Artictreks dot com

SEPyle

In searching for options for artic circle flights I found this company. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with any of these tours. I called and spoke to Terry McGhee, who seemed very accomodating. I always feel better of course knowing others on CruiseCritic have had good experience with them.

Thanks in advance!

There are a WIDE range of areas to go. I would suggest you look at those and determine what you want out of the tour??? Some of these "tours" are lacking in my opinion because they just go back and forth and give you a certificate.

Better for me is to go to a destination of interest (bush community) or superior scenic value (Anaktuvuk Pass) , or good price (cargo runs) etc etc etc.

I have flown many times above the Arctic Circle, there are way too many options to consider. :)

There are a WIDE range of areas to go. I would suggest you look at those and determine what you want out of the tour??? Some of these "tours" are lacking in my opinion because they just go back and forth and give you a certificate.

Better for me is to go to a destination of interest (bush community) or superior scenic value (Anaktuvuk Pass) , or good price (cargo runs) etc etc etc.

I have flown many times above the Arctic Circle, there are way too many options to consider. :)

Thanks Budget Queen helping in narrowing down my choices. Actually there are many choices listed on the web site. I spoke to Terry, who I believe is the owner. He asked me to email him the exact dates we'll be in Fairbanks, the number of people in our group, and he will get backt to me with his suggestions including several choices. He mentioned Anaktuvuk Pass and said we would be on land at least a half hour. In exploring the various options I came across Tour #2000: "The Brooks Range Gates of the Artic" (Ancient Mountains, and Artic Tundra, far beyond the Artic Circle); and is listed as a 6 hour tour. Here's the description:

This is one of the most remote regions in the world; uninhabited except for the small Nunamiat Eskimo village of Anaktuvuk Pass. these people are one of the last groups of True-hunter-gatherers in the world to settle in a permanent place. Ancient mountains, Artic Tundra, Eskimo culture, come together fo a truly memorable Artic Journey for above the Artic Circle.

The Pass at Anaktuvuk is a unique artic ecosystem, bounded by the Gates of the Artic National Park, where glacially carved mountains rise 4,000-feet above a broad tundra valley. Visit a small cultural history museum of the Nunamiut poeple, the Simon paneak Memorial Museum.

Located in the northern Brooks Range at the edge of the Artic Coastal Plain, this strategic pass is a major migration route for 450,000 Barren Ground Caribou, the largest caribou herd in the world. Tundra travel via 8-wheel all terrain vehicle with Eskimo guide. This tour is not recommended for under age 12-years.

Budget Queen, does this sound like a good one to you? Of course price does make a difference and yesterday Terry mentioned a 4 hour option, staying on land for 1/2 hour, and mentioned the cost of $269. Of course that may be the price because I have a group, but I will find out. The above tour sounds as if we'll get the beauty of the area, and more than touching down just to get a certificate saying we were there! If the above tour is more expensive because it includes a 6 hour option and the 8-wheel all terrain portion, my feeling is that it would be worth an extra cost since we would be on land longer.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sharon

Archived