Warwick news/rumor

Winchester

Hi Jeanne,

Could you write more of your knowledge of this from your trip?

I, like everyone else, am very saddened that a great career has ended like this. The corporate world has definitely changed for the worse. There is no loyalty anymore no matter how good an employe you have been. I will miss Commordore Warwick, Kim, and Sam. I hope I run into them again someday. They really helped us and made our journeys on QE2 a pleasure.

Cunard will never be again what we came to love it for. But, it is still better that the rest (in MHO for what I can afford to cruise on). I just hope that Captain Wright has a better fate ahead of him. What he did on that 10 day Caribbean cruise in 2004 for us was a bonanza for Cunard. He knows how to treat people right! Here's hoping he returns to QM2.

Here's a hearty farewell and God Bless to Commordore Warwick. May he remember all the good times and great people that love and respect him for the rest of his days.

Ed

Cunard's UK Press Officer has this morning confirmed that Cdr. Warwick is in command of the QM2 until tomorrow, March 8th, when he goes on leave. After his leave he will return to the QM2 and remain in command until his official retirement in July. That's the official line - hope it clarifies the matter.

Cunard's UK Press Officer has this morning confirmed that Cdr. Warwick is in command of the QM2 until tomorrow, March 8th, when he goes on leave. After his leave he will return to the QM2 and remain in command until his official retirement in July. That's the official line - hope it clarifies the matter.

And we know that Cunard has never spoken out of both sides of their mouths or continued to insist everything was status quo even as they were cancelling ports and voyages.

Karie,

Who somehow no longer trusts what comes out of Cunard PR

Jake,

Thank you for the information. As Karie says the Cunard PR people have sometimes been a bit clueless - but this does sound reasonably definite. Perhaps all those posting that he has been forced out would now like to name their source....so we may judge the relative reliability of each......

Peter

Who still remembers the SHOCK!!! and OUTRAGE!!!! at the entirely untrue story that Nick Bates had 'quit in disgust'.......

Cunard's UK Press Officer has this morning confirmed that Cdr. Warwick is in command of the QM2 until tomorrow, March 8th, when he goes on leave.

hmmm....

Well, what I know for sure is that the Commodore was not in command of QM2 when she arrived in Los Angeles, he was not in command for the 3-nighter, and he is not in command now, on the Hawaii cruise.

Although the Commodore is on board, Captain Bernard Warner has been, is, in command.

Could Cunard be using the term "command" loosely? That is, as Warwick is the Commodore, and he is on board, he would be considered to be "in command", for the purposes of press releases?

stowaway2k is correct.

I was onboard the QM2 on the 3 day west coast sampler Feb. 22 and was told the whole story about him being forced to an "early retirement" by a QM2 employee working on the ship! I spoke of this in earlier posts.

I would believe the employee working on the ship over the press on the other side of the world anyday.

was told the whole story about him being forced to an "early retirement" by a QM2 employee working on the ship!

I would believe the employee working on the ship over the press on the other side of the world anyday.

crispycritter,

I'm sure the employee told you what they believed to be true....although the fact is that Ron Warwick is already in delayed retirement because of the QM2 - he stayed on for her inauguration, delaying his retirement.

Unfortunately I have previously read on this board 'absolute facts as reported by crew members' which have simply been untrue.....Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance.......

Peter

Re: Shipboard rumours.

I was on a Celebrity cruise over Christmas. Two people missed the sailing from Panama and were brought out on the pilot boat, to cheers from the assembled crowd on the rails.

But, later on, a rumour spread round the ship that four passengers had missed the ship and had had to make their own way to Costa Rica. This "fact" was repeated to me many times by other passengers, and indeed, crew members.

When I subsequently spoke to the Hotel Manager, she assured me that no-one had been left behind on the voyage, but that one couple nearly missed the ship as described above!

From what I've read here it seems an awful lot of Brits are fans of QM2 and sail her frequently. I don't remember reading that any of them consider her a parody of "British culture". The world is evolving and perceptions changing...as my son tells me, "deal with it"...not bad advice.

Perhaps Charles and Camilla are fans of Sex and the City and asked to meet them. I would imagine that any guest list is previewed for suitability prior to an event. And no....I didn't think it was tasteless...they are all good actresses aside from their success with that show. It might be helpful to lighten up a bit here......and what's this got to do with this thread topic anyway???? Penny

OK, in the light of world events, etc., perhaps what happens to a cruise ship company is not all that serious. It's all about perspective, and perception, which can vary, as life is complicated.

However, I don't think Charles and Camilla would likely be fans of "Sex and the City", realistically speaking.

Despite everything, I will travel on QM2 again, although not for many months unfortunately.

So many people on this thread are expressing "outrage" at the "despicable" treatment that Commodore Warwick is being subjected to by Cunard, while, in doing so, are in fact repeating, encouraging and spreading rumors and gossip about his sacking, which all legitimate information and records indicate has not happened at all.

What is clear is that the Commodore has performing public functions in Hawaii as the master of the ship as recently as a couple of days ago, is on board the ship, and the company he works for is publicly stating that he is still in command and will not retire until July. That's probably the truth...and even if his responsibilities have been curtailed after the Fort Lauderdale incident, they are certainly doing or saying nothing to publicly embarass the man.

