Booking dining for a group on Iona?

LoveGlasto

We have previously only ever cruised Royal Caribbean so are used to having a regular table each night in the MDR at the same time each evening. 

As newbies to P&O (doing the Norwegian Fjords cruise in July), can someone please answer the following questions:

1. Do we have only have the option to book a table each evening using the P&O App even if we prefer a regular time and table size?
2. What are the maximum size of tables to book as we are large party of 12 adults and are there any recommendations on seating large parties (even if we have to split over two tables)? 
3. Any tips on any particular restaurants for larger groups? 
4. How does booking work when you use the app, can one person do it by adding multiple cabin numbers? 
5. The questions above were specifically for evening meals, but are there any recommendations for the same at breakfast? 
6. Finally, I have the same questions for the Iona Formal night ( not sure which night this is yet ), where we intend to all dine at the same time in formal dress? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

When on board Iona in January we just booked the same table, at the same time each evening, in the same restaurant. By the end of the cruise we didn't even need to book, we just said see you tomorrow!

So how does being able to reserve a specific table at a specific time square with freedom dining on Iona, or is it a 'private' arrangement.

No, it wasn't a  private arrangement, we just booked at the reception desk in the restaurant. After a few days they just got to know our requirement and booked it for us as we said "see you tomorrow" as we departed at the end of our meal

Are your bookings linked....that would be one of the first things to do. As soon as you board I would visit the MDR and speak with the maître d and explain your requirements and that your bookings are linked and that you need to be all seated together....especially on formal nights....and ask if you can pre book for a certain time each evening.

Twelve may be too many to all be seated at the same table but others may know different but I would think that they would ensure that the tables were together

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

No, it wasn't a  private arrangement, we just booked at the reception desk in the restaurant. After a few days they just got to know our requirement and booked it for us as we said "see you tomorrow" as we departed at the end of our meal

Always had freedom dining and nearly always try to get the same area in the mdr when we have got to know the waiters ,if they are up for a laugh and joke we will stick with them and ask the maître d to book us into there designated serving area , if not available we will wait, being friendly and polite to all the staff makes a huge difference and has served us well and made us many friends who remember us when we sail with them again😃 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

Are your bookings linked....that would be one of the first things to do. As soon as you board I would visit the MDR and speak with the maître d and explain your requirements and that your bookings are linked and that you need to be all seated together....especially on formal nights....and ask if you can pre book for a certain time each evening.

Twelve may be too many to all be seated at the same table but others may know different but I would think that they would ensure that the tables were together

Thanks for everyone’s feedback.  Yes our bookings are linked and I take on board your suggestion to visit the MDR as soon as we embark to chat with the maitre d. Like you said if we can’t all sit on the same table, then I’m sure there is the option of have two tables close to each other. 

Can ask if there is more than one MDR on the Iona and if so if there is any recommendation on which one to use? 

2 hours ago, LoveGlasto said:

Can ask if there is more than one MDR on the Iona and if so if there is any recommendation on which one to use? 

There are 4 but two are very small so I would think one of  the two at the very stern would suit you better. See the deck plans online. 

• Like 1