Please help a haggard Mom plan an anniversary cruise!

mtnmommy

Cunard Experts,

I've really enjoyed reading this board, and I would greatly appreciate some advice from you Cunard experts on planning my 15th wedding anniversary trip. We are considering a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in late May/early June. Bit of background: We're in our late 30s and usually travel with our small children, but we're throwing ourselves on the mercy of the grandparents and leaving the kids at home. We've cruised HAL on seven-day trips in Alaska and the Caribbean. I've been on longer HAL cruises--Panama Canal and South America--with my Mom. We love HAL's smaller ships for their old-school grace and charm.

We adore the idea of a formal, slow-paced cruise--dressing to the nines, good champagne, and moonlight on the ocean. My husband was born in Greece and loves formal dining. I saw "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" at an impressionable age and decided that an ocean crossing was the epitome of glamour! However, our reality is, my husband's job requires exhausting international travel several times a month, while my conversation has been reduced to statements like, "Guess who made a poopy in the big potty today?" This is our dream trip.

Because we'll be so tired at the outset, we were thinking of taking the eastbound, then spending a week in England or Scotland. Is this a good idea or bad because of the time lost going east? Do you think I'm on the right track with this vacation? Does it sound like Cunard is our cup of tea? My husband has been known to get a bit seasick, but is usually fine with Bonine--will the Atlantic be O.K. for him? We've sailed in a verandah on HAL--don't know if this will be possible, but I do get a bit of claustrophobia--what cabin level do you recommend? With my foodie husband, what dining experiences do you suggest?

Thank you for any advice you have! My brain works slowly these days, so I need all the help I can get. I've heard pregnancy hormones slow the thinking process, but my kids are both bio and adopted, so I think it is just parenthood! Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

If you will be flying in one direction. why don't you fly over, do the Scotland and England thing (don't try to pack in too much) then the TA for a relaxing trip home?

As for food, Brittania food is excellent. Only complaints we really had there were a couple of fish dishes that were, as we called them, al dente <G> But ask your waiter, "How's the fish tonight?" They'll be pretty straight and recommend away from something if is isn't good. Of course this probably works better on the late seating. BTW, Other night's fish dishes were fabulous!

We sailed in an obstructed balcony to Panama- It was just fine. Many say the in hull balconies are just great for a crossing, as there isn't much to see once you get away from land, and there is plenty of sky and air. Some folks have been known to leave their doors open at night. I considered sleeping out there one comfortable night, but never did- The beds and he duvet were so wonderful!

Congrats~!

Loved the poopy in the big potty comment!

You can always tell a coworker with young kids- "I need to go potty" instead of "I'm going to the ladies' room!"

Karie,

who is so glad she never indulged the urge.

My brain is still functioning and I don't FEEL older. (It's having kids that make you "act" old- You have to be "responsible" now!<G>)

Lisa:

had a nice chuckle over your post, but also sympathising! We only have one, but sometimes it feels like more. We're going Westbound in July for our tenth anniversary, leaving our daughter with grandparents, and beyond what looks like a lovely ship/voyage, we're mostly looking forward to spending six days together with no distractions. Hoping we can move our conversation to a higher plane ...

Whatever you choose, it will be so relaxing!

Karen

Karie, thanks for the advice! I think the in-hull balconies may be for us. Currently, we're looking at spending a few days in the Cotswolds before the trip. Looks like a beautiful area. We've been to London before and are looking to see a bit of the countryside this time. Karen, yes, I empathize! Doesn't six days at sea sound great? Hopefully, we won't sleep the entire time! We will probably take our trip in May or June, so I will post and let you know how it goes and all the wonderful things in store for you.

Any other advice out there for Cunard newbies? What should we be sure not to miss? Any advice on the land extensions--the other tempting trip was the Cunard land trip to Edinburgh.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

If you will be flying in one direction. why don't you fly over, do the Scotland and England thing

It's not as big a country as America, but you can't "do it" in a few days before returning on QM2......

Point taken, Kindly Chap, but please don't take offense. I think the poster simply advised that we visit England or Scotland before the cruise, not after, and that was her choice of phrase. My husband and I hope to visit the Cotswolds for several days, and I am sure that will not be enough time to enjoy such a wonderful area. We would never presume that we could see an entire country in such a limited amount of time...I'm too tired to have a "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" mentality!

Archived