Juneau whale watching excursions?

avic77

Ok I know whale watching excision is an absolute must do so I have been sifting through options. 

Should we go through our cruise line (Princess) or will it be rushed and over crowded? 

If an independent excursion company is better which do you all recommend?

Is the combo Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier preferred or should we book a pure whale watching one?

One last question: many o the excursions offer a salmon or crab cookout meal... Is that worth it or better to find a local restaurant in town after the excursion?

I would recommend Harv and Marvs.  They came highly recommended to me.   When I visited Juneau last I used them.  And in May I’m going again and have already booked them. 

They do stop by the glacier.   You can also use the shuttle between the cruise dock and the glacier if you want more time.  

I’d hit  up a local restaurant for dinner.  But it’s been a couple years awhile since I have been there - and even longer since I lived in Juneau - so no specific restaurant recommendations - I’m looking for some though!

I find the excursion dining options to be too touristy.  

You can easily walk to the downtown area from the cruise dock.  

• Like 3

If you book a combo tour, make sure the stop at Mendenhall Glacier is after the whale watching and allows you flexibility on how long you stay at the glacier. Many have a limited time (90 min?) that doesn’t allow much time for exploring Nugget Falls and other trails. I booked with Juneau Whale Watch which has good reviews and allows you to spend more time at the glacier and catch a return bus every 1/2 hour. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 4:35 PM, MichFish said:

I would recommend Harv and Marvs.  They came highly recommended to me.   When I visited Juneau last I used them.  And in May I’m going again and have already booked them. 

They do stop by the glacier.  

My wife and are are going with Harv and Marv in June this year. They said they no longer can or will be dropping passengers off at Mendenhall Glacier. Said we'd need to call for a taxi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used Harv and Marv in 2013 and really enjoyed it . We are going back in July 2022 and booked with Juneau Whale Watch Tour .  They have Mendenhall Glacier and Juneau Whale Watching Combo Tour.

Just noticed your name. That's my nickname, lol

Marivic

Edited by CruisingFamily2005
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, travelbuds said:

My wife and are are going with Harv and Marv in June this year. They said they no longer can or will be dropping passengers off at Mendenhall Glacier. Said we'd need to call for a taxi.

Interesting - the description on the web site says they still do it.   I tried to call - but no answer.  I just sent an email to find out for sure.     Our tour with them is in the afternoon - if they are not doing the stop at the glacier - we can use the shuttle in the AM.

Thanks for the heads up!

3 hours ago, MichFish said:

Interesting - the description on the web site says they still do it.   I tried to call - but no answer.  I just sent an email to find out for sure.     
Thanks for the heads up!

Please let us know if you get a different answer. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Please let us know if you get a different answer. Thanks.

More or less I got the same answer.   They no longer do a drive by at the glacier.    Apparently new regs make pulling into the parking lot a nightmare.   I was researching that too - Uber and Lyft won’t even do it. 

Options are a Taxi or a shuttle.  The shuttle is 45/per person round trip.  

What Harvs and Marvs does now is pull over at Brotherhood Bridge.   From there you get a picturesque view - but it’s not particularly close. 

It’s so odd to me.  How much the glacier has receded.  I lived in Juneau when it was still advancing - 1987-1991.   I used to walk from the University to the glacier.    You could walk right up to it.       You just don’t expect to see a major difference in a glacier in your lifetime. 

I’ve been back twice.  This will be my 3rd trip back.     

I may do the taxi option if my group wants to.  Only 1 of us had not been to it before.    

I have an email into Evergreen Taxi and Toirs asking about rates from the cruise ship terminal (I’ll be in the AJ dock) to Mendenhall and back. 

I’ll let you know what I hear. 

Here is the response from Harvs and Marvs:

Our tour includes a stop at Brotherhood Bridge for a photo viewpoint of the Mendenhall Glacier.

Unfortunately, due to changes in permitting and regulations by the US Forest Service, we can no longer pick up or drop off at the Mendenhall Glacier. You can schedule a taxi ahead of time or call when you arrive, the two main companies that service the glacier are Evergreen Taxi - 907-586-2121 / www.evergreentaxi.com and Juneau Taxi & Tours - 907-789-1111 / www.juneau.cab

If you would like to visit the Mendenhall Glacier, there are a few options:

1. Visit the Glacier prior to the whale watch and take a taxi from the Glacier to the harbor that we leave from. We will provide transportation back to the ship.

2. You can take a taxi from Auke Bay Harbor to the Glacier, and then take either a taxi or the Glacier shuttle back to the ship. 

3. You can take the Glacier shuttle to and from the Glacier prior to or following your tour.

Edited by MichFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MichFish said:

More or less I got the same answer.   They no longer do a drive by at the glacier.  
I’ll let you know what I hear. 
Here is the response from Harvs and Marvs:

If you would like to visit the Mendenhall Glacier, there are a few options:

1. Visit the Glacier prior to the whale watch and take a taxi from the Glacier to the harbor that we leave from. We will provide transportation back to the ship.

2. You can take a taxi from Auke Bay Harbor to the Glacier, and then take either a taxi or the Glacier shuttle back to the ship. 

3. You can take the Glacier shuttle to and from the Glacier prior to or following your tour.

I think we'll do the second option. Whale watch at 7:30AM. Pack a lunch from the ship and eat after the tour at dock at Statter Harbor or on the taxi ride to the Glacier. Or lunch at Hot Bite. Blue bus shuttle on way back to ship from Glacier. I called M&M tours about the bus. Said we could buy a return ticket from her office directly for 1/2 price. Drivers can no longer take money. On our last trip that we used the bus,  we just paid the bus driver the $7 (at the time) return fare.

Inflation! 

I'm going with Gastineau, booked through the cruiseline. Last time I did a "photo safari" with them that was whale watching and a hike (on an easy trail) at Mendenhall. Very small group, excellent experience, which is why I booked with them again. It's supposed to include the hike this year. If it didn't, I wouldn't mind more time on the water, but I've been to Mendhall twice before (first time by bicycle!). 

OP, if you can't book Harv and Marv, do some searching online. Often, if you google the name of the tour the ship is selling, you can find the vendor and get more details. You may not be able to book directly, but you will know more about what you'll be getting. Find a company with small boats, not the touristy double-deckers. I've seen people crowded along the rail, trying to get a picture. Gastineau and at least one other company use one-level boats with large windows that open, and there's always space for everyone to see what's happening. Check out Gastineau and you'll see the kind of boat I'm talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am checking out options for late July ? Will we still see whales.  We are in port 12-8pm. I can do Harv and Marvs at 2pm or Juneau Whale watch combo with Glacier for 2:30pm.  Not sure if those tour times would be too late to see much at Glacier/trails. And also what to do near port for 2-2.5hrs beforehand.  I had looked at the cruise offerings but they are $250pp