Southampton QE2 Terminal to Central station?

les37b

Had a quick look before posting to see if may have been asked recently.

It's the furthest berth from the station. I guess getting from the train to the ship will be an easy one and taxis will be plentiful embarking. It's dawned on me, it might not be quite so easy in the reverse direction at 9am on a Saturday morning. I've looked up and can see there is a public bus service (U1C) that runs from NOC to the station, but that involves a 15 min walk with case to get there. That said, it appears the service stops after Sun 24 April and my journey is Sat 30 April.

Will there be plenty of Taxis in the area when we are due to disembark? I guess Uber is an option, but not keen on using them and without being certain what will be our kicking off time, its a bit difficult to pre book a taxi.

Obviously a well trodden path!

Edited by les37b

You've done your research - yes there's a bus from the National Oceanography Centre, but altho can be used by the public it's primarily for university students. That will account for no service during a university recess. From the cruise terminal to the NOC is along a busy docks road, by far the most difficult part of a hike.

The only sensible option  is taking a cab, it's a ten-minute drive, about £10.

Plenty of cabs in the rank at the cruise terminal - at times demand exceeds supply but a line moves quickly because trips are short (eg to the station) and cabs then return to the terminal.

I'm not sure that Uber is an option. There used to be a £1 fee for cabs picking up, but a few years back that was changed to an annual charge - that might or might not apply to booked Ubers

Where are you headed? And is your train time critical?

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedgeToo said:

I'm not sure if this helps, it's a 30 minute easy walk. I've done it several times with luggage

Good thinking, although from Ocean Terminal its easy to walk out of the docks (7 minutes) & catch the frequent City Red Number 3 bus to the station.

But Les' ship berths at QE11 Terminal, much deeper into the docks. About a 15 - 20 minute walk to the dock gate, much of it separated from heavy truck traffic by only a yellow line.

It's as much about keeping body & soul together as it is about the distance 😉

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Bull said:

Good thinking, although from Ocean Terminal its easy to walk out of the docks (7 minutes) & catch the frequent City Red Number 3 bus to the station.

But Les' ship berths at QE11 Terminal, much deeper into the docks. About a 15 - 20 minute walk to the dock gate, much of it separated from heavy truck traffic by only a yellow line.

It's as much about keeping body & soul together as it is about the distance 😉

JB 🙂

Aha! Fair enough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1