Currently on the Sunshine

Gettys84

Just got off a 5 day on sunshine this morning. I love the sunshine and have sailed her over 10 times so this is not a knock on the ship. We are no longer in the Covid period. The ship was at capacity and it was being over run by children which I guess should have been expected being the week before Easter. I like children, I don't like out of control children. I just don't think Carnival is ready for full capacity. The lines were long and the kids were somewhat out of control. Pool had to be closed one day because some kid defecated in it. I always manage a good time but full capacity is back and I was spoiled because I cruised a lot during  the half capacity days. All good things must come to an end I guess. I hope you have a good cruise.

We're going on the Sunshine in a few weeks (thankfully school will still be in session then and kiddos will be back- I heard this past cruise was full of kids). Pretty excited to go to Half Moon Cay! 

Is the boarding process in CHS still pretty fast? Also what kinds of events and shows are happening on board- even post-COVID is it still the usual?

6 hours ago, proudpatriot07 said:

We're going on the Sunshine in a few weeks (thankfully school will still be in session then and kiddos will be back- I heard this past cruise was full of kids). Pretty excited to go to Half Moon Cay! 

Is the boarding process in CHS still pretty fast? Also what kinds of events and shows are happening on board- even post-COVID is it still the usual?

Took us about 40 minutes from parking to get on the ship. Was pretty easy!

We are on the Sunshine in 4 wks , we love her!   Many schools (not college level) in several states were off this past week  so no surprise on kid crowds.  We all know that there are many parents that use the cruise ships as a built in baby sitter and hardly even see their kids during the cruise (except maybe dinner time). 

A couple years ago (right before covid),  I think it was on Magic or Breeze, we were having a drink on bottom floor of atrium bar about 11 pm and heard all this noise behind us.  The entire floor behind us was littered with broken single serve milk cartons, we looked up where the laughter came from (many, many decks up) to see a group (prob 5 or 6 of them) 10-12 yr old boys throwing the cartons over the railing into the atrium and watching them explode.  Was funny until one of the full milk cartons hit an elderly woman in the shoulder (good thing not directly on her head) as she walked across the atrium and it caused her to fall. 

Guess they didn't figure that a full milk carton dropped from that height could seriously hurt someone (she had bruising on her shoulder, her back hurt from the fall and she was very shaken up).  The group of boys ran but were tracked down very quickly by security.  We heard through the cruise ship grape vine that their parents were warned that each kid had to have a parent with them outside of their cabins at all times and the parents would be responsible for any medical invoices for the woman.  Hopefully the cruise ship followed through with the warnings as it was about 3 or 4 days into a 7 day cruise.  

Edited by Drazil65

12 hours ago, shibby sails said:

The lines were long and the kids were somewhat out of control.

Me too.  Yep, it seemed there were a lot of unsupervised kids hanging around and RUNNING everywhere.  I was concerned they’d knock over an older passenger and hurt them.  I realize it’s exciting to be on vacation but it was crazy.  

So excited to see your review, as we’ll be on this cruise in a few weeks and it’s been years since we’ve been on Carnival.  One thing, when you’re at HMC, could you check out the shade situation?  I burn up in a clamshell but have read that there is really no other shade.  I’ve got skin the color of milk so am even considering taking a collapsible beach umbrella since we’re driving to the port.  Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Hope you’re having a great trip!

When we were at HMC last week, it looked like they had cut back trees because prior to the pirate ship bar there was little shade.  It was so hot. 

We booked last minute so all the cabanas were taken and I’m not a fan of the clamshells.  

We have had cabana 10 previously and it had LOTS of shade around it.  Maybe that shade is now gone?   

Does anyone know if they cut down trees at HMC?   Maybe we didn’t walk down the beach far enough 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, audcc77 said:

When we were at HMC last week, it looked like they had cut back trees because prior to the pirate ship bar there was little shade.  It was so hot. 

We booked last minute so all the cabanas were taken and I’m not a fan of the clamshells.  

We have had cabana 10 previously and it had LOTS of shade around it.  Maybe that shade is now gone?   

Does anyone know if they cut down trees at HMC?   Maybe we didn’t walk down the beach far enough 🤷‍♀️

There has never been much shade at HMC except for the lunch area. Princess Cays has a lot more shaded areas.

15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

There has never been much shade at HMC except for the lunch area. Princess Cays has a lot more shaded areas.

Not true. As I stated, we had shade around our cabana. We’ve always gotten numbers 10-12 and there was shade.  It’s quite a hike from the entrance.  

This video is old but there was shade at HMC within the last 4 years.  

7 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Not true. As I stated, we had shade around our cabana. We’ve always gotten numbers 10-12 and there was shade.  It’s quite a hike from the entrance.  

And compare those perhaps 50 chairs with some shade during parts of the day with all of the shade trees, shade structures, etc., all over the Princess Cays resort. My point stands.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alexintheboro said:

Wife and I will be sailing on her in June for a 4 nighter to HMC.  Do you board her on the Ground Level or through a Jetway?

You board on deck 3, Lobby, walking up a jetway. If you are in a scooter or wheelchair you can board on deck zero however.

Edited by mz-s

2 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Thanks for the video.  We aren’t renting a cabana so wouldn’t want to set up close to one.  That seems rude to the people who bought them.  I think I will take my umbrella then we can set up anywhere.  Thanks!

Thank you for doing this. We will be sailing June 2 with 3 grandchildren (7, 12, 14), but they will be supervised! We go to Nassau, the dates for HMC didn't work, I would have preferred that.

Some pictures from the day. Will answer some questions later. Sometimes this page will not load but Facebook and others will. Have not had issues with other internet usage at all!  So glad that they fixed that before this week. 

D097CAFA-4B3A-4CFC-B0D4-18ADA2903EBA.jpeg

7140CA5F-C673-49A6-A0A2-0535F27140D9.png

AAB512EC-6CC3-442E-984A-0F3A96971B02.png

7083732E-1CEC-4CB1-B43A-295A9667E68F.png

5FACBA18-13C1-4B27-8C65-3C00EF4E81E9.jpeg

AEFB3298-BC83-40C7-A4B8-693A05A0BA05.jpeg

56B14DC1-E122-4C93-9302-3970B1AE40F7.jpeg

ED983C14-EA21-4B52-A882-855F68B16E4A.jpeg

88AD9696-44F4-4511-9943-64CB03D93436.jpeg

BEF9197F-265C-4269-B5EC-74A5B1AB8783.jpeg

A02ED758-34E6-4790-B007-4B8BE387825E.jpeg

511E3771-62F6-4FE9-9B2F-585F8C23A0CA.jpeg