Pepper reporting live from the Dawn!

WaldosPepper

Pepper,

Glad to hear what a wonderful time you're having. Just to update you,

no snow expected, the temps are running around 15 degrees but the wind chill is bringing it down to around minus 2.

Hope you have a safe trip home.

Important note: this adventure is NOT for the faint of heart, or for anyone who is not in very good physical condition! The trail leading to the falls is unbelievably rugged, and the path is rocks and mud in equal proportions. These horses are remarkably sure-footed and proceed along the trail with little or no direction. Incredibly steep hills often require the rider to lean either all the way forward or backward in order to balance while the horse picks its way among the rocks. The views along the way are nothing short of spectacular, and the locals do their very best to point out the various points of interest as well as naming the varieties of plants and trees. My guide, Juliana, did an amazing job of keeping me informed and entertained, and managed to somehow communicate that she is happily married and has five children. Along the way another guide behind us noticed a problem with my saddle, and came alongside to make an adjustment. Unfortunately, the adjustment did not hold, and a bit later as the horse stepped into a small gulley, the saddle slipped to the left, and I went with it. Blessedly this occurred at one of the only level and grass covered areas of the trail, so my landing was on hard ground, as opposed to pure rock or mud. Three guides jumped in immediately to assist both me and Juliana, and in no time we were proceeding along to the falls. I was a bit shaken up and bruised, but otherwise just fine, and the rest of the adventure was without incident.[/size][/font]

After riding for approximately 25 minutes we arrived at a small building where bottled water was for sale along with some small local trinkets. At this point the rest of the journey is on foot. Having not prepared for such a trail, most of us were wearing sneakers or sandals, and this portion of the trip proved incredibly challenging for all of us. The trail goes STRAIGHT DOWN and winds along between trees and boulders. Because it’s rainforest, the surface is a bit slippery in many spots and treacherous most of the way. Our guides directed us to the safe footholds and held our hands in order to steady us. Eventually we arrived at the falls which are nothing short of breathtaking! We all took plenty of photos, and I’ll post some later. After a very brief respite at the falls, we checked our watches and realized we had very short time left before the last tender. Hurriedly we headed back up the trail and miraculously none of us suffered a heart attack from the exertion. Julianna somehow managed to literally pull me along several times as we headed up the trail, and I cannot imagine were this little tiny woman hides all the muscle that surely required! Exhausted, with leg muscles burning we finally arrived back at the horses, where we climbed on and were extraordinarily grateful for their help.

Very happy to hear you were not seriously injured, but sorry about your colorful butt. You picked a good day to schedule that massage!

Thank you for all of the time you've spent posting.

No snow in the forecast for us in the near future.

Jackie

Greetings from the Atlantic Ocean! We’re presently east of South Carolina, proceeding at 19.8 knots. The temperature is 53 degrees, with Force 8 winds at 35.4 knots, considered Gale Force. The seas are listed as Rough. We encountered these conditions rather suddenly last evening at about 6:20, and I was rather unprepared not having taken my Meclizine. Blessedly it works very rapidly, and within 20 minutes or so I felt no ill effects of the motion. Although the reported conditions are quite similar to those reported on our journey south, the motion of the ship is considerably greater than it was then, and I have no doubt that there are quite a few miserable passengers today. Sadly most of them won’t visit the Purser’s Desk and pick up a remedy, and their misery will end their cruise on a nasty note.

We have a surprise visitor onboard with us! Apparently when we were docked in St. Maarten, Rudi Macaggi came aboard. I was tickled pink to see his name in the Freestyle Daily, and we attended his first show on Thursday evening. For those who’ve seen him, you know how much we enjoyed his act. To any who are unfamiliar with Rudi, the best way I can describe him is to say that he is an acrobatic comedian who is completely out of his mind. We howled with laughter along with a packed house in the Stardust Theatre.

Last night was Liars Club, and Rudi was on the panel along with Bud Andersen, Greg Gleason and Lance, with Ricky Matthews as our host. Spinnakers was packed, with many folks lining the aisles, and overflowing out beyond the bar and into the passageways. As Rudi’s turn came to give his definition of the first word, he declared the need to clear the table so as to “demonstrate” his definition. As everyone was chuckling, and the panel cleared the table and moved back a bit, Rudi leapt onto the table which promptly collapsed, causing an avalanche of tablecloth, skirt, and Rudi. The crowd erupted in laughter, and I thought Ricky was going to fall over, he was laughing so hard. Rudi was not to be discouraged, and he simply got up and continued his “demonstration” by perching on one foot, and then on his head. This sort of insanity continued as each word was presented, and by the time the show was over we all had sore cheeks and bellies from laughing so hard! Tonight Rudi will team up with Greg Gleason for what will surely be another hour of side-splitting hilarity. Needless to say, we’re all looking forward to that show.

