Help!! $1722.50 Internet Charge..........

Fellow Cruisers,

I was on Explorer of the Seas on a 5 night cruise before Christmas.

When leavining the ship I reviewed the charges on the Folio Summary that was left on my door. It was correct (in the amount of under $200 dollars).

Imagine my surprise when I receive my Amex bill the next month showing an amount 10 times what I had charged onboard. After disputing the bill, I now have found out that Royal Caribbean added an internet charge of $1722.50 after we left. That is 3445 minutes of use??!! This is clearly a mistake, as we did (and happily pay) a $7.00 internet charge that we did use.

I have called Royal Caribbean Customer Service asking to take it off, but after almost two weeks have not received a response.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what to do next? It troubles me a great deal, and Amrican Express insists that I now owe them this amount.

Sincerely,

Globetrotter11

Globetrotter: That stinks!!! in my past experience with Amex they have always been very helpful in disputing a charge. I would contact amex and speak with a manager and tell them you want to dispute it. It may take a few weeks to get it resolved, but it is better than having to pay for that!! Good Luck!! :)

I would keep calling RCI until you get a response. In addition, Amex should be doing a little more for you - on the couple of occasions I've had to dispute a charge with Visa, they've been great at looking into it for me, and reversing the charges if they're satisfied that I was making a legitimate complaint.

I used to work for a credit card company. I assume you've disputed the charge with AmEx. If you haven't formally disputed the charge, call AmEx and do so. If you have, then during that process, RCI should have had to provide documentation supporting the internet charge; specifically log in / log out times. It would be interesting to see if you can get those and then prove that you were elsewhere during those times (at dinner, for example, or on an excurson, or at bar buying another drink). I think it would be physically challenging to spend 57 hours online on a 5 night cruise. I would escalate the issue to supervisors and managers at AmEx if you are not getting direct answers and proof.

I would also get back on the phone with RCI and start escalating your complaint to supervisors and managers as well. Get names of who you talked to and start creating a paper trail. I would also put the complaint in writing and send it certified mail; I bet someone on here has an address you can use.

Thank you guys,

The only thing I have received from AMEX is an amended final bill with the $1722.50 added to the bill that I received - no substantiation of the charges. Also there is a copy of the flyer advertising the availability of the internet cafe, which I did use to the tune of $7.00 dollars.

Ameican Express so far has been of little help, so I think you must be right in that it is time to become more active in this matter.

Have any of you heard of anyone else having this happen to them? I would like to know how others resolved this.

This is my second time on RCCL, and this is totally contrary to what my experiences has been with this cruise line up until now.

Thanks,

Globetrotter11

Ameican Express so far has been of little help, so I think you must be right in that it is time to become more active in this matter.

From your information, I agree. You will just need to hurry and be aggressive with AmEx. If the charge was from around Xmas, you are very close to potentially losing your ability to dispute the charge. Fortunately, AmEx is their own entity, so they are no encumbered by Visa / MC regs, which helps a bit. Still, I would call them today and place the charge into dispute. That will suspend it from your balance, and no interest will accrue. It will force Amex to contact RCI to validate the charge and collect proof. I would still continue to pursue the matter with RCI as well.

I've never heard of such a big error, but someone just posted on here recently about incorrect charges posted to their account, and they were ultimately able to get the issue resolved while still onboard.

Good luck.

When leavining the ship I reviewed the charges on the Folio Summary that was left on my door. It was correct (in the amount of under $200 dollars).

Pressumably the <$200 bill was uptodate as of a certain time on your cruise - any internet charges up to that time should be included in that bill... you can't have used 50 odd hours AFTER the bill arrived under your door. What was there excuse for this excess charge (i.e. why was it not on your folio summary)?

Good luck with this - you WILL sort it out, just incredibly frustrating that it takes time and effort to do it! :(

Ameican Express so far has been of little help, ... I would like to know how others resolved this.
As another said, you must immediately dispute the charge using the procedures AMEX outlines, probably on the back of the bill. Until you've done that, you rights are very limited.

I'd fax the folio sheet and a letter to RCI immediately. There wouldn't be 57 hours time between the creation of the folio and your exit from the ship, so it would seem easy for them to see there had been an error.

Also, call Amex and dispute the charge. No one should give you any problem about doing so, they handle things like this every minute of every day. Please keep us posted how this pans out....seems awfully strange for sure.

Sounds like another good reason to just secure a sea pass account with cash/traveller's checks. Once you are off the ship, they have no way to "hit" you with something like this. :)

Tracy

On a 7 day cruise that would be 8 hours a day.:eek: I would call RCCL and not hang up until someone with enough authority got on the phone and cleared that up. Nobody could honestly believe that anyone would spend that much time on the internet.

Except for some of us on these boards...;)

Getting thru to someone who actually has a clue at customer service once you're off the ship is a difficult thing. You're going to have to keep calling and asking who the people higher up are. It might help to demand proof that you used the internet that much.

I do have one question. Did you have your laptop with you? If you did, did you use it to connect to the internet? If you did, there is the remote possibility that once you logged on, the WiFi connection may not have ever actually logged off, even if you attempted to log off.

There have been a couple of times where I was certain that I logged off but, later went back to the computer only to find the connection still active. I realize that this would be a reach for it to happen while you're on a ship but I believe it is possible.

Looks like all of the responses were assuming you weren't traveling with 10 teenage children who spent the entire cruise in the internet cafe; and it took the cruise staff that much extra time to kick all the kids off the computers so a FINAL, FINAL bill could be reconciled.

