sail away party, which aft balcony

Katiedid

WE have the sc6169 starboard aft balcony

our friends have sc6158 port side.

we sould like to see the flag waving, which room should we plan on having the appetizers sent.

Also once the ship is out of port does she cruise along the coast line any distance so you would be able to see the Lauderdale beaches etc? or straight out to sea.

6158 better to see the flag waving.

The ship will go out to sea quite a distance and then turn south away from Ft Lauderdale. You won't even be able to see Miami.

Good luck on leaving on time. Many times it has been posted that we were to leave at 5 and 99% of the time we didn't leave until 5:30 - 7 - depends on how many ships are in port that day. Weekends during the winter is very crowded with ships in Ft Lauderdale.

When we sailed from Port Everglades in January of 2005 departure was planned for 5 PM and we were on aft deck portside, drink in hand, before 5. They were still loading luggage and we were able to watch this go on and on and on. Jokes were going round... "Oh, there's your bags just being loaded." One drink led to another and meanwhile the sun was setting. I think we actually sailed at about 6:15 and it was almost dark, but we saw lights flashing from shore and heard horns sounding. It was the best sailaway we have experienced, although Warnemunde was nice too.

Go with the portside balcony for the sailaway festivities. You will be on the side toward the pier as you leave the dock and will be able to wave goodbye to the people around the terminal, watch the casting off of the lines, watch the thrusters push the ship away and then after making the U-turn to head out to sea, you'll see all of the flag wavers.

On all 3 Vista ships, in Ft Lauderdale, the ship pulled right into the pier so that the starboard side was against the dock when we were on them - Oosterdam (Feb/Mar 2004); Westerdam (Jan 2005) and Zuiderdam (May 2005).

Most of the other "dam" ships turn around first and then dock so that the port side faces the pier.

We love when we face the Atlantic.

On all 3 Vista ships, in Ft Lauderdale, the ship pulled right into the pier so that the starboard side was against the dock when we were on them - Oosterdam (Feb/Mar 2004); Westerdam (Jan 2005) and Zuiderdam (May 2005).

Most of the other "dam" ships turn around first and then dock so that the port side faces the pier.

We love when we face the Atlantic.

Thanks for the info about the Vista ships docking opposite direction of the smaller ones. I've only been there when the smaller ships were docked and the port side was against the pier. Katiedid, it looks like you'll just have to start out in your cabin and, once underway, skip down the hall to your friends' cabin for the flags and horns.

Curious minds want to know.... just what was it that Katie... did:D

Curious minds want to know.... just what was it that Katie... did:D__________________

Unlike Frank S. I could not "did" it all my way. But I did give it a hell of a try and still remain out of jail.

Now days my cat does more than I do....

katidid

Archived