Last night we also enjoyed Bollywood, and again the Stardust Theatre was completely packed. The show was spectacular, and one of the CC members onboard claimed that the show was a bit different than the one she’d seen previously, with much more acrobatic and gymnastic display this time. As the cast members rotate in and out from time to time, this could be a result of the talents of the present cast. Whatever the reason, we were treated to a display of talent that was nothing short of amazing! Needless to say, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves all evening, and went to bed exhausted and quite happy.

I’m beginning to really feel the effects of my spill from the horse, as well as the climb out of the falls area. I have no doubt some folks onboard last night suspected that I belong in a wheelchair, as they watched me trying to navigate the small steps in the Stardust, and again the ramps in Spinnakers. After a dose of Tylenol, and a good nights rest I’m a bit better this morning, but getting up or down from a chair remains a mighty challenge, and I’ll be avoiding stairs wherever possible for the rest of this sailing. DH indicates that the bruising on my back and butt are getting darker by the day. I can attest to the fact that the ache is proceeding at the same pace. I’m actually glad that I can’t see my own back, and I probably don’t want to know how nasty it looks. Fortunately, I have no broken bones and nothing bled, so all things considered I’m pretty luck I suppose! In a few more days I’ll forget it ever happened.

As I write, the seas continue to worsen, and it’s abundantly clear that we are approaching Cape Hatteras. The temp dropped two degrees while I was typing, and the ship is begging to rock and roll in earnest. I expect this will be a rather interesting afternoon as we draw closer to the Cape and pass through this notoriously treacherous area. The Captain indicated we should arrive at the worst of it at around 3:00.

For all those wishing to watch us sail up the Hudson, better log on early. This morning’s announcement puts us at the Pilot station at 6:30 AM, and into the dock at approximately 8:15 AM. This is good news for all those wishing to start their vacations at the earliest possible moment!

We’ve enjoyed an incredibly vacation aboard this truly beautiful ship, and return rested and full of wonderful memories. Packing up this afternoon or evening, I’m sure I’ll be sad to face the reality that the cruise is coming to an end. In the meantime, and throughout the night, I intend to enjoy every remaining moment of fun, relaxation, and general enjoyment!

Hope all are well, and Bon Voyage to all the Crazy Cruisers sailing tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

To answer a few:

Awesome - we found this tour right at the pier, and the cost was $20.00 per person. Worth twice the cost! See the man dressed in black and wearing a pink whistle around his neck. ;)

SeaCruiser25 - according to the presentations onboard and on the TV, several ships are scheduled to call on Samana in the coming months - including the Spirit!!!! :D

Mimi - so nice to hear from you, neighbor! Thanks for the weather update. BBBBRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!! :eek: Guess I'll be wearing my turtleneck tomorrow! :rolleyes:

As a nurse, I have to agree with Ann ... aspirin or advil much better but make sure you have food or milk with it. IMHO tylenol is treacherous on the liver especially combined with libations :eek: . Feel better soon Pepper - we loved your daily reports. Thanks. Tink :)

Hi Pepper,

See, I really wasn't kidding when I mentioned those painkillers.:D

Our 5/20 Spirit cruise originally had Samana on it, as I recall, but it got changed to Bermuda.

You bring back memories of Rudi. I think I've seen him twice. Isn't he the one who does some strange things with toilet paper?;)

Take care of yourself and have a safe trip home. Good thing you don't have to cramp up in an airline seat.:)

Greetings from the Atlantic Ocean! We’re presently east of South Carolina, proceeding at 19.8 knots. The temperature is 53 degrees, with Force 8 winds at 35.4 knots, considered Gale Force. The seas are listed as Rough. We encountered these conditions rather suddenly last evening at about 6:20, and I was rather unprepared not having taken my Meclizine. Blessedly it works very rapidly, and within 20 minutes or so I felt no ill :confused:

Is this a safe mdicine to take if you are par taking in any other spirits later in the evening? Just wondering, cause last Feb. I did feel ill but I did wear the wrist bands and Idid not get truly sick. And by evening I did have a martini, but didn't think I should try taking a medicine because I wasn't sure how that would mix.

Thanks for you help in advance:cool:

Greetings from the Atlantic Ocean! We’re presently east of South Carolina, proceeding at 19.8 knots. The temperature is 53 degrees, with Force 8 winds at 35.4 knots, considered Gale Force. The seas are listed as Rough. We encountered these conditions rather suddenly last evening at about 6:20, and I was rather unprepared not having taken my Meclizine. Blessedly it works very rapidly, and within 20 minutes or so I felt no ill :confused:

Is this a safe mdicine to take if you are par taking in any other spirits later in the evening? Just wondering, cause last Feb. I did feel ill but I did wear the wrist bands and Idid not get truly sick. And by evening I did have a martini, but didn't think I should try taking a medicine because I wasn't sure how that would mix.

