First Operator on Hiva Oa Open

Bassethound

The island's first dive shop opened a couple of months ago and we dove with Eric 2 weeks ago. He is really knowledgable about the sites (the only ones with names are the ones he has named) and has great, hardly used equipment.

I have his phone number here somwhere, I'll post when I find it.

Traveling by planes', helicopter and boat seem pretty standard fair for such a trip (very pricey). Did you arrive in Nuku Hiva? Did you dive Fatu Hiva Island, Ua Huku Island? I'm told try a liveaboard, you reach the sites and have dive support, what more could you ask for. To bad the U.S. doesn't have direct flights, but the layover in Pappete/Tahiti is'nt bad. For those unfamiliar in diving geography the Marquesas is very remote to go explore diving. One last question: did it seem a little like the caribbean?:) ...Paul

Stopped for the day from the Tahitian Princess. We were informed by Raphael of the operator on Nuku Hiva the day before that Eric had recently opened a shop on Hiva Oa. So, he kindly called Eric;s mobile phone and told him 6 of us were coming the next morning. Told him our vis wasn't so good at NH, so Eric took us out into the Channel for a channel manta ray dive, despite the swells (3-5 feet) and the current (3-4 knots). Lot's of manta and a couple of grey sharks. But, no hammerheads. Eric said he normally would not take unknown divers into those conditions, but Raphael had guided us the previous day and said we were OK.

A group snorkling from the beach in the bay saw a couple of hammerheads, though, right in the bay snorkling distance from the beach. And people on the sun deck of the TP say they were feeding the hammerheads from Deck 10. That's diving in the Marquesas.

There are so few divers, the mantas were not afraid, just cautious. Swam right up to us, but any movement and they were gracefully floating away.

It seemed alot like the Caribbean in that there was water and an island. That's about the extent and could apply to Lake Michigan also.

For one thing, you can't miss the shop. It's the small (10ft x 10 ft) corrugated aluminum shed next to the Mobil station on the pier. And his boat is the largest of thefive or so at the pier. There is not much on Hiva Oa.

Also of note, all of his loaner equipment is new, he even had to unpackage some of it for us. Also, since we had six of us and one of him and he only has 12 tanks, we could only do a single tank dive.:o

DW seems to have thrown out the piece of paper with his phone, but I'm getting it from a buddy on Nuku Hiva.

No, I don't think that's him. The Eric i'm talking about is a little older with salt and pepper hair, more salt. If I remember correctly he's maybe German.

The reason for the inquiry is that this particular Eric is also very Knowledgable in both diving and photography. I was under the suspicion he was relocating for a photography shoot and you caught him on some down time. He has done alot of work where you were.

Just a little background if you're interested. He's another one of those diving pioneers that you can honor diving with. He's good. His work is an education in experience. He is well published. He takes nice pictures too (I see his work most with dive magazines). Cool flicks. If you were a photo bug a lesson with him could probably put you on the map. That good! Well, that's about it, thanks for checking...Paul:)

Nope, definitely not the same Eric. But, you've given me reason to return!!

Got the contact information just today.

On Nuku Hiva

Plongee Marquises

www.marquises.pf and look at Nuju Hiva diving

marquisesdiving@mail.pf

689.920.088 Marie and Xavier are the two I know.

On Hiva Oa

Eric

ph 689.927.088

mobile 689.270.524

I also have some word docs and pdfs if someone would like.:)

Archived