When are GUAR staterooms assigned?

FSULB

We are going on the May 20, 2006 Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess. It's our first cruise, so I don't know how things work. We booked a GUAR cabin. I just got a confirmation from the TA (travelocity, if that counts as a TA) and it showed a stateroom has been assigned. Is it time for that already? I booked GUAR hoping for an upgrade (don't flame, I know upgrades aren't an entitlement), so I'd rather not be assigned until the last minute, of course. Does it even matter? Just looking for suggestions before I ask travelocity. Thanks :)

they are assigned at any time, and you could get an upgrade even when you board the ship....anything is possible, but the general advice is be happy with the category you originally booked the guarantee for, and be really happy if you get anything better.

Asking T.O. won't actually help you get a better cabin. Gurantee staterooms can be assigned right after you book, later on, or as you board. They can also change before the cruise.

Always book the stateroom category you will be happy with even without an ungrade and then IF you get one, then it is party time.

But, upgrades are just few and far between anymore.

Enjoy your sailing!

We booked a gty BF category and received our cabin # about 90 days prior to our sail date...

Information gathered from my "roll call" showed, the balcony gtys all seemed to receive their assignments around the same time 80-90 days before sailing...

One member who booked an "outside room gty", just received her cabin # this week. Fifty-seven (57) days prior to sailing, I should also note she received her cabin assignment the same day the ship showed as "sold-out" :p !

Oh... BTW, all those on my roll-call who booked a "gty catagory" were "upgraded"!

Cheers!

CCFan

I don't think they can change you back once your room has been assigned...

We went from a BF to a BC...

We loved our room location so much, I was actually more afraid of another upgrade :eek: (I didn't want to be on the ALOHA or LIDO deck), I contacted our TA and asked her to request through princess, NO more upgrades...

Our TA had no problem making the request through Princess! She was completely assured our room assignment was solidified and no, they were not going to change our assignment again!

Hope that helps...

CCFan

Thanks. That's what I thought, but if we got another upgrade from BA, it would be to a mini-suite and I don't think that is going to happen. I'm thrilled to get the BA. We always book early and choose our room, but this cruise just sort of happened and we took a chance with a guarantee.

We go on April 7th and had a guar BB and got assigned a BA about two months out. Looks like a nice cabin, but you should only book a guar for what you really want cause there is no guar that you'll get any better.

We were on a b2b with both cruises gty. We got a cabin for the first cruise a month before we sailed and it was an upgrade of one level. The second cruise, we were on the ship and the day before the first cruise ended, we received our cabin assignment. It went up 4 levels. Sometimes it is better if it comes late. We usually go Gty, but like others have mentioned, book into the level that you want, then if you aren't upgraded, you will still be happy.

We booked a guar. on Caribbean Princess for June. Booked an AD guar. We have already received our room an AD on Emerald deck. After hearing these were covered balconies called our TA and told her to put no upgrades. We did not realize when we booked the cruise these were the only covered mini's or we would have booked this mini to start with. This board has given me a lot of information since I have found it. Thanks to everyone for all the information you share.

Archived