Thanks for you help in advance:cool:

Sure you can take booze with meclizine ...it just might make you sleepier ;)

Sure you can take booze with meclizine ...it just might make you sleepier ;)

Not a Doctor and you always should check before taking any medication but the reason many choose meclizine is it does not normally make you drowsy and most have no problem still enjoying a cocktail or two with it unlike many of the other meds available.

To all a very warm welcome back. We hope all had a better than excellent cruise. Pep. Thanks for the updates and hope you are noting feeling much from your fall.

Our turn has come and we plan to make the most of it.

Smiles from Wally & Terri and the Crazy Crew.:) :p

Welcome Home

Logo02.gif

Welcome home!! I have enjoyed every moment of your cruise as the others have said. Your descriptions of events felt like I could see and experience everything you did...except the fall. Take it slow. Thank you so much for making this waiting week exciting. EileenN

Well, the last evening has nearly come to an end, and the packing is underway. We’ve enjoyed a truly marvelous time and are coming home with memories of our most wonderful cruise yet! Presently we’re due east of Washington DC, and the conditions are much the same as they were earlier today. We’re bouncing around quite a bit with the 40 knot winds, but with the miracle of Meclizine I’m feeling simply wonderful. We’ve got a mere 152 Nautical Miles left to travel, so we’re fairly certain that this is the worst of it, and soon the seas will smooth out as we approach NYC.

Rudi’s show tonight was even more hilarious than his previous antics, and the magic of Greg Gleason was delightful as well. We enjoyed our final onboard dinner in Impressions, along with Joanniebop, Brandi, and UnoMas. Our meal was once again superb, and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and the company equally.

We’re scheduled to dock at 8:30AM, and hope to be disembarking at 10:00 with the assistance of the Amazing Alex. With any luck, we’ll be on the highway by 11:00 and home in New Hampshire by suppertime or thereabouts. We’re hoping to find temps a bit milder than Mimi reported, but we’re still expecting the worst, and are dressing accordingly.

I’ll answer any questions after we’ve had a chance to settle in at home. Hope you all enjoyed vacationing vicariously with my family and me.

Well, the last evening has nearly come to an end, and the packing is underway. We’ve enjoyed a truly marvelous time and are coming home with memories of our most wonderful cruise yet! Presently we’re due east of Washington DC, and the conditions are much the same as they were earlier today. We’re bouncing around quite a bit with the 40 knot winds, but with the miracle of Meclizine I’m feeling simply wonderful. We’ve got a mere 152 Nautical Miles left to travel, so we’re fairly certain that this is the worst of it, and soon the seas will smooth out as we approach NYC.

Rudi’s show tonight was even more hilarious than his previous antics, and the magic of Greg Gleason was delightful as well. We enjoyed our final onboard dinner in Impressions, along with Joanniebop, Brandi, and UnoMas. Our meal was once again superb, and we thoroughly enjoyed the food and the company equally.

We’re scheduled to dock at 8:30AM, and hope to be disembarking at 10:00 with the assistance of the Amazing Alex. With any luck, we’ll be on the highway by 11:00 and home in New Hampshire by suppertime or thereabouts. We’re hoping to find temps a bit milder than Mimi reported, but we’re still expecting the worst, and are dressing accordingly.

I’ll answer any questions after we’ve had a chance to settle in at home. Hope you all enjoyed vacationing vicariously with my family and me.

Oh Pepper it goes too fast:( I am happy you had such a good time . Loved reading your reports. Hope you are not toooo sore:) Safe home.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Pepper,

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. I looked forward to reading your postings everyday.

Hope you had a safe ride home to NH. We live in NJ but both of my daughters went to UNH so we spent a lot of time up in NH. What a beautiful state.

Leona

Not a Doctor and you always should check before taking any medication but the reason many choose meclizine is it does not normally make you drowsy and most have no problem still enjoying a cocktail or two with it unlike many of the other meds available.

Jim, you are absolutely right. I presumed that most would speak with their doctor first. I am not a doctor though I am a nurse. I have to take meclizine 2-3 times a day and booze does make me sleepier. Everyone reacts differently to medication and it can always interact with other medications you are on. :)

Welcome home Pepper:D

Thank you so very much for taking time on your cruise to post. It was a wonderful treat for all of us to read as you cruised along.

Hope you have a safe trip on the roads and your sore butt won't bother you too much on ride home:p .

Archived