COVID TESTING WHERE?

godzukihop

Can any recent VV cruisers share their procedure. I was told today we need a negative Covid test no older than 48 hours at embarkation, but the person on the phone was not 100% sure if they offered testing at the port. Walgreens is talking about booking an appointment on line, just not sure if there is an easier way.

I got an email for my Caribbean cruise (different rules for Europe/UK) with the info about testing 48 hrs prior - my email said there would be testing at the port for those who needed it. I am about 21 days out. Were you informed by email or over the phone?

4 minutes ago, dukefan94 said:

I got an email for my Caribbean cruise (different rules for Europe/UK) with the info about testing 48 hrs prior - my email said there would be testing at the port for those who needed it. I am about 21 days out. Were you informed by email or over the phone?

I was not informed at all. Just trying to be prepared, we are 25 days out for out of Miami.

53 minutes ago, godzukihop said:

I was not informed at all. Just trying to be prepared, we are 25 days out for out of Miami.

You must be on right after us! It is also on the website (2nd paragraph):

2. COVID-19 antigen testing prior to boarding
As the world changes, we’re evolving our practices and testing protocols as well. So in light of that, Sailors are welcome to bring a negative COVID-19 test instead of testing at the terminal (either a PCR test: a polymerase chain reaction molecular test, commonly called a “PCR test” or “NAAT test”, or an Antigen Test, also called a rapid antigen test, or a lateral flow test) administered by a health professional in the 48 hours prior to boarding.

We encourage you to bring your own test results if possible so you can travel with peace of mind and significantly speed up your boarding process before hopping aboard our beautiful Scarlet Lady. However, we understand how busy life can be, and will continue to offer freetesting at the terminal in the event that you are unable to test prior to arriving at the port.

If you’re able to bring your own negative COVID-19 test results, we will be accepting the following formats: a printed document, an email, a PDF or image of your certified results, or a telehealth/clinician application notification. We will not accept handwritten doctors notes, an image of a test cartridge, or a physical test cartridge.

Whether you are able to bring your own test results or you plan to test at the terminal, be sure to stick to the arrival time you pre-selected in the Sailor App during check-in.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see that telehealth results will work. We’re using that option for RCL cruise in a few weeks. Not free, but the convenience of getting the test done is worth it to us. Most of the testing sites in our area have moved to PCR testing only. 

To recap - yes you can show a lab administered NAAT or PCR test within 48 hours OR you can still test in port.
A recent cruiser mentioned she tested at Walgreens to avoid the chaos that port testing seems to be (well hit at miss at least). There is a Walgreens about a mile or so from the port that takes appointments up to a week out from testing date. I made one for there since we will be in a day early. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, godzukihop said:

Can any recent VV cruisers share their procedure. I was told today we need a negative Covid test no older than 48 hours at embarkation, but the person on the phone was not 100% sure if they offered testing at the port. Walgreens is talking about booking an appointment on line, just not sure if there is an easier way.

I just sailed on Scarlet Lady out of Miami a week ago.  They now offer two options....port testing where you wait 20-30 minutes for a result OR arrive with a lab produced PCR Test within 48 hours of sailing.  Most people seemed to show up with a lab produced PCR Test so boarding was a breeze.  Even for the people who chose to get tested at the Port, the waiting time seemed to be minimal.  Hope that helps you.....and enjoy your voyage!

Edited by Raiders4Life32
  • Like 1

We are not cruising for a few months and I realize that things could change between now and then.  However, the VV person I spoke with on the phone was totally NOT helpful.  He could not tell me if there was a different policy between boarding in the US vs. boarding in Europe or whether there was a charge for testing at the terminal.  All he did say was that if at all possible, we should be tested on our own prior to arriving at the terminal because a lot of testing at the terminal could slow down the embarkation process.  Thanks (not).  Honestly, our airline's website was far more helpful than the VV personnel were.  I believe that I now have the info I need, current as of today.  It just wasn't available from VV.

@cantgetin on the Virgin website (https://www.virginvoyages.com/voyage-well#sailing) they have testing requirements detailed depending on where you are cruising to (Caribbean vs UK/Europe). I am going to attempt to add a screenshot (LOL)

image.thumb.png.b53c7294aaa64c767e08de439387aa42.png

That being said, I also got an email about 3-4 weeks out from my upcoming sailing detailing the testing requirements at the time. 

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

We are not cruising for a few months and I realize that things could change between now and then.  However, the VV person I spoke with on the phone was totally NOT helpful.  He could not tell me if there was a different policy between boarding in the US vs. boarding in Europe or whether there was a charge for testing at the terminal.  All he did say was that if at all possible, we should be tested on our own prior to arriving at the terminal because a lot of testing at the terminal could slow down the embarkation process.  Thanks (not).  Honestly, our airline's website was far more helpful than the VV personnel were.  I believe that I now have the info I need, current as of today.  It just wasn't available from VV.

Everything you need to know is on the Virgin Voyages Voyage Well website! Link shared above so I won't repeat it - but this is a brilliant resource!