Private tour guide and hotel stay for overnight stop in Honolulu

sloopsailor

Our March 2023 Hawaii cruise itinerary got changed to an overnight in Honolulu, arriving at 7:00 am on day one and departing at 11:00 pm on day two. We are now considering hiring a private tour guide for the two days, and also staying overnight in a nice resort hotel on a beach, preferably one with a top notch luau as part of the fun. We've done this before in Bangkok, Hanoi and Rome - but without the beach or luau, of course! 😃

Does anyone have recommendations for tour guides and resort hotels?

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by sloopsailor

2 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

We are now considering hiring a private tour guide for the two days, and also staying overnight in a nice resort hotel on a beach, preferably one with a top notch luau as part of the fun

None of the top hotels on Waikiki have a regular, every night luau like you see at resorts on Maui etc. Some of the top hotels on the beach in descending order are the Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian, and Moana Surfrider. You have some other off beach options like the Ritz-Carlton Residences or Trump-- neither are as much fun as their on beach counterparts. 

The Royal Hawaiian luau is only on Mondays and Thursdays for example. There are other luaus you can go to, but they are not part of a hotel on the beach. The Hilton Hawaiian Village has a regular one but wouldn't be my choice in hotel to come ashore for. The Nutridge and Polynesian Cultural Center ones are nice but a considerable drive from Waikiki. 

• Like 1

Halekulani is where I stay the most, a suite at the Kaimana Beach Hotel is my first back-up, Royal Hawaiian is my second, followed by the Moana Surfrider, Hyatt Regency and Waikiki Marriott (front tower only). When I have to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (business conferences) I stay in the Ali'i Tower first, then the Rainbow Tower.

For a private guide, look at Charley's Taxi.

Skip the luau at a hotel.