Wine Tasting on Princess Dawn

toescat

Last year when I was on Diamond there were two wine tasting events. The first one on the second day at sea and the cost was $7.00 per person. The second wine tasting event was the last day at sea and the cost was $25.00 per person and it had food parings and very very fine wines. I'am hoping to do this again on my upcoming cruise in April. So do any Dawn passengers that took the 10 day from San Francisco to Mexico know if they had wine tasting events.

Thank you, I know you were on that cruise as I read you live reviews each day. They were great and much appreciated. We really love the wine tasting last year this year we are bringing our close friends who are brand new to cruising but are wine enthusiast like us.

We did the $25.00 tasting on the CB earlier this year. The wines were fine, the food pairings just ok. The talk that went on and on and on as well as the pressure to buy their fine wine package not good. We had a great table of people so all in all we made our own fun!

We were on Dawn Princess Feb. 08-18 2006. Yes, there were two wine tastings offered. First was, I believe, about $9.00 per person and second about $25.00 per person. Big push early on to sell tickets. We planned to go to the second, but there was a conflict with something else we wanted to do. In the end we opted to just spend the money on a Princess menu cook book instead for $28.00.

I have done both wine tastings, first the less expensive one while on the Star and second the Maitre'D wine tasting while on the Coral. I enjoyed both for what they were. The less expensive one allows you to try a few of their wines so that you can decide what you might want to order with dinner and for that reason I thought it was a good thing to do. I don't know about now, but at that time the cost of the tasting was then taken off the cost of a bottle of wine that was latter ordered from the dining room (or it may have been $5 was taken off the cost of the wine from a $7 tasting). The Maitre'D wine tasting was more expensive wine paired with finger foods. I actually thought that the food provided with the wines were very nice and that the wine was also quite good. This tasting allowed us to try more expensive wines that I hadn't had before and be a little entertained by the head waiters and Maitre'D. Overall it wasn't a serious wine tasting like something you'd get on land. It was an enjoyable thing to do though.

WOW, I must have enjoyed the wine to much to notice a push of selling wine because I don't remember that. They did do a lot of talking but it was about the history of the wine we were tasting. Very enjoyable. Living in California we have access to many many many wineries. We have taken a few wine tours and thats what the tour guide does, is talk. The food pairing was not expected to be a meal but a bite of flavor to further enhance the wine or bring out other flavors of the wine.

WOW, I must have enjoyed the wine to much to notice a push of selling wine because I don't remember that. They did do a lot of talking but it was about the history of the wine we were tasting. Very enjoyable. Living in California we have access to many many many wineries. We have taken a few wine tours and thats what the tour guide does, is talk. The food pairing was not expected to be a meal but a bite of flavor to further enhance the wine or bring out other flavors of the wine.

Agree.. No high pressure sales pitch in any Princess wine tasting I attended. And as you, we live close to some excellent California wineries and usually frequent them 3-4 times a year..

Archived