Naples Private Excursion For 8 - Tour Operators?

martyap

Doing some research for my daughter and another family for mid July. They are interested in touring the Amalfi Coast…Amalfi, Ravello and Positano…….with a little extra time browsing in Sorrento and a DIY quick lunch. They do not want to visit Pompeii or have the tour operator’s pre planned restaurant for lunch…..usually great views but so so food. They also want to end and visit a pizza shop or two in Naples before returning to the ship. They are in port 11 hours so I guess 8 for the tour would work. I just emailed Rome Cabs and Limo in Rome…..any others? Thanks

It's a good idea to approach the Amalfi Coast from the eastern end, in Vietri sul Mare, in the morning rather than try and drive the always congested road out along the Sorrentine peninsula.  

They might consider having the driver leave them in Sorrento and taking a ferry back to Naples.  This will save them time 40 minutes vs. over an hour on the road, more if there's traffic.

On a normal day I would expect it to take an hour to get from the cruise port to Vietri Sul Mare.  From there to Amalfi is another hour, then thirty minutes from Amalfi up to Ravello.

From Amalfi to Positano is 45 minutes to an hour, and from Positano to Sorrento is 45 minutes to an hour.

In all that's about four or five (if there's traffic) hours in the car, leaving them about three to four hours for stops if they're limited to eight hours.  If that's the case they would have to take the ferry back, if they need to be driven back to Naples they need either more time or fewer stops.

The normal shore excursion from Naples > Pompeii > Amalfi Coast lists for 10 hours. I’m figuring that already accounts for 2 or 2.5 hours for Pompeii and their lunch stop. I have done the tour both with and without Pompeii and yes lots of time in the car, lots of traffic and it’s July. Have to discuss this with the kids. Thanks

5 hours ago, martyap said:

Doing some research for my daughter and another family for mid July. They are interested in touring the Amalfi Coast…Amalfi, Ravello and Positano…….with a little extra time browsing in Sorrento and a DIY quick lunch. They do not want to visit Pompeii or have the tour operator’s pre planned restaurant for lunch…..usually great views but so so food. They also want to end and visit a pizza shop or two in Naples before returning to the ship. They are in port 11 hours so I guess 8 for the tour would work. I just emailed Rome Cabs and Limo in Rome…..any others? Thanks

Try Italy tours.eu, I have found only very positive reviews

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed our ship doesn't arrive in Naples until 12pm and departs at 9pm.  We were planning an 8 hr excursion to do Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano with private tour. Does this seem viable starting at 12pm - 8pm as I assume sun will be setting earlier?

26 minutes ago, lisaatric said:

Our hours in port in October are only 12-7!  Not a lot of time.  There’s so much I’d like to see!

That seems like an extraordinarily tight time for Naples, where many cruises have 12 hour days (some even longer) -- what cruise line are you on?

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That seems like an extraordinarily tight time for Naples, where many cruises have 12 hour days (some even longer) -- what cruise line are you on?

I was incorrect. 12-9 like the previous poster. Viking. Still not enough time!!!

5 hours ago, Pegct said:

I just noticed our ship doesn't arrive in Naples until 12pm and departs at 9pm.  We were planning an 8 hr excursion to do Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano with private tour. Does this seem viable starting at 12pm - 8pm as I assume sun will be setting earlier?

My cruise (Viking) has the same port hours.  I wanted to hike Vesuvius and go to Pompeii.  Since the sun sets @6:40 that evening (10/4), I decided it wasn’t enough time. Also, all the tours start in the AM. 

On 3/30/2022 at 2:58 PM, martyap said:

I have utilized Rome in Limo on a couple of cruises and for pre-cruise touring in Rome.  They were quite flexible in terms of organizing the stops we wanted (rather than a rigid itinerary).  Our driver discussed our interests and helped choose the perfect places for lunch.  We found the company very pleasant to work with.  

9 hours ago, lisaatric said:

My cruise (Viking) has the same port hours.  I wanted to hike Vesuvius and go to Pompeii.  Since the sun sets @6:40 that evening (10/4), I decided it wasn’t enough time. Also, all the tours start in the AM. 

The time of sunset is less important in this case than the opening hours.   In October Pompei closes at 17:00 (5 PM) and the Grand Cone trail at Vesuvio closes at 16:00 (4 PM).

You'd be able to do one of them on your own, easily, but not both.

Il Gran Cono del Vesuvio | Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio

Timetables and tickets - Pompeii Sites

13 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The time of sunset is less important in this case than the opening hours.   In October Pompei closes at 17:00 (5 PM) and the Grand Cone trail at Vesuvio closes at 16:00 (4 PM).

You'd be able to do one of them on your own, easily, but not both.

Il Gran Cono del Vesuvio | Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio

Timetables and tickets - Pompeii Sites

Thank you!