14 yo dresses

I would try Gottschalks in the jr department, they run very small and are always on clearance, I hate to say this because i know this bothers some people but i also go to the thrift stores and have bought many beautiful formals for between $5 & $12, this is where my daughters shop for their cruise formal dresses, they have only been worn once on a cruise or at a wedding and i am sure not more than for a few hours, they have a ball going through the racks of them.

For all people who will not step foot into a second hand store.. you don't know what you are missing.

Have you tried Rugged Bear in Falmouth? They usually have nice dresses around the holidays. They should be getting Easter dresses soon. Talbots is terrific as well. Isn't there one in Osterville?

I would also suggest a trip off Cape. I know...I know, traffic yada yada yada:eek: Providence Place Mall in Providence RI has great stores. You could make a weekend of it and spend the night in one of the nearby hotels. There are also the shops on Derby Street in Hingham (they have a Talbot's kids) and the South Shore Plaza in Braintree. Finally, there is also Boston. You can find lots of great stores over at Copley.

Cape Cod Cruiser,

I live on the Cape, have a 14 yr old daughter and love to cruise too. I know we don't have a lot of shopping choices right now. (especially since Filenes is closing) My daughter wears a size 4 and is pretty picky. I would think your daughter must be around a 2-4 in womens/juniors. She really loves H&M at the Kingston Mall. Last year she picked up a couple full skirts with sequins, very cute. She also loves JCrew, they have some nice sun dresses and they usually mark their clothes down after a month or so. Also, there are some interesting shops over at the Mashpee Commons.

On the cruises we have been on the teenage girls wear mostly short dresses and skirts, not too many long promlike dresses.

Have fun shopping!

I think this seriously calls for a trip to Boston!!!! Spend a night! Hit some museums! (I love Boston). OK hard enough when you are planning a cruise huh?

http://www.nordstroms.com for some great dresses at sale prices. Dillards has a website and sales, some great sales. The only problem with E-bay is if the dress is the wrong size or looks, not quite right, I have had a tough time with returns (I rarely do it but have had to. Once I was assured a skirt was a size 14 with measurements etc. I got it and it was a size 4!!)

I'd wait it out until next year, after the Holidays, then look for online sales. Not only will you get a more current style, you'll know your daughters size more accurately by then. (You never know how much they will grow, or their body will change!)

My favorite online sale site has to be Nordstrom.com, they have junior, petite and small ladies sizes. They currently have a $5 shipping charge for every order, with a $5 restocking fee if you have to return items, a bargain in comparison to many other sites, including Ebay. My daughter did not go from a girls 12 to a ladies 2, she went from a 12 to a juniors large, or a petite 12. I think it all depends on the manufacturer. So, order according to the measurment they give, rather than the tag size.

If your daughter is more modest than what you see online, JC Penney has clothing that is more appropriate for that. You can also go to a bridal site, many people wear bridesmaid, or prom style gowns. I think those sites are a bit pricey for what you get, if you're on a budget, you'll do better at a major department store sale. But, the travel cost, for you, to get to that type of store might be prohibitive.

I'm sure you'll work this out and I'm sure someone will help you with the perfect solution for your situation. In the mean time, don't stress about it too much and have fun planning!

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I have scoped out the new Talbots fashions online (no kids sizes in local stores). I just wasn't sure if the spring like dresses would be fancy enough.

I will have to go off Cape (Scary thought!) maybe toward next winter. I was just hoping to get a start. Im sur eif I buy now-she'll out grow anyways.

Shes only a girls 10/12 now- so many of the junior things are too big-especially in waist!

I agree on ebay...so many things can be wrong-I know many of you have had great luck!

Kingston mall is a calling!

Find a Deb Shop .... I just bought two formals there for my 15 yr old off the clearance rack for $18.75 a piece and she can wear one for prom next month

Question for you walks- how did you all set up a GS mom & me cruise? We have talked about that here-maybe out of Maryland or NJ for a short cruise. Was it too $$? Any specials for a non profit group??

I have scoped out the new Talbots fashions online (no kids sizes in local stores). I just wasn't sure if the spring like dresses would be fancy enough.

I will have to go off Cape (Scary thought!) maybe toward next winter. I was just hoping to get a start. Im sur eif I buy now-she'll out grow anyways.

Shes only a girls 10/12 now- so many of the junior things are too big-especially in waist!

I agree on ebay...so many things can be wrong-I know many of you have had great luck!

Hi. I sell some kids' formal stuff on ebay. All is new with tags and comes from the following website.

http://www.magickidsusa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_3&sort=20a&page=1

This is a photo of one of the items I have coming in soon. The other item I ordered is no longer available, so I can't show it to you from their website.

The prices on the website are quoted very low and are for large quantities. If you order a single item, it will be higher and you have to consider the shipping cost. If you wish to order something from the site, email me at plymouthpartners at netscape dot net.

I have just ordered some things that I expect in the next week or so. I have some bigger girl's sizes coming. My worry for your 14-year-old is that some of the girl's sized formal things are a little too young looking. She probably wants to look a little grown up.

--Judy

49879.gif.8f1061a273fa8f10b1390049f8f7a770.gif

Hi Cape Cruiser,

I'd suggest heading due north to hit both Derby Street Shoppes and Talbots Outlet in Hingham. At Derby, there is a Talbots Kids, Mens and Women (petite, average and plus). For you, there is also a Jasmine del Sol, Chico's, Coldwater Creek, J Jill and White House Black Market. Those are just the clothes stores. It reminds me of Mashpee Commons but on a smaller scale.

On Lincoln Street in Hingham, is the Talbot's Outlet. If you call, they will put you on their mailing list. Their sales are fantastic. In mid January, I happened by and got a gorgeous silk charmeuse tank that zips on the side with a little stretch to it. The ticket price was $68 and I got it for $3.75. I also got a great pair of chartrueuse jeans- boot cut with a bit of lycra for $9- regular $78. I try to stay away as I can't leave behind the bargains. They always have fantastic dresses at rock bottom prices even in the kids department. You may even be able to buy your daughter a dress in a size 2 or 4 that would fit her next year.

Archived