Amalfi Coast - Plan B

martyap

Amalfi Coast - Pan B

Thank you for enlightening me about the logistics of a private car tour on a Saturday in July. Your responses to my previous post certainly gave me lots to think about. Lots of time sitting in traffic….limited time enjoying the towns.

One option would be to keep the private car tour but limit our stops to let’s say…..Amalfi and Sorrento. Paying for the excursion and interspersing DIY ferry transfers makes no sense? Any thought on the feasibility of this?

Another option is to forget about visiting the Amalfi coast and spending time in Naples. I located a very well reviewed walking tour company that could offer a private two hour walking tour or two separate walking tour itineraries with lunch in between. Starting point a short distance from the pier. Prices were very fair.

interested in your thoughts

thanks

If I were to pick two towns, Sorrento would not be one of them. Positano would definitely be included then either Ravello or Amalfi depending on what logistics work better. At any of these places they can stay a bit longer and find a place for lunch.

Naples can be fun but it is a totally different experience to the Amalfi Coast. Big, historic somewhat gritty city as opposed to iconic images of cliffside houses, lemon groves, tumbling seas. 

I'm not dissing one or the other (in fact my preference would be Naples) but it's just a bit of a radical change from the original plan -- are the people you are planning for okay with that?

Edited to add:  Have they considered just going to Capri for the day?  Easy to get around on your own, less time in car and somewhat similar in feel to the Amalfi Coast. (At least more so than Naples....)

Edited by cruisemom42

Also, keep in mind that this is July - it's hard to explain how beastly hot it will be.  Walking around in the city, a place I love by the way, probably wouldn't be at the top of my list.

I'm not sure I agree that it doesn't make sense to mix and match regarding transportation.  Yes, you'd be paying for a half hour or so of time that you won't actually use at the end of the day, but you'll spend less time sitting in the car.  I would keep the driver on hold while you are in Sorrento to have him drive you to the dock for the ferry, no point in spending additional money to get down there.

It comes down to what you want to see and do but when you start feeling uncomfortable about paying for a car you're not 100% using, keep in mind that money isn't your only precious commodity, your limited vacation time is something that can't usually be extended, and certainly not on a port day.  In this situation you might tip the scales a tad bit more toward time than money.