creek). Another option is a river rafting trip and a visit to the sled dogs at Denali Park. Maybe have dinner show at Denali and stay a second night. The next day head back toward anchorage. Maybe go to a museum or stop for a hike if your kids like that. You could drive to Seward the next morning hike at exit glacier catch a late boat tour at 3pm. Maybe see the sled dogs in Seward if that interests the kids or go to the Sea life Center stay night in Seward then work your way back to airport the next day.

Only my suggestion. THINK CAREFULLY about taking a 5 year old into Denali Park, if you do, have twice the amount of games, portable DVD, batteries that you think you will need- with headphones. It really isn't much interest for that young of a child, Wildlife is frequently way off and binoculars are necessary. Think factually about your child- are they content to be quiet and inactive for long periods?? This isn't the place for disruptions since there essentially is no way out, except to be dropped off on the side of the road. Rest stops are every 1 1/2 hours but you if you want more than 10 minutes, you will be on another bus, taking left over seats that may not be together. I hate to sound negative, but this is my experience of many many trips in. Adults are blown away by the scenery- which is the bulk of this trip, kids couldn't care less. :(

As for Seward, an overnight is a great option allowing plenty of time for sightseeing. If you are taking a Kenai fjords boat trip, they will store your luggage, if taking the train the same day, drop off the bags in the am at the depot- but you keep anything you may need.

You can be off the ship very early, you just walk off. Cabs are lined up if needed for bag drop off at your hotel.

There is no savings for an RV, but with kids a far better option than a car, Ready bathrooms, food and rest if needed. :) What I did, with my am RV return was to rent a car for the day, prior to leaving, expecially if the RV office is near the airport, just pick up a car for the day and have some more touring. :)

I do not recommmend backtracking to Seward like the above post??? See Seward when you are there, then continue with your other plans, there is no sense in rushing out of Seward to Denali Park, only to return?? Your time is short as it is.

Thanks for the advice!

Budget Queen - I'm amazed at how much you help people on this board. Very generous of you!!!

We have made some progress on our plans. (we have from June 3rd until June 8th at 2am). We plan to spend one night in Seward following the cruise (probably at Holiday Inn Express). Then, rather than take the 6pm train, we are going to rent a car (one way) to get an earlier start. We will exchange the car in Anchorage for yet another car (due to the price - cars are only 30/day vs 100/day from seward) and drive all the way to Denali in one day (long day, I know...). But, I found a buy one night get one free at the McKinley Village Lodge that expires on June 5th, so we are planning to spend the next two nights there. That just leaves one night (June 6th) to plan. Of course, we still need to plan what we will do once we get there...

Archived