Unless I missed it, you have only contacted AmEx by telephone. I have not used AmEx but have had occasion to dispute VISA and MC charges. In both cases I was told the request to dispute a charge must be in writing and submitted along with any available documentation supporting your side of the story. Be sure to also send your complaint in writing to the Customer Relations department at RCI.

Best of luck to you.

You have 60 days from receiving your Amex bill to file a written complaint. All of the details on how to do it should be on the reverse of the Amex bill. My experience with them is they are very pro cardholder. They will not hold you responsible for the charge until they receive written proof of the charge from RCL.

You say you had a charge of $7 for internet use. Is that the one and only time anyone on your folio used the internet? Could someone on your folio have logged on and then forgot to log off, letting the clock run?

I had a dispute with a vendor using my amex card. I called and spoke with them and told them that i want to dispute the charge..i paid my bill, less the amount of the dispute.....amex went to bat for me and i didn't have to pay the dispute....you need to call and speak with someone and tell them you want to dispute the charge.....whoever you spoke with must not have understood.....this is one of the best services that amex offers....call and speak to a supervisor.......don't stop until someone pays attention!!!!

I deal with Amex both as a customer and a merchant. Amex always sides with the customer until the merchant can prove otherwise. They must not have understood you wanted to dispute the charge or the person you spoke with did not know how to handle it.

I would not bother calling in anymore. Nothing can be verified from a phone conversation. I would either write your complaint and mail to them or log on to your account online. They have a way you can file a dispute online once you log in to your account.

Hi everybody,

I really appreciate your responses and suggestions. This really is an amazing board.

Let me summarize what has transpired so far.

The month after I returned from the cruise, I found a $1722.50 charge beyond what I had spent on the voyage. Believing that this would turn out to be a simple mistake, I called American Express to dispute the charge. Supporting my position was the final statement that was left on the door of my cabin on the last morning before disembarking and was faxed in.

After waiting about one month I called Amex back to check on the status of the dispute. The rep stated that Royal Caribbean had shown an internet charge, and that I was responsible for it. I was naturally stunned, but was told that I would have to wait until their letter reached me to see what it was. As it turned out, RCCL had simply added a line with $1722.50 to the original bill that I received, with no additional substantiation.

Today I contacted Amex again and brought up the following points (thanks guys!) -

- It is impossible to incur 57 hours of last minute charges between closing

out the bill and disembarking the ship. Even on our 5 night/ 4 day cruise

this would add up to nearly 15 hours per day..

- absent from RCCL's substantiation was anything other than adding an

additional charge after I left (no time of use etc)

The rep said that she would reopen the dispute and that she would forward my concern to their dispute resolution department. Complicating the issue is the fact that Amex does not allow customers to communicate directly with the people that handle the matter, whether in writing or by telephone. Everything gets relayed through the regular customer service number.

On Feb 17 I called RCCL directly hoping to clear this matter up. A pleasant customer service representative told me she would look into it and let me know by the weekend. Upon returning from a 6 day trip to Asia I had still not received a response. When I called to follow up today, I was informed that the original rep was off, and that I should expect to hear back from her later.

Teenagers - Yes, i travelled with two of them (we were in separate cabins). And yes - they had a laptop computer. When boarding the ship I asked about the possibilities of using our own equipment. There were two options. One, unlimited dial-up service from our room for a flat rate of $100 for the duration of the cruise. Two, establishing an account at the front desk and get a password allowing use of wireless internet at 4-5 locations on the ship. This was NOT done.

On two occasions we did use the ship's computers. It was brief, and totalled $7.00 after using a coupon as a Crown & Anchor member. This was reflected on the bill I received and naturally I had no problem with paying that.

Every evening I checked our onboard charges as is suggested, and no errors were found.

At this point I am feeling ambushed, since clearing this matter up would have been much simpler while on the ship. To put things in context, the amount added after we left the ship is higher than the total of the three of us travelling and our expenditures onboard for 5 nights.

I appreciate your support and will keep you informed as soon as I hear back from Royal Caribbean or American Express.

Sincerely,

Globetrotter11

The rep said that she would reopen the dispute and that she would forward my concern to their dispute resolution department. Complicating the issue is the fact that Amex does not allow customers to communicate directly with the people that handle the matter, whether in writing or by telephone. Everything gets relayed through the regular customer service number.

This is a BIG problem with Amex. I had an issue (I cancelled a card and they charged me a annual fee the following month) that took 3 months to clear up because the customer service department said they would take care of things. They never did. I finally requested that they send me in writing that they are working on this. Only THEN did the customer service rep (who had put me on hold to talk to their supervisor) tell me it's a different department who handles it. Within less than a week I recieved a letter from them saying it was under investigation and 2 weeks it was cleared.

If you don't have anything in writing and only getting something verbal from Amex - ask for something in writing to be sent to you.

Good Luck..

I'm new to all this-first cruise in a few weeks-but I'm confused-I would assume that a "final bill" reviewed upon disembarking is a FINAL BILL-how can they go back and add something onto your bill? Is this a common occurence? I can't believe this mess! Best of luck and keep us posted!

Better check again with those "Teenagers". I find it a little hard to believe they brought along a laptop and then didn't use it at all, unless they were watching DVD's with it. Then again I don't trust the computers that figure the bills either. Good luck.

I second checking with those teenagers again. When we were on our Brilliance cruise, we took our laptop with us. We were told all we had to do was switch on our WiFi connection, bring up their page, enter our folio number, choose a password and we were set. We wouldn't even have to stop by customer service, just be in a location where we could make the WiFi connection.

Even if they did have to stop by CS, I can easily see CS setting up an account for the teenagers without your knowledge or permission.

Archived