The only sources of rumors besmirching his fine reputation are to be found in the mouths of gossiping crew members and passenger, and on Internet message boards.

Who knows...perhaps for a variety of reasons the Commodore has been relieved and Captain Warner is filling in on board. What's obvious is that neither Cunard nor Carnival have any intention of publicly humilating him. And why should they bother, when there are so many people who, under the guise of real or feigned outrage, are willing to handle that job themselves by repeating rumors of his forced retirement that are clearly either untrue or at best wholy mischaracterized.

All those who are so outraged that their beloved Commodore is being treated so poorly would do best to stop spreading rumour and chatter, and let the man's public actions and his company's public statements speak for themselves.

The only sources of rumors besmirching his fine reputation are to be found in the mouths of gossiping crew members and passenger, and on Internet message boards. All those who are so outraged that their beloved Commodore is being treated so poorly would do best to stop spreading rumour and chatter, and let the man's public actions and his company's public statements speak for themselves.

Well said!

Peter

As the original poster on this line I disagree with the previous couple of messages. What is the purpose of this site anyway? It is here for discussion of ocean liner/cruise ship related topics.

In this case, Cunard has made a change of great magnitude and it is appropriate for our fellow members to be in the loop and to provide comment. Some of the comments will move the story along and others will head off in other directions or just add fluff. But information & comment are the important elements of what we bother to read these things for. And I feel it is our individual job to cut through the fluff and keep up with what is going on.

Well, according to this morning's press releases at the Seatrade Insider website, the retirement plans are official. He will retire in July; but his onboard status is questionable. It does not sound like he will be in command until then. It's certainly open for interpretation & speculation.......

http://www.cruise-community.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=9137

Cunard are hardly likely to issue a press release stating that they have sacked him, so this is of little interest in this discussion. Presumably the result of the inquiry in to the accident will be available some time then things will be a little clearer.

David.

Fact: Commodore Warwick has not been in command of the QM2 since he left the ship in Valparaiso for the inquiry re: the pod incident.

Fact: Cunard's announcement regarding the Commodore's retirement does not indicate that he will resume command at any future time, simply that he and his wife "willl be sailing" aboard the QM2 in June and July.

I am surprised that no one has speculated about this....but, I do have it on good authority that it was not Cunard, but rather Cunard's insurance carrier, who called the shots regarding the Commodore's being relieved of command. I also understand that there are some legitimate questions regarding the decision-making involved in the pod incident. Hopefully, the results of the inquiry will eventually see the light of day and will answer those questions for the record.

Fact: Commodore Warwick has not been in command of the QM2 since he left the ship in Valparaiso for the inquiry re: the pod incident.

Fact: Cunard's announcement regarding the Commodore's retirement does not indicate that he will resume command at any future time, simply that he and his wife "willl be sailing" aboard the QM2 in June and July.

I am surprised that no one has speculated about this....but, I do have it on good authority that it was not Cunard, but rather Cunard's insurance carrier, who called the shots regarding the Commodore's being relieved of command. I also understand that there are some legitimate questions regarding the decision-making involved in the pod incident. Hopefully, the results of the inquiry will eventually see the light of day and will answer those questions for the record.

Well, I guess the insurance company ought to have individuals in Fleet Ops sacked . They call the shots as to whether it is go.. or no go. Ships hit things all the time.... piers.. pilings.....heck.. even other ships.. and those are things which are visible!

Found this post and must throw in my two cents:

1) Having talked with captains who have sailed Port Everglades, there is a very difficult turn at the end of the channel. It's very possible QM2 (with azipods) did hit the end of the channel. I'm told its a tough enough maneuver with regular props.

2) Last time I spoke to him, the pres of Princess sounds veddy veddy British to me. American corporate rules?

3) Had it not been for Carnival (and believe me, I make no apolgises for them), there would not have been a QM2.

So before we kill everyone, let's see what really happened.

I've never sailed with Commodore Warwick, but I've read his book about QE2. Have much respect for the man. But to put Americans, Carnival and a ``hidden thing in the channel'' up for sacrfice seems a bit premature.

I'm told its a tough enough maneuver with regular props.

If all the Azipod and Mermaid marketing materials are to believed, surely it should be easier with pods, not harder?

the pres of Princess sounds veddy veddy British to me.

I'm not sure if Princess President Alan Buckelew is British, but he has nothing to do with Cunard anyway (that I know of) so that is neither here nor there.

On the other hand, P&O Princess CEO Peter Ratcliffe is definitely British, and so is Cunard President Carol Marlow. And for that matter, so was previous Cunard President Pam Conover.

(For those a little confused here about the organisational stuff, Carol Marlow, President of Cunard, reports to Peter Ratcliffe, CEO of P&O Princess, who reports to Micky Arison, CEO of Carnival Corporation and plc.)

So yes, all this business about "American" this and "American" that is rather amusing - the arrogant Americans ruining Cunard and all that!

I guess one needs someone convenient to blame and in this case "the Americans" are an easy choice...

Doug,

As one captain explained it to me, the azipods stick out more as opposed to fixed props. So while the ship is more maneuverable, if you turn the pod a certain way, it could easily hit that tight channel. Soething they must consider when turning in tight spots.

As yes, I meant the Princess CEO, who is indeed, British.

Archived