November 2022 round Australia Queen Elizabeth

Hi Lissie, I see you're going on a cruise in July and that is so exciting.  We love QE and our last cruise on her was in 2019 Tokyo to Alaska and it was fabulous.

We have a cruise on Princess planned in Sep LA-Syd which we hope will go smoothly.  How has your process of flight arrangements, testing, etc gone if you don't mind me asking?  We feel so tentative and would love to hear of your experience to help us.  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alibabacruisers said:

Hi Lissie, I see you're going on a cruise in July and that is so exciting.  We love QE and our last cruise on her was in 2019 Tokyo to Alaska and it was fabulous.

We have a cruise on Princess planned in Sep LA-Syd which we hope will go smoothly.  How has your process of flight arrangements, testing, etc gone if you don't mind me asking?  We feel so tentative and would love to hear of your experience to help us.  Thank you in advance.

Well we are doing at test run -  flying to Fiji for a resort break in a few weeks!  

We aren't flying direct - we have a few day in Hawaii on the way. So far both sets of flight have changed multiple times. The Air NZ to Hawaii moved days - they still haven't sorted our seats but they are a nightmare to get hold of, at least we do have a booking on the day near where I wanted.. The internal flight which is qantas points  seems to have settled down now and hasn't changed times for a month or so LOL. I guess its all about the airlines ramping up again. 

The testing has become much easier and cheaper in NZ now - as we  fly out at night its good to have the 1 day before not the 24 hours - so we will just book a chemist the day before.  

SF testing is more difficult  - that's 2 days before boarding for Cunard. Its really expensive - US$80-US$90 - we are considering doing a supervised video test - they aren't available in NZ- but I think I can get US based family to bring them to us (they are coming out prior to us leaving) and then we could do it on wifi on the phone  from the hotel - which would be better than wasting hours trying to find a place. So far I have options but not a firm plan. 

We are also trying to get a 2nd booster shot before we go - hopefully he'll be approved by the government before July - I'm trying to get in a clinical trial for younger people which would get me one. 

Remember to get an ESTA for the USA. 

The most drama for us was getting insurance -my partner has pre-existing conditions and being away for so long, in the USA and cruising - luckily we have an agent and although its not cheap and doesn't cover Covid but it covers his heart issues which is what matters to us. 

I  havent' even thought about the testing for October cruise - if its even a thing then - we'll be in Barcelona a few days precruise  but apart from that ... 

Edited by lissie