Taxi Rates In Beijing

Crown Prince

Perhaps someone can help me with planning my pre-cruise tour of Beijing-Xi'an. :confused:

In answer to my query, a Certificated Beijing Guide sent this e-mail to me:

"The driver cost is $110 per day in the town and $140 out of town as far as I know." :rolleyes:

This seems high to me. I thought that taxis in China are cheap. Perhaps she is adding on a fee for herself, because her daily rate seems quite reasonable. By out of town, she is referring to trip to the Great Wall.

What have you paid?

Thanks for your help. I may just take the $25 group tour. :mad:

Cabs in town were inexpensive we took a cab from our hotel to a restuarnat about 1/2 hour ride(and about 10 minutes waiting while they trooped the colors from Tiananemem square). It was $5 US...The great wall they will take you to is probably Bandaling...about 1 hour drive.....

I was preparing to make my currency exchanges this week for our 3/16 trip on the Nautica. Probably a silly question, but you mentioned the cab ride that was $5--are you meaning you paid in our dollar or was that the equivalent in their Yuan? Thanks.

In October 2005, I hired a car and driver in front of the Beijing Hotel to take us to the Great Wall. Cost $100.00 (I paid in US dollars). He was with us for the entire day and not only took us to the Great Wall, but took us riding around Beijing. He showed us lots of things I was interested in (not touristy stuff-more like new highrises, industrial areas, etc).

This was not arranged in advance, just asked the Valet Parking guy at the hotel if he could help me. The Valet Parking guy was a big help, as he asked what I wanted to do and then told the driver. The driver did not speak much English, but we got to go when and where we wanted to.

Airport to hotel was $35.00 with meet and greet. I did NOT find Beijing to be cheap in the least. Other than shopping (and all the knock off stuff), American food (Outback), taxis and hotels were almost as expensive as NYC. We paid $200.00 per night for an executive room with breakfast. This price was based on a three night package. Outback was $70.00 for steaks, drinks and tip.

I really couldn't figure it out. We spent a month in South East Asia in October/November 2005. You hear how the people are paid so little and the standard of living is so low. But all over, the hotel rooms, food in hotels, etc. was almost as expensive as the US. And certainly more expensive than South America, which has a better standard of living.

Now if you want to do backpacker hostels and eat "street food", it is darn cheap. But at my age, I can't imagine sharing a dorm room with 5-6 20 yo's. LOL

I was preparing to make my currency exchanges this week for our 3/16 trip on the Nautica. Probably a silly question, but you mentioned the cab ride that was $5--are you meaning you paid in our dollar or was that the equivalent in their Yuan? Thanks.

I paid in Yuan, which I had gotten from an ATM. I didn't find NY prices at all. One night we left the tour(the same night we took the cabs) and my wife had found the list of the 10 best resturants in Beijing. We asked the tour guide about number two...and he said its very expensive but very good. I asked him what he meant by very expensive and he said $20.00 each. We laughed went there any way and had an absolutely great meal 4-5 courses beer desert etc....it wasn't 20.00 each, it was $20.00 for the two of us...this was two years ago.

I have found "foreign" restuarants like outback, starbucks etc are the most expensive in Beijing. The government has closed Silk Alley and the prices are up...but $100.00 for a full day of touring is not THAT expensive...

one more point the value of the Yuan is up and the government says they will allow it to float. When they do the Yuan will increase and the dollar...

smeyer: what restaurant was the #2 best in beijing?

Unfortunately, I don't remember. I'll see if I can find the bill(we kept it). The first one is on an island in a lake and is very old china...some of our group was going there they had a great time they had made reservations about a year before, we could have gone without much problem but felt we should leave their rest to them...

here is a listing from Frommers

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/beijing/0201010028.html

note that it also says that a good dinner at an upscale Beijing rest should be between 10-20USD per person...

We went to China/Xi'an in October 2005. I found the hotels/transportation costs to be incredible bargains. We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel (Courtyard Marriott) for 81 RMB (71 meter + 10 rmb toll). The ride was a little less than an hour and cost a bit less than $10.00US. From our hotel we took a taxi to the new Pearl market and the cost was 10 RMB (that is the point where most taxis' fare start in Beijing. The meter never moved as we made it to the market--cost @$1.25) To get to the Great Wall and Ming Tombs, we took the subway (.37) and a tour bus (3.70). It was an all day experience which was exhausting.

In Xi'an, we took a bus from the airport to the city center (bell tower) for 25 RMB (@$3.10). From there we took taxi to our hotel (the Hyatt). The taxi fare was 12 RMB--that's where the meters start in Xi'an. It didn't move as we went a few miles to our hotel. We took a taxi from the hotel to the Tang Dynasty Dinner for less than $2.00. And we rented a taxi for the day from our hotel to take us to the Warriors for $25US. The ride to the warriors was approximately 1.5 hours, the taxi waited for us for approximately 3 hours and then drove us back 1.5 hours to the hotel. The taxi ride from our hotel to the airport was 150 RMB (@$18.75).

The cost in China is going up, but $140 seems (to me) outrageous for an all day taxi fare. One thing for certain is that the folks will charge as much as you are willing to pay. Unfortunately, (especially for folks who like to plan ahead) it cost much more to nail down things before your arrival in China.

Have fun!

Archived