A question about Le Ciotet

frantic36

@edinburgher I saw on your answer about Toulon you mention you have stayed at Le Ciotet multiple times. We will be having a port stop there in early August. Our thought was to explore the town a little, have some beach time and a good lunch. Could you make some recommendations near the port? Our ship Seabourn Sojourn is only max 450pax but I am sure we will be tendered in.

Any suggestions for Sanary-sur-Mer or Cavalaire-su-Mer? Because we have a few big private tours booked for other places and these towns look so pretty we thought just staying in these towns would be a nice option. Your thoughts?

My goodness.  A cruise ship call will certainly attract attention as I do not recall any previous mention of one. la Ciotat used to be all about shipbuilding until that collapsed and the yards lay derelict for many years.  the town fell into a slight decline during that period, but more recently (maybe 20 plus years ago!) the local council decided to promoter tourism instead, and made many improvements to promenade, beaches etc. and it worked.  It became more and more popular with tourists, many of them international.  And even more recently, the abandoned shipyards were reinvented as facilities to maintain and repair superyachts as they were big enough and deep enough to accommodate these mega yachts.  That initiative also brought in a skilled workforce.  Townsfolk are used to seeing mega yachts there, but I expect a cruise ship will draw crowds of sightseeers. The French Govt (or their Customs Division) recently seized a superyacht belonging to a Russian Oligarch when sanctions were introduced.

if you are into early cinema and the history of cinema,, the town has a major connection to the Lumieres Brothers.   There is a daily market, several nice beaches, and a couple of calanques which can be visited without transport although may be too much of a hike unless only viewed from above.  The main town beach is quite attractive too and an easy walk of only a few minutes from the harbour, so no taxi or car rental needed. In summer (depending on your departure time), there is also an evening market around the harbour area.  The usual crafts etc.  There should be much info online on all things la Ciotat.  Although the harbour and old town areas are not especially famous, they are definitely worth a stroll  For a "relaxed" day there should be enough to interest you. Sanary and Cavalaire are like la Ciotat, minor seaside towns, pleasant enough for relaxing exploration, although Cavaillon is actually quite famous for its beaches. 

As for meals, can only suggest you look at recent online reviews such as TA as our last visit was pre-pandemic in September 2019, and I do not know how many of the town restaurants have reopened.  There used to be lots of them on the edge of the old town overlooking the harbour. The same will apply to Sanary and Cavalaire- read latest reviews.

As August is the main European holiday month, you can expect the town to be busy busy and your ship to attract much attention.

I think your plan sounds good. And although these towns are not famous like Nice or Cannes,, they offer a more authentic French seaside experience.

PS  To help your internet searches, please note spelling.  It is NOT LE CIOTET, but LA CIOTAT.

Edited by edinburgher

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

To help your internet searches, please note spelling.  It is NOT LE CIOTET, but LA CIOTAT.

Thank you for your wonderful insight and the correction. I note the ship itinerary has the correct spelling I just somehow rewrote it. 

in the original itinerary we were supposed to go to Le Lavandou which I have visited before. Your detailed description make La Ciotat sound like an excellent substitute. 

I will do further research on places to eat.  There do seem like quite a few survived the pandemic based on the little research I have done.

I am pleased to read that a number of the harbourfront restaurants have survived the pandemic, although thery could have changed opening hours, menus, even the chefs during that period so up-to-date reviews are best.

Our friends should have visited us here in 2021 (obviously did not happen!)and we would have expected to return to la Ciotat in 2023 although I think they will be visiting here that year instead.

I hope you enjoy your days in the smaller ports. Sometimes a few more relaxing days in an otherwise busy schedule turn out to be the best ones, even if they didn't appear that way at first glance.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, edinburgher said:

My goodness.  A cruise ship call will certainly attract attention as I do not recall any previous mention of one. la Ciotat used to be all about shipbuilding until that collapsed and the yards lay derelict for many years.  the town fell into a slight decline during that period, but more recently (maybe 20 plus years ago!) the local council decided to promoter tourism instead, and made many improvements to promenade, beaches etc. and it worked.  It became more and more popular with tourists, many of them international.  And even more recently, the abandoned shipyards were reinvented as facilities to maintain and repair superyachts as they were big enough and deep enough to accommodate these mega yachts.  That initiative also brought in a skilled workforce.  Townsfolk are used to seeing mega yachts there, but I expect a cruise ship will draw crowds of sightseeers. The French Govt (or their Customs Division) recently seized a superyacht belonging to a Russian Oligarch when sanctions were introduced.

if you are into early cinema and the history of cinema,, the town has a major connection to the Lumieres Brothers.   There is a daily market, several nice beaches, and a couple of calanques which can be visited without transport although may be too much of a hike unless only viewed from above.  The main town beach is quite attractive too and an easy walk of only a few minutes from the harbour, so no taxi or car rental needed. In summer (depending on your departure time), there is also an evening market around the harbour area.  The usual crafts etc.  There should be much info online on all things la Ciotat.  Although the harbour and old town areas are not especially famous, they are definitely worth a stroll  For a "relaxed" day there should be enough to interest you. Sanary and Cavalaire are like la Ciotat, minor seaside towns, pleasant enough for relaxing exploration, although Cavaillon is actually quite famous for its beaches. 

As for meals, can only suggest you look at recent online reviews such as TA as our last visit was pre-pandemic in September 2019, and I do not know how many of the town restaurants have reopened.  There used to be lots of them on the edge of the old town overlooking the harbour. The same will apply to Sanary and Cavalaire- read latest reviews.

As August is the main European holiday month, you can expect the town to be busy busy and your ship to attract much attention.

I think your plan sounds good. And although these towns are not famous like Nice or Cannes,, they offer a more authentic French seaside experience.

PS  To help your internet searches, please note spelling.  It is NOT LE CIOTET, but LA CIOTAT.

Thanks you, this is really helpful 🙂