Mumbai Twenty20 Cricket

WisRiver

We are going to be in Mumbai for two nights in May, 2023 on a Viking Ocean cruise.  I would like to see an Indian Premier League Twenty20 cricket match.  I know there are at least two IPL teams in Mumbai and two cricket grounds.  Can anyone give me some help or insight into obtaining tickets?

I can't help with fixing tickets in Mumbai, but as an Englishman I can help you to understand the game of cricket, which for some reason many Americans struggle to understand.

Two players from the side that's in go out, together with the entire side that's not in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

The side that's in has to score as many runs as possible, and the side that's out has to get out the side that's in. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out. When one of the side that's in is given out  by the umpires, he has to go in and a replacement goes out to go in and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

In a Twenty20 match, each side faces 20 overs. An over is six balls - when the over is over there's another over and so on until they've faced all 20 overs or all of the side that's in are out. 

Then they all stop for a nice cup of tea.

Next the side that's out comes in and the side that was in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. 

When both sides have been in and they're all out or they've survived the 20 overs, the side that scored the most runs is declared the winner and the side that lost has to buy the cakes.

You're welcome 😉

JB 🙂

Explaining cricket to the uninitiated is like explaining baseball to an Englishman.  The understanding of the infield fly rule is like knowing why someone is out LBW. 

Unlike most Americans I have watched live cricket (county) and even swung a cricket bat a couple of times.    County cricket was slow and relaxed except for brief moments of excitement.  I am interested in the IPL because of its made for TV rules, 3 hour matches and what appears to be loud, raucous crowds.  

1 hour ago, WisRiver said:

Explaining cricket to the uninitiated is like explaining baseball to an Englishman.  The understanding of the infield fly rule is like knowing why someone is out LBW. 

Unlike most Americans I have watched live cricket (county) and even swung a cricket bat a couple of times.    County cricket was slow and relaxed except for brief moments of excitement.  I am interested in the IPL because of its made for TV rules, 3 hour matches and what appears to be loud, raucous crowds.  

They even get loud & raucous at English county Twenty20 mastches.

Unheard of in decades gone by 😏

JB